SY-300 - Recommended amps or guitar amp settings for live?

Started by bbjones, September 22, 2016, 09:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbjones

Hi,
I'm evaluating the SY300 for the main purpose of using it live to add in some synth lines while playing guitar.  Things like being able to play the lead synth lines in the Cars - Just what I needed.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to rely on the house PA plus I'd want a stage amp anyway for reference.

Ideally I can just keep using my guitar rig and simply either play guitar like normal, or kick in the SY300 for a synth line.

My current amp is a VHT Pitbull with a marshall 4x12 (GT75's).

As you might guess the SY sounds pretty harsh through a guitar amp by default.

Here's some thoughts I plan to try out, but I'd also like to hear from others what gave them the best sound quality for live playback with the SY:

• Tweak the SY EQ etc to find a good enough balance and just play back through the guitar amp
  • Split the Marshall 4x12 to stereo and run a second clean amp just for the SY.  This introduces lots of problems such as needing a second amp and needing 2 mics live.
  • Run an entirely separate amp for stage reference, an amp and speaker combo suited for synth.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. does anyone have an awesome patch for the Cars - Just what I needed?  :)

rolandvg99

SY-300 synth tones tend to sound harsh through a guitar cab, but can be made to sound OK with the onboard EQ. I run the Master out to my guitar amp (ZT Lunchbox with cab) and Sub-outs at fixed level to FOH. My new setup is using just the SY-300 and the Primova Sound MIDX-20 and some controllers. The AMP-sim in th SY is weak, but I add some fake cab resonance using a 0 depth phaser.

My other setups utillize a HK Audio Lucas Nano 600 or direct to FOH.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Elantric

Rhcole

You should be able to use the same amp if you are mostly using the SY for accent synth type lines. Play mostly monophonic lines only. Use a compressor in addition to EQ and do your best to keep from overdriving the amp. You can also experiment with using filter synth sweeps to emphasize the "synthy" qualities despite rolling back the tone on the synths.