AES 141th Convention Los Angeles SEPT 29 thru OCT. 2 , 2016

Started by Elantric, September 15, 2016, 12:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

AES 140th Convention Los Angeles SEPT 29 thru OCT. 2 , 2016

It's almost go time!
In just two weeks, the doors open for the 141st Audio Engineering Society International Convention at the Los Angeles Convention Center. And there's still time for you to get in! Sweetwater has arranged for an Exhibits-Plus Badge, so you can attend from September 29 through October 1 — for FREE!

This badge gets you into the huge exhibit hall, where you can see the newest and latest gear and meet the companies and people that are introducing the technologies of the future — or reinventing the technologies of the past.

Don't miss this chance to chat with the experts in our industry. Sign up now and enter the code AES141SWEET for your free badge.

http://www.aes.org/events/141/registration/

Elantric

In March of 2014, I came across a letter published in that month's Journal of the Audio Engineering Society written by 97 year old Norman C. Pickering.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_C._Pickering
In his letter, Mr. Pickering recounted the very first days of the AES, taking us back to 1948 when a group of ten audio engineers sought a viable forum for the exchange of new discovery and best practices. A call was published in the January issue of Audio magazine for a meeting the following month and on the evening of February 17, 1948 a group gathered at the RCA Victor recording studios in New York to discuss the need for a professional organization to foster the growth of audio engineering. The group immediately agreed that such an organization should be formed. C.J. LeBel was to become the Society's first President and Norman Pickering, the youngest member of the original group of 10, its first Secretary. A motion was carried to form the Audio Engineering Society.

As we gather on September 28 to open our 141st AES Convention in Los Angeles, it is important to recognize that the significant goals and objectives of our founders remain just as relevant, just as noble and just as clear as they were 68 years ago. Over the convention's four days, we will become acquainted with best practices in the lab, studio and classroom by attending the illuminating workshops and tutorials that make up our technical program. We will hear from researchers who will present their most recent academic discoveries. We will assemble elite groups to develop comprehensive standards that will serve the interoperability required by our commercial industry.   We will look behind us to analyze the historical formats and great works of the past and we will look ahead as we encourage and nurture our next generation of professionals as students participate in recording and design competitions.    We will witness the most recent commercial applications of audio on the floor of our spectacular exhibition.  We will celebrate our most conspicuous achievers through the dissemination of honors and awards. And, of course, we will all enjoy making new industry connections that fuel our knowledge and support our career trajectories.  The AES remains just as essential as it was at its founding in 1948.

Norman C. Pickering passed away 11 months ago. You might have read this in the JAES. Before he did, I took the opportunity to write to him a short note thanking him for publishing his 2014 letter and most importantly, for starting this unparalleled organization that has offered so much to me in my own work as a recording engineer and as an educator. Mr. Pickering, a distinguished inventor, engineer, and AES Fellow kindly answered my note with these words:

"The beginning was a glorious time when all of us involved knew the importance of what we were doing and spent untold hours (and many dollars) doing it. You can imagine how wonderful it is to see how it developed."

As the youngest of the original 10, Norman C. Pickering lived long enough to see the AES flourish into something beyond his wildest imagination and in that spirit I implore you to join us at AES141 to learn, to connect, to be creative, to find inspiration, to follow your audio bliss and to have fun.

John Krivit

President, AES

www.aes.org