Roland GK-KIT-GT3/BG3

Started by RogerVG8EX, September 13, 2016, 01:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

Quote from: Elantric on September 14, 2016, 10:00:12 PM
Not likely  - there is no benefit of an early announcement  - it leaves dealers in the lurch with "obsolete" inventory.

Instead they will just slowly stop making various existing GK 13 pin devices.

They discontinued the GK4P parallel box back in 2004

In many locales they have already discontinued the US-20 A/B/Y Selector box ( I expect those to cease production in 1-18 months )

And I pointed out that when Boss announced their new Pro Audio cable line at 2016 NAMM, the Roland GK 13 pin cables were missing and well out of site.

https://www.roland.com/us/categories/accessories/cables/

I expect the GR-55 and GP-10 to remain in production at least until late 2017, when I expect at 2018 Musikmesse or NAMM trade show, a new Boss Guitar Synth product line will be introduced to the world in similar fashion as the last time Roland changed the cable type used in their hex pickup guitar synth systems.  It will be a repeat of the last time Roland changed from the 1976 -1988 era 24 pin style to the 1989-2018 era 13 pin style as introduced with the "new" for 1989 GR-50 and GK-2 with GK13 cable 

I suspect in 2018 a new Roland hex pickup with a different 8 pin shielded Cat-6 type RJ-45 cable as a GK-3 replacement   - that coincides with a new hex COSM processor "Boss GP-1" (?). Remember "COSM" is just Roland/Boss speak for "DSP"

Elantric what gives you this feeling?
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Elantric

QuoteElantric what gives you this feeling?

just my intuitions and observing Rolands / Boss's past behavior since 1977
and concluding my past track record of hunches and predictions from gazing into my well polished crystal ball have been proven to be right at least 75% of the time. ;)

Update - today I do not expect a new VG/GR Guitar Modeling / Synth until 2020

pasha811

Quote from: Elantric on September 15, 2016, 07:52:45 AM
just my intuitions and observing Rolands / Boss's past behavior since 1977
and concluding my past track record of hunches and predictions from gazing into my well polished crystal ball have been proven to be right at least 75% of the time. ;)

In that case I can't wait so we have to build a Time Machine! :-)
Do you think technology and computational power will ever be able to do the HRM using a standard cable instead?
I think that maybe a SY-300 on steroids might be able to do it?

Best
Pasha

Elantric

QuoteDo you think technology and computational power will ever be able to do the HRM using a standard cable instead?

HRM - yes

Capo  - Yes

Alt Tuning (i.e convert standard EADGBE to DADGAD ) - not without a hex PU

pasha811

Quote from: Elantric on September 15, 2016, 08:04:34 AM
HRM - yes

Capo  - Yes

Alt Tuning (i.e convert standard EADGBE to DADGAD ) - not without a hex PU

Thanks

What I can say, from Italy is that the main store in my city has run out of stock pf GP10s and GP10 1 year ago. GK3 stock is the usual 1 while the 'Roland Foresta' shop has both GP10, SY300 and GK3. It really seems that there's a slowdown in replenishment and also a slowdown in interest. SY300 was sold and immediately taken back in December, possibly due to a Musician that didn't found Nirvana with that. So I guess your right. This technology needs a new push, new form factor, new cables, new capabilities... evolution. :)

Elantric

That's better than California

I was in LA last week , and zero GP-10. One GR-55 one SY-300 in the used shelf
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/?Ntt=sy-300&Ns=r
And that's after visiting three different large Guitar Centers

I also observe that the number of customers in Guitar Center is beginning to match many other former retail stores like Kmart and Sears - sales staff out-numbered actual customers on the floor by 3:1 - thanks to Amazon online shopping , and karma  - nobody wants to suffer the demeaning former sales force at Guitar Center (in LA it was so full of rock star attitude sales staff that used to work there before they got fired or replaced with genuine supportive sales associates.

But it's apparent big box stores like Guitar Center days are numbered here in USA

drbill

I'd like a new system where the onboard electronics merely provided buffered hex + mag pickup signals to outboard processor(s) (Roland, Fishman, Line6, Antares, whatever).
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

Elantric

QuoteI'd like a new system where the onboard electronics merely provided buffered hex + mag pickup signals to outboard processor(s)

Essentially that's what the old GK-2/GK-3 are

But i predict we can count on no more DIN 13 plugs , not sure what they have in mind for a replacement at this time

But They might just abandon hex pickups altogether and focus on more SY-300 type technology  - and just leave hex pickup processors to Antares and Fishman to fill the void (and "void" is more like a teacup of interest compared to an ocean of Angus Young / Slash wannabee's!)
I predict Fishman will introduce something interesting to our forum in the not too distant future (18 months or less)

But I  need to remind folks that Roland creates guitar synthesizer's due to a passion to innovate and bulk of these products have not been huge profit centers for Roland or their Dealers. (its more of a post sale support nightmare for the typical Roland/Boss Dealer - which explains why most do not stock or promote these products )

After Roland founder  Ikutaro Kakehashi left Roland in 2014,
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12658.0

I'm sure a few bean counters in current management  roles are crying a sigh of relief:

" now we can finally drop those non profitable GK 13 pin processors from the product line"

RogerVG8EX

I think that the Hex pickup is crucial, because if you want to model guitars and have alt tunings, a GK pickup is needed. I think that Roland won't discontinue the GR-55. However, I'm 100% sure that the Roland V-Guitar pedals will be discontinued before 2017.

Elantric

I'm reminded of this alternate 13 pin plug that Roland has already started using on some of their products

Is this the future "Boss GK cable" type?

Roland Super UA

gumbo

FOR THOSE IN OZ..
Item location: [Rochford], United Kingdom
Posting to: Australia, Europe, Asia, Brazil, New Zealand
Excludes: France, Germany, United Kingdom

eBay AU item number 162108615800 lists a GK-KIT-GT3 at AUD 140 including postage (quantity 10 available at time of posting)

...current over-the-counter price in Sydney is around AUD 215

HTH someone..

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

squatch

Quote from: gumbo on October 03, 2016, 05:45:57 PM
FOR THOSE IN OZ..
Item location: [Rochford], United Kingdom
Posting to: Australia, Europe, Asia, Brazil, New Zealand
Excludes: France, Germany, United Kingdom

eBay AU item number 162108615800 lists a GK-KIT-GT3 at AUD 140 including postage (quantity 10 available at time of posting)

...current over-the-counter price in Sydney is around AUD 215

HTH someone..

Cheers,
Peter

Hey Pete, I just bought two from the UK shop and they updated the listing to say there's still ten left
So it's hard to say exactly how many are leftover in that shop
Same thing happened when I bought the GR-S in Oz the other day. They added another two to the listing
Guitars: Parker, Kinman, Wilkinson, MJT
Amps: Fender SR, Ceriatone OTS
FX: Big Sky, Timefactor, Infinity, Lexicon etc
Hex: Roland VG-8 VG88, GR1, GRS, GRD, GI-10, GI-20, GKP-4
Synth: Roland MKB1000, MKS20, MKS30, XV2020 Kurzweil K1000, Kawai K5000S, Yamaha SY77, MU100, Korg Micro Preset

gumbo

A common 'ruse' on eBay, but just to get hold of the stuff at a reasonable price has got to be good anyway...   ;)

Glad you got in while they're still around !

Cheers,
Peter

ffata

That's right they're in stock. I ordered about a month ago.
I just received email from them that my GK-Kit has shipped today Nov. 2nd and according to the UPS tracking info will be on the truck for delivery in NJ tomorrow Nov. 3rd!!!
Amazing!

squatch

Yeah, mine also shipped out to Oz yesterday. I'm not expecting them that quickly though!
Was getting anxious 'cos I paid a month ago
I bought an extra one as well when I saw they were back in stock. I think three kits is enough for me!

I'll keep the GK-2a & GD-1 for my acoustics. Now I'm wondering whether I can mount a GK-2a on a resonator guitar
I suppose a bracket attached to the bridge or biscuit might work. Would sound awesome with a VIO patch
Synth: Roland MKB1000, MKS20, MKS30, XV2020 Kurzweil K1000, Kawai K5000S, Yamaha SY77, MU100, Korg Micro Preset

gumbo

Quote from: squatch on November 03, 2016, 02:31:11 AM
Yeah, mine also shipped out to Oz yesterday. I'm not expecting them that quickly though!
Was getting anxious 'cos I paid a month ago
I bought an extra one as well when I saw they were back in stock. I think three kits is enough for me!

I'll keep the GK-2a & GD-1 for my acoustics. Now I'm wondering whether I can mount a GK-2a on a resonator guitar
I suppose a bracket attached to the bridge or biscuit might work. Would sound awesome with a VIO patch

What tuning is on the reso ??
Peter

whippinpost91850

Just checked Anderton's in the UK still has them. Best price and fast shipping to the US

squatch

Quote from: gumbo on November 03, 2016, 04:45:25 AM
What tuning is on the reso ??
Peter

Hey gumbo, I just use regular tuning, dropped D and open D usually
I haven't got my head into open G tuning (and probably won't)
It's a Gilet deep-bodied National style with a roundneck, a nice one

Frank

For those in the UK still interested:
Roland UK told me on the phone a few minutes ago, that the GK-Kit is not discontinued and the next UK shipment is expected at the end of May.

mooncaine

Quote from: squatch on November 03, 2016, 08:26:36 AM
I haven't got my head into open G tuning (and probably won't)
This might help: it's like an open D tuning without the highest string. The same riffs that work on strings 2 and 3, on the open D style tuning, will work on strings 1 and 2 on an open G.

alexmcginness

Got 2 from Andertons a couple of weeks ago. Be advised that Andertons used UPS. UPS will rob you in the form of a brokerage fee when they deliver the parcel.  They charged me an additional $53 at the door when I recieved it.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

concordal

@alexmcginness:  You can clear parcels thru customs without using UPS as your broker.  See "How to self clear shipment at CBSA and avoid UPS brokerage fee"  at   http://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-clear-shipment-cbsa-avoid-ups-brokerage-fee/

HTH

Elantric

When I ordered my GK-KIT-GT3 from Andertons UK- they shipped here to California via Fedex or DHL, and customs fees were included   - but that was 2 years ago.

alexmcginness

I asked them about other shipping companies and they said they now use UPS exclusively.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

whippinpost91850

I got mine to the US form Andertons a couple of months ago with no extra fees