Variax JTV 69 or keep my Godin SA

Started by talljoe, June 08, 2016, 09:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talljoe

I currently play, just for my own amusement, a Godin (strat style) thru a GR55.

I don't use the synth, but I like the COSM sounds, particularly the 12 string acoustic for folky stuff, and  the standard pick-ups for electric stuff. I'm happy with the guitar/setup.   BUT........

I hate having 12 feet of 13 pin cable under my feet. I have previously had a Roland Strat that I used wirelessly to the amp.  The guitar changed instruments without any input from me and Roland wouldn't replace it (despite me sending a video of the problem), so that went and the Godin came to stay.

QUESTION:  Would a JTV 69 (SSS) be a good replacement, do people like the quality and playability ?

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks

TJ

admin

Its handy having an all in one guitar - but I would recommend an Antares ATG Internal kit over a Tyler Variax, because the Antares sounds better than Variax and allows use of a Magnetic hex PU  - which means you can actually use modeled  / Alt tuning with heavy Rock / Metal  / Surf music without changing your palm muting technique or suffer the the dreaded "Variax Piezo plink" 

QuoteI have previously had a Roland Strat that I used wirelessly to the amp.  The guitar changed instruments without any input from me and Roland wouldn't replace it (despite me sending a video of the problem),

FWIW - that was probably due to a bad Gk 13 cable - Roland Gk 13 cables vary in quality and shipped many bad cables  - detailed here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

talljoe

Thanks for the info. The Roland Strat (G5 ??) worked wirelessly thru a regular 1/4" cable to the transmitter box on the guitar strap. All the electronics were inside the guitar body.  I video'd strumming and the output changed while I played but Roland denied everything.

Isn't the Variax a similar guitar with all the electronics 'on board' ?  The JTV looks good, and I really hate tripping up on the very long 13 pin cable I currently have to use. I am also not a fan of non-standard stuff like that cable, but the Godin guitar itself is a nice instrument.

What does the Antares kit do ?  Does it require much woodwork/electric work ?  Not sure I'm up for that.

Thanks again,

TJ

Elantric

Then get a Tyler Variax -

I think the JTV-59 is the best version
I'm at the Line-6 Forum as "stevekc"
http://line6.com/support/user/82812-stevekc/

And we host the largest on-line repository of Tyler Variax patches

http://line6.com/support/topic/2163-share-and-download-20-h-d-models/

here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=138.0

talljoe

Thanks Elantric

Lots of posts regarding string slippage on the 69 in the past.  Do you know if this has been improved on new models ? (I'm really a Strat guy. Had a LP once and hated the neck, so would prefer not to have a 59.)

incidently, I get a bit of string slippage on my Godin Freeway !!)

TJ

Elantric

I believe what you are referring to is the problem of the JTV-69 "E" strings sitting too close to the edge of the fretboard around the 7th fret and making it impossible to play hammer ons consistently without suffering the E string falling off the edge of the fretboard

Many things contribute to this

* A wide "string to string" spacing at the Bridge

* A Nut cut with a  too wide "string to string" spacing

* A Neck whose Fretboard edges are not perfectly Straight, but "Bowed in"  - typically as a result of too aggressive final hand sanding during production.

My first two JTV-69's suffered all the above - I now own my third JTV-69.

Because my first two had bowed  -non straight fretboards wither E string nearly falling off the edge Like this:

James Tyler must love those old vintage strats with narrow Nuts, because my biggest complaint with JYV-69 is the nut width on the neck is just too narrow, and my big fingers find it hard to play a 1st position A7 chord with the open G string when the nut is "child size" narrow like the stock JTV-69.

Background:
http://www.guitarhq.com/fender.html
QuoteNeck Width.
From March 1962 to 1969, Fender marked their necks with an "official" neck width letter at the butt of the neck (in front of the date code). The "B" neck width is the normal width, as used on about 99% of all Fenders from this period. All other sizes were available by special order only. Also all pre-1962 Fender necks have a 1 5/8" nut width (though I'm sure there are some exceptions, but none I have seen).

A = 1 1/2" wide at the nut.
B = 1 5/8" wide at the nut (normal size).
C = 1 3/4" wide at the nut.
D = 1 7/8" wide at the nut.

Back in the 1960's  - Fender Strats could be ordered with different Nut widths.

I ordered my JTV-69 in 2010, but it took 9 months to deliver in Summer 2011

But within 3 minutes I could tell things were very wrong  - The Low E and high E strings were falling off the edge of the fretboard

I placed a metal yard stick straight edge on the edge of my JTV-60 fretboard and could see the fretboard Edge was not straight 

After negotiating with Line6, they replaced my JTV-69 with a different one - but this Second JTV-69 one had the same issue  - even worse

I had a dilemma, I saw that the advertised JTV-69 Nut Width was 1  5/8" (1.625")  and finally my only recourse was to measure the nut width on my JTV-69 which was 1.6135, point out mine was was not to spec,

and Line-6 swapped me out for a third JTV69, that finally had a straight edge fretboard. 

Here's the JTV-69 Tremolo setup doc I created: 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9371.0

Majiken

My 2 cents: if you haven't already, buy a JTV from a place that has a no-hassle return policy, play it intensely and listen carefully to the acoustic and 12-string models. I got one from Thomann in Germany, sent the first one back for some quality issue I don't remember anymore (2 or 3 years ago), then took the 2nd one to a gig and put it away during soundcheck when the owner's wife asked me if I was serious while I played the 12...  I've seen and heard some great-sounding JTV acoustic demos on Youtube, but that sound was not in the guitars I had- the GP10 models are much better!
That said, I have the same issues with the 13-pin as you, and since I have a good and reasonably-priced luthier am currently considering 2 alternatives: 1. switch to VGA jacks, plugs and cables for a much more rugged connection (this would surely require an adapter box, as the GP10 does not appear to have space for a parallel jack like the GR55 does), or 2. take advantage of the group buy and get the ATG internal kit- I don't want to hack up any of my current guitars, so I need to budget a complete new body to be routed specifically for that. I was enamored with the JTV's dashboard, including the ability to switch the modeled guitar pickups exactly as in the real world, and I understand the ATG does that too. But who knows? Maybe you'll get lucky with a JTV as well... good luck!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

talljoe

Well, my local 'toy' shop has two Variax guitars.  A JTV 59 with a serial number indicating an old manufacturing date, (think it's 2011)  and a Standard with a 2015 date.

The 59 doesn't have locking tuners (odd ?) It plays OK, it's C$1350, and I prefer Strat style SSS's.

The Standard looks and plays OK,(C$1075) but should I keep looking for a JTV69 for the better (?) quality. I really don't want to get one mail order, I want to see what I'm buying. Seems a lot of money for a Yamaha.

Played my Godin thru the regular jack and wirelessly today.  Missed the 12 string acoustic tones but aaaaaahhh, FREEDOM !

Thanks again for your input.

TJ

Elantric

If you prefer strat - you might prefer the new Variax Standard with its thinner  / wider neck profile and MIM Strat 2.0625" spaced bridge

and hate the JTV-69 - which is barely  1 5/8" Width at the nut, yet rather  beefy .9" thick up around the 12th fret with a Vintage USA 2.21875" Wide spaced Bridge

http://pdf.toneshapers.com/ToneShapers-General-Callaham-Strat-Bridge-Spacing.pdf

I talk about my JTV-59 mods here -and drop fit Locking tuner source (Guitarfetish)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9291.0

talljoe

Thanks Elantric. You are THE MAN !

TJ

talljoe

One more question,....

does it come with Workbench or is that extra ?

TJ

Elantric

It's a moving target

In 2011 all Tyler Variax's shipped with the USB Box for Workbench editing

But today I believe that is sold separately 

I use my HD500X , which also powers the Variax using the VDI Ethercon cable

vtgearhead

Quote from: Elantric on June 16, 2016, 01:09:19 PM
and hate the JTV-69 - which is barely  1 5/8" Width at the nut, yet rather  beefy .9" thick up around the 12th fret with a Vintage USA 2.21875" Wide spaced Bridge

True, but the good news is that it's trivial to drop in a Mighty-Mite or Warmoth Strat neck as many of us have done.  Makes all the difference in the world.

Elantric

So add $200-300 to make JTV-69 play like a 2015 Variax Standard ;)

I'd go for a Warmoth Fat neck myself , to make it feel like a '52 Tele

But that "too wide for me" bridge string spacing on JTV-69 will take a lot of money to fix, really impacts my cross picking speed.

I grew up playing Gibsons so most Fenders give me problems

vtgearhead

I never really noticed the bridge width.  But then again, I have very large fingers!  The stock 69 neck is most definitely cruel and unusual punishment and I'm glad I made the switch.

germanicus

I have a JTV 59 and a 59p.

Love them both. Split equal time between both. Barely touch my other guitars.

I also own a Godin lgx-sa, which is a 'nicer' guitar but I rarely play it (probably will sell it) anymore.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4