GT-100 - Noob question #2 - Why doesn't patch select reload the patch?

Started by memorex, June 02, 2016, 06:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

memorex

It's probably a setting I haven't set up correctly, but here's the issue:

Let's say I'm on patch #1 in a bank. The default patch has all the effects turned off, that's my rhythm setting. Now, I turn on an OD with the ACCEL switch and activate the Wah for a solo. Now, the solo's over and I want to quickly get back to the rhythm setting. I would think that just stepping on switch #1 would reload the default patch, but it doesn't. It doesn't seem to do anything. What am I doing wrong?

memorex

So, I called Roland, and they explained to me that when the number switch function is set to OFF, the patch does not automatically reload when you step on the same number switch. That's somewhat counterintuitive, because every other modeler I've owned did exactly that. Their suggestion was to load the same patch into two adjacent slots, then mess with whatever you want on one of them, and change to the other patch when you want to go back to the basic patch. A workable, but lame solution in my opinion. If anyone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Mrchevy

Why not turn the OD and WAH on and off with the ACCEL/CTL pedal. Use it as a CTL pedal and simply set it up with the ASSIGNS(one assign for the OD and one for the WAH). That way the on/off is instant rather than the GT100 reloading the patch. I can't for the life of me understand why Roland didn't suggest this :o as that is what the ASSIGNS are for, not to mention much more efficient.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

memorex

The patch is too complicated to do that. The default is a clean rhythm tone with a touch of reverb. I disabled the phrase looper pedal so I could use it as another CTL pedal. That one does 4 things: it toggles the A/B channel select, it toggles the OD on/off, it raises and lowers the reverb level (higher for lead), and it raises and lowers the compression amount (higher for rhythm). The ACCEL pedal is used to turn the phaser on/off. The expression pedal switch is set up to do 2 things: it toggles the Rotary2 on/off and alternately toggles the delay off/on (they're not both on at the same time). The expression pedal is set up to raise/lower the delay level when it's on, or toggle the leslie speed when that's on.

So, when I want to get back to the basic rhythm setting quickly, it would be nice if stepping on the patch select button would reload the default patch, but it doesn't. I think Roland's suggestion may be the only way. What I'm considering, is setting up a second patch with slightly different effects, but the same basic sound, so I can quickly get back to the bare rhythm sound whenever I want, but not waste 2 patch slots to do 1 thing.

Mrchevy

Are you using all these, plus wanting to do what your first post described, all in the same song? If so I would suggest having 2 additional legs surgically attached and take tap dancing lessons  ;D. Or, I would set up 4 variations of this patch, and just switch back and forth thru the patches in that bank as suggested. It's not really counter intuitive, its just giving only what you need for each segment of the song, without bogging down the processing power of the patch itself. Alternatively, you could add additional pedals/exp pedals to the effects loop and have an assign toggle that in and out. Switching back and forth between patches is no different than switching back and forth between CTL settings other than using the extra patches but, you do have I believe over 200 user patches at your disposal. 50 banks w/4 patches each. Even if every song you do has the complexity of a NASA program algorithm, I cant imagine ever needing all 50 banks with 4 variations. 
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

FWIW - it is important to review the GT-100 Control settings that have choice options for "SYSTEM" or "PATCH" and "Assign Hold"  - each of these must be reviewed for your intended use