GK Kit and Boss GP 10 minimum install

Started by stublito, May 18, 2016, 03:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stublito

I have a Hohner Steinberger and want to get a Boss GP 10. It will be my airline carry on gig rig. Some questions (I am a tech so can deal with the wiring hacks):

As I plan to just call up patches on the GP 10 and play them (as opposed to blending/switching stuff in real time), do I really need the switches? I'll install the synth volume tho. I'm guessing all the switch values can be pre programmed in to the patch.

And a dumb question. With all the guitar models in the GP 10, why even bother with the guitar pickups? That of course requires an opinion of the GP 10 modelling, perhaps not a topic for this thread.

This started as a quest to replace my carbon fiber acoustic with the Roland sims. Can the modelling handle the standardized "Pinball Wizard" strumming test?

thanks in advance

Stublito

Elantric

stublito

Thanks. I just went ahead and bought the GP 10 with the GK3 and will try it out, if it meets my needs I'll start drilling holes in my guitar.

gumtown

Quote from: stublito on May 18, 2016, 07:54:03 PM
I'll start drilling holes in my guitar.
It is so painful to hear those words   :o
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stublito

Well I bench wired the GK kit and temp installed the hex pup with 2 sided tape.

I could not get the MIDI to track the bottom two strings. I know MIDI tracking is a b#tch, but even the tuner had problems. Also the detune patches warble like crazy.

I reversed the hex pup and changed that setting in the GP 10. The string gain controls show adequate signal even though the string spacing on the Hohner/Berger is narrow (10 mm). I did the scale and distance to bridge piece adjustments.

I also have a regular GK3, I put it on my 335, no problems.

Any thoughts? Perhaps the geometry/mass (it's very light) of the Hohner/Berger is just not suitable for this.

Comments?

Stublito

gumtown

Radius?
The GK-3 pickup has a tiny radius adjustment screw, to try and even the height from pickup to string.

Another issue can be string harmonics / crosstalk / body resonance, try some damping in different places, like past the nut or bridge ends.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

And dont mount the GK-3 PU too close the bridge saddles.

Be sure GK-3 PU mounted is at least 15mm away from bridge

read
Can GK-3 PU be too close to the bridge??
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13322.0

bea

Quote from: Elantric on June 15, 2016, 04:00:45 PM
And dont mount the GK-3 PU too close the bridge saddles.

Be sure GK-3 PU mounted is at least 15mm away from bridge

Mhmm, i should have seen this before i drilled the holes. The Roland instructions are misleading by stating "as close as possible but not more than 20 mm". So i did my best to mount the pickup as close as possible and ended with 8-10 mm dependent on string compensation.

Elantric

8-10 mm is not ideal and a bit "too close"

read
Can GK-3 PU be too close to the bridge??
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13322.0

Be sure you are measuring "GK PU Distance"  from Center of GK PU to the point where the string leaves the Bridge Saddle / or center of Kahler Roller.

For a GK-3 on a Guitar, I would be sure its at least 10mm away. 20mm is probably Optimal.

If the GK PU is set closer than 10mm - it will be sensing a smaller / shorter excursion of any vibrating string, with resulting drop in  the output level of the GK PU .

You can compensate by boosting the "GK Sensitivity" to a higher number - but this results in higher susceptibility to hiss and noise when using DSP COSM Guitar Modeling, with a likely requirement to enable the "COSM N.S. ( Noise Suppressor Gate) to tame the hiss  - but know there will be a resulting loss of picking dynamic range response.

If the GK PU is set too far away from the bridge saddle ( more than  30mm) - it will be sensing a higher / larger excursion of any vibrating string, with higher susceptibility of adjacent string cross-talk anytime you bend strings during Rock/Blues solos - and that creates poor tracking / ghost notes.

bea

Thanks. I read this, and that's why i wrote my posting.

Another possibility to partly compensate should be using thick strings, preferably flatwounds or halfrounds - larger saddle compensation and hence slighty larger distance of the saddle from the pickups, larger output and less sting noise. Or do i think wrong?

Elantric