To All members - about uploading pics in your posts.

Started by Elantric, March 30, 2016, 07:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

To All members
Uploading  large Photos in your post really impacts the bottom line and risks breaking the whole operation here.

If you notice  - we have zero pop up ads, and all forum operating costs come right out of my own pocket.  We do get occasional contributions  from members  time to time- (Much Appreciated!)

Click Here to Support VGuitarForums

but most years we break even with zero "profit"
We operate this forum out of passion for guitar exploration, thanks to volunteers on a shoestring

But when the web hosting company says we are too popular and using too much bandwidth and storage space on their server , the operation cost per month becomes far too expensive for my budget, we risk shutting the forum down

We want to reserve our web server bandwidth for sharing patches and a few reference docs - not all your photos at  2MB size each of your guitar.

Instead there's a better method to achieve that goal, with no impact on our web hosting costs.

For images in your posts, we really want all members to learn how to use the third party image server apps  - as explained in 1st post in this thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4823.msg32701#msg32701

After Photobucket.com started demanding an annual charge for image hosting 

I've been using and recommending the free

https://postimages.org/

Trevor

I'm for that, I'm in the dial-up stoneage and prefer text only sites.How about just stopping the ability to upload any pics unless they go through you or another mod, if you deem them "V" worthy post info, no sarcasm.

sixeight

A good way to find any pictures you have posted is to go to Profile -> Show posts -> Attachments:

Here you can find posts that have pictures attached and move them to Snapagogo.

We probably should do the same for mp3's
It looks like I have a lot of work to do... EDIT: Done: all my pics are on Snapagogo...

Vade

@" A good way to find any pictures you have posted is to go to Profile -> Show posts -> Attachments:"

Thanks for the info sixeight. I've opened a Snapagogo account and I'm in the process of eliminating or replacing my pics. I'll look into replacing my mp3's and other attachments also.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Elantric

be sure we still have access to the valuable info in your pics.

If you arent making a new snapagogo account = I much prefer leaving your pics as they are as attachments instead of deleting them forever.

Future members in 2026 say "thank you"

whippinpost91850

I agree . Don't want to take a chance on losing anything

Vade

I'm just starting the process and my thinking is that I may "repackage" some of the items for greater clarity. The only things I would eliminate would be redundant or low value pics. I'd edit my post so that the content still makes sense and without disrupting the continuity of the thread. I also have started a VGuitar Pics folder I'll save locally and if Snapagogo goes offline I'll have the original pics to repost using another host service. It's always kind of sad when I hit a thread with lots of missing pictures and that's why I was posting them to the site itself without realizing the costs it placed on you. I want to protect the content of the site but I also want to reduce the burdens placed on you. It's the least I can do in the face of your many kindnesses to all of us who love it here.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

CodeSmart

Actually I never figured out how to post a picture
here so I always have put the file on my website and
just linked to it with my posts.
Stupidity seem to be great sometimes.  8)
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Vade

So Snapagogo has been down for a few days now and it's looking like they're struggling since this isn't the first time it's gone missing recently. I've got all the pics I posted backed up on a hard drive and I can probably rebuild my blog page but I've no record of where the rest of the pics belong short of going through my posts and trying to figure out which pic goes where. I'll give Snapagogo a few more days and hope it resurfaces but this kind of stuff does present an issue for the integrity of the forum as a repository for info.

Elantric

Agreed

In moving to google photos , but will take time to rebuild the missing pic links vacated by Snapagogo.

Hopefully Snapagogo returns 

Autana

Quote from: Vade on June 14, 2016, 06:31:05 PM
I'll give Snapagogo a few more days and hope it resurfaces but this kind of stuff does present an issue for the integrity of the forum as a repository for info.

I agree.  I'll wait a couple of days snapagogo return as I like it, if back IMO they need at least issue a justification on their home page to regain users trust. Anyway I'll try other, perhaps Google photos, I read good things, although I have not delved into its characteristics. Fortunately I think have at least 95% of my images in local backup, and broken links have names. Piece of cake, but there is a time spent.
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Autana

Snapago and go and go and gooooo...is back  ;D

Snapagogo.com site is back and apparently all is fine, but no explanation or clarification on the home page. I like site, but best I continue to a plan B, just in case. Suggestions welcomed.
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

admin