Help -How to leave out GK Volume, S1/S2 and the Select switch

Started by Larsfrederiksberg, March 27, 2016, 03:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larsfrederiksberg

I am planing to install a GK-Kit-BG3 in my 6-string bass.

My idea is to omit the GK Volume, Down/S1 Switch, Up/S2 switch and the Select switch (I want it to be set to "Mix"), so the only thing that is mounted on the front of the bass is the Divided pickup + the normal pickups and preamp

I have read many of the threads written in "GK-13 Luthier/DIY Info" to find some help and they have been real helpful. This is want I have found so far.

No GK volume – (it should be on at all time):
I read Elantric posts in the thread (GK-3 minimal installation) "If you are using a Roland GK-KIT-GT3 Internal kit - Locate white 3 pin connector CN7, and solder a wire between Pin #1 and Pin #2 - where  the VR1 50K Linear Pot (GK-VOL) typically connects. This is equivalent to having the GK-VOL pot on "10" (Max Volume)".

So this should solve my problem ☺

No Down/S1 Switch, Up/S2 switch:
I read Headless 68 posts in the thread (GK-3 minimal installation) "assuming you are controlling everything away from the guitar, the only things you need for minimal install is the pickup, the circuit board and the 13 pin socket
power comes from the device you are connecting to.

point to note - if you are not using the mix switch to link to normal guitar pickups the GK3 will hum as it gets ground from the normal guitar circuit so factor into the build getting a ground (from the bridge) to the circuit"

Have I understood this correctly that you don't have to do anything if you don't want the down/up switchs?

No Select switch – (it should be set to "Mix"):
I was't able to find an answer on have to do this. So my quiestion is - How do you leave out the Select switch and set it to "Mix" without getting any hum?

Hope you can help me.

Yours sincerely
Lars (Denmark)

Elantric

To the internal kit PCB

Connect the GK PU
Connect the GK Output Jack two ribbon cables

Jump across the CN7 GK VOL connector as explained above
"If you are using a Roland GK-KIT-GT3 Internal kit - Locate white 3 pin connector CN7, and solder a wire between Pin #1 and Pin #2 - where  the VR1 50K Linear Pot (GK-VOL) typically connects. This is equivalent to having the GK-VOL pot on "10" (Max Volume)".

Done.

read more details here

Internal GK-KIT-GT3 Installation questions
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133.0

Larsfrederiksberg

Thanks Elantric for the quick reply.

Just to be sure. I do not need to do anything to ensure that "Select switch" is permanently set to "Mix"?

Elantric

Correct.

But to Insure there are no surprises, prior to install , connect all the proposed new GK-KIT-GT3 wiring on a work bench and  tap the GK PU with a metal screwdriver to test the signals to verify it all works with your target GK 13 pin Processor.
Before you cut holes and install it in your guitar, only to discover things aren't working how you prefer.

Larsfrederiksberg

Just connected it and it is working like it should.

Thanks Elantric for quick response

JiveTurkey

Marked for later reference. I am wanting to do this exact thing in a custom build. I never (at least in a live setting) use S1 or S2 and synth volume is always at 10 with selector set to mix. All my control is done at the foot level. Thanks for this!