GP-10 Chimey Rick 12 String

Started by jwhitcomb3, March 04, 2016, 06:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhitcomb3

I've enjoyed playing with the GP-10 (and GR-55) 12 string models, but something was missing: the delay between the octave and unison strings. In particular, the way a Rick 12ver is strung, a pick downstroke strikes the higher pitched string first. This patch mixes the normal pickup and COSM to simulate this, so be sure to set your guitar to enable both pickups.

The COSM modeled Rick is tuned to Nashville, to provide the octave E A D G and unison B E strings. The normal pickup is delayed a tiny bit (with the FX block), to give the high strings a head start. There is a tiny amount of chorus on the normal pickup to give it a bit more chime, but feel free to ditch that if you like.

One of the cool things here is you can mix and match the pickups for the normal and COSM Rick. S1/S2 increment/decrement the COSM pickup selector, and of course, you can use your guitars controls to set your normal pickup however you'd like. The classic Byrdsy sound has both using the bridge pickup.

I have all this running through the COSM Clean Twin to give it a clean sound with a touch of grit. Lots of mapping here:

CTL 1: tap tempo
CTL 2: toggles alt tune. If you want to go straight Rick, toggle this and roll down the Normal volume control on your guitar.
CTL 3: Amp solo
CTL 4: Toggles the delay block from mono to reverse (sounds best with a longer delay).
EXPSW: Toggles wah and delay
EXP off: Delay Level (for the dedicated delay block)
EXP on: Wah
GKVol: Modeling (Rick) volume. Great for setting the relative levels of the Rick and Normal pickups. This also crossfades the FX block (10 ms delay) direct and effect levels, so if you roll off the Rick, the normal pickup is no longer delayed. (You could instead use the GRVol to roll back the delay time.)

The file has two patches: the AFE 12 StrRk is set up to play the GP-10 into a real amp, so the speaker simulator is off and the output level is much lower (AFE = "amp front end").

If you prefer a traditional 12 string orientations (downstroke hits the bass string first), drag the FX block into the modeled guitar portion of the chain.

Thanks for checking this out. As usual, please let me know what you think, and post your tweaks and improvements!

Edited to add a demo and replace the original file with a minor tweak.

jwhitcomb3

Here's a variation, using the Deluxe Crunch amp model instead of the twin, and changing the controller assignments.

Ctl1 compressor
Ctl2 Amp Solo
Ctl3 Toggle 6/12 string (really toggles the modeling guitar and delay)
Ctl4 Toggle Reverb
ExpOff crossfades amp gain/volume
ExpOn Wah
ExpSw toggle wah
S1/S2 Modeling pickup increment/decrement
GKVol patch volume

Nyama74

Sounds great! I'll definitely use this patch.

roachone

Sounds really good! Great patch...

mondopp2u

strayhorse45

Majiken

Ooh, that sounds gooooood, I need to download- thanks much!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks