Roland SonicCell - How to install SonicCell drivers on Windows 10

Started by pedwards2932, February 23, 2016, 07:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedwards2932

Just need to vent.....it irritates me to no end to spend the kind of money I do on Roland products only to find they decide not to support something.  I bought a Sonic Cell couple years back and never really got to use it much and now I want to try to use it with  BIAB only to find that they don't have Windows 10 drivers for it......this thing cost almost $1000 when I bought it.  I go on Roland Clan and someone has found a way to fool Windows 10 into accepting the Windows 8 driver which I am thankful for, but really how long would it take a Roland tech to just write a driver that would work?  It took the guy a couple of hours to make a work around so I am guessing it wouldn't take very long to rewrite the Windows 8 driver so Windows 10 would accept it as it is obvious the Windows 8 driver works just can't easily get Windows 10 to accept it........sheeeeesh!  Okay I feel better now.  >:(

Elantric

[Tutorial] How to install SonicCell drivers on Windows 10
http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=50565

Postby RRAW » 12:42, 9 August 2015

Hi, yesterday I accidentally installed Windows 10 on my pc. (somehow I managed to press 'install now or something while I wasn't looking.) After the installation, everything worked except for the SonicCell. I tried to install the drivers but it didn't work so after hours of googling and trying things out, I got it to work. I wrote this tutorial to help all of you out who want Windows 10 and the SonicCell to work together.

What are we going to do?
- Delete old SonicCell drivers (if you didn't do that yet)
- Disable driver installation signature checks (to install modified drivers)
- Download the official windows 8.1 x64 SonicCell driver
- Download the modified (.inf) driver of the SonicCell made by me
- Install stuff

*note that this tutorial is made specifically for x64 users, as I do not have enough time to modify the driver for x86 to work, install x86 windows, test it, blabla. If you really want it to work on x86 windows, send me a PM and I will tell you how I modified the drive so that you can make your own one to work with x86.

1) Delete old SonicCell drivers under windows if you still have it installed because of the upgrade.

2) Open command prompt as administrator
3) bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
4) Reboot

5) Download the official SonicCell driver for windows 8.1 x64 here
https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/soniccell/updates_drivers/83968ce6-4b8f-42c9-95b3-f5d4654f346c/
OR
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=17422.0;attach=18672

6) Download my modified driver that works on windows 10 here and extract it on your desktop.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=17422.0;attach=14031
7) Install the official SonicCell drivers
When the installation starts asking you to plug in your SonicCell and turn it on, just do as it says and wait for a minute. Nothing will happen, or it will start to install the driver but it won't work.
8 ) Close the installation (it will say that the SonicCell won't work blabla, but just close the installation. Then it will ask you to remove the drivers. DO NOT REMOVE THE DRIVERS. Just close the installation.

9) Install modified driver made by me (.inf) file only.
Go to start, search for 'device manager' and open 'device manager'.
You will find the SonicCell there, but there is an '!' in the icon.
Double click on the icon and go the the tab 'driver'.
Click on 'update driver'.
Choose option 2 (Browse my computer for driver software
Set the path to the folder where you extracted the driver (.inf) file. Just to be safe, you can check 'include subfolders'.

10) Press next
11) Windows security will say: 'Windows can't verifiy the publisher of this driver software'.
That's true lol, because I edited the driver so it can't be verified anymore.
Just choose the second option 'Install this driver software anyway

12) Now, your driver should install. It might take a while but don't click it away.
If the soniccell icon is still not present under 'playback devices', then plug the usb in another port so it will get recognized. again.

13) Enable driver installation signature checks (gets rid of the stupid test watermark)
Open command promt as administrator
bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

14) Reboot

15) Congrats, it should work now!
RRAW

pedwards2932

Yeah that is the workaround, guess I should have posted a link......just still makes me angry that Roland wouldn't go ahead and get the driver set up to work with Windows 10 without having to do all these workarounds.

Elantric

Quote from: pedwards2932 on April 05, 2016, 03:46:45 AM
Yeah that is the workaround, guess I should have posted a link......just still makes me angry that Roland wouldn't go ahead and get the driver set up to work with Windows 10 without having to do all these workarounds.

Its all about compliance with the MS Windows 10 DDI Driver rules

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/what-s-new-in-driver-development

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/overview-of-device-and-driver-installation

bigpeekay

Hi folks,

I was completely pissed off with Roland when I updated to Windows 10 and finding my Sonic Cell was useless.
Then, I found this thread of posts and hoped I could fixed it.
After experiencing all of the frustrating bugs I finally got it to work so simply.

1. Ensure you downloaded the 64 bit driver stuff alluded to in the original workaround - sonic_w81d_v101 I think it was called - and unzip it.
2. In the unzipped folder structure you will see a 32 bit file folder and a 64 bit file folder.
3. I basically went into the 64 bit folder, then into the files folder, then renamed the RDIF1070.INF file to RDIF1070old.INF.
4. I then copied the modified driver into this folder
5. Then I went back up one level to the 64 bit folder and ran the set up in this folder.

Hey bloody presto I have a working Sonic Cell.

I am running a Sony Vaio with Windows 10 64 bit after the Fall Creators update.

Finally I really hope this helps anyone who is still having issues as I think the Sonic Cell is a fantastic machine for giggins with and it would be a crying shame for it to die out like this.

PS anyone got an SRX03 expansion card they dont want lol?

bigpeekay

should have said a huge thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread - especially elantric!

Elantric

Thanks for sharing real world install strategy and instructions to help others

Same technique works with other "obsolete - no Windows 10 USB driver" Roland/Boss gear too.

Elantric

Check here for troubleshooting SonicCell with Windows 10

http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=50565&sid=b380703f2b63b0476924ad8a1218050e

---
timclement wrote >

The error messages reported in this thread could be due to Secure Boot enabled in your BIOS.

It is possible to disable Secure Boot in your BIOS and re-run the "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF" that was failing. If the command completes successfully continue with the instructions as documented.

Here is some more info about disabling secure boot. There are some screenshots for HP, ASRock , AUSUS and Acer bios versions.
http://www.windowspasswordsrecovery.com ... 8-1-8.html

Here is a how-to doc for disabling secure boot on a surface. It is approx the same procedure as disabling on other laptops (enter bios, disable secure boot, save settings , exit bios)
http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-to-disa ... ro-devices

I tested the documented procedure (in this thread) for installing on my Surface Pro with Windows 10. The procedure works a written, with the exception that Secure Boot has to be disabled prior to step 10.

I further tested re-enabling Secure Boot after the Sonic Cell drivers are installed. The Sonic Cell driver continues to work.

Here are the complete steps that I have performed on both a Microsoft Surface Pro and a Dell Latitude laptop running 64 bit version of Windows 10. I just added pre/post actions rather than re-numbering the procedure.

Pre Install Action Required – Verify Secure Boot is disabled in your computer BIOS – The procedure varies depending upon your computer manufacturer. It is easy to find how-to documents on the internet.

1) Delete old SonicCell drivers under windows if you still have it installed because of the upgrade.
2) Open command prompt as administrator (use the search/Cotana box in the lower left of Windows 10 task bar, type in "cmd.exe" and when it highlights, press <CTRL>-<SHIFT>-<ENTER>
3) copy and paste the following two commands in order, one at a time:
bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
4) Reboot
5) Download the official SonicCell driver for windows 8.1 x64 here http://roland.com/support/article/?q=do ... d=62483069
6) Download the RRAW modified driver file that works on Windows 10 here and extract it on your desktop. https://www.dropbox.com/s/eb735kg5ib5te ... 0.INF?dl=0
7) Install the official SonicCell drivers. When the installation starts asking you to plug in your SonicCell and turn it on, just do as it says and wait for a minute. Nothing will happen, or it will start to install the driver but it won't work.
8 ) Close the installation (it will say that the SonicCell won't work blah blah, but just close the installation. Then it will ask you to remove the drivers. DO NOT REMOVE THE DRIVERS. Just close the installation.
9) You now need to navigate to the subfolder in the official Roland Driver folder containing the file "RDIF1070.INF" and replace it with the RRAW modified version (if you extracted it to your desktop and your user name is [YOURNAME], it will likely be in the location C:\Users\[YOURNAME]\Desktop\sonic_w81d_v101\sonic_w81d_v101\Files\64bit\Files):
a) open the extracted folder with the official Roland 8.1 driver (if you extracted it to your desktop, double click on the folder named "sonic_w81d_v101").
b) open (double click) the subfolder also named "sonic_w81d_v101"
c) open (double click) the subfolder named "Files"
d) open (double click) the subfolder named "64bit"
e) open (double click) the subfolder named "Files"
f) rename RDIF1070.INF to RDIF1070.INF.old (if you ever need to repeat the process, this old file can be renamed back)
g) copy the modified RRAW version of RDIF1070.INF into the ...\64bit\Files subfolder.
10) Install the now modified official Roland driver:
a) use the search/Cortana box in the task bar to find "device manager" and open it (hit enter when it highlights).
b) You will find the SonicCell device listed there, but there is an '!' in the icon.
c) Double click on the icon and go to the tab 'driver'.
d) Click on 'update driver'.
e) Choose option 2 (Browse my computer for driver software
f) Set the path to the folder with the modified Roland driver (likely C:\Users\[YOURNAME]\Desktop\sonic_w81d_v101). Check 'include subfolders'.
g) Press next.
h) Windows security will say: 'Windows can't verifiy the publisher of this driver software'.
That's true lol, because you've added the RRAW edited file so it can't be verified anymore. Just choose the second option 'Install this driver software anyway
11) Now, your driver should install. It might take a while but don't click it away. If the soniccell icon is still not present under 'playback devices', then plug the usb in another port so it will get recognized. again.
12) Re-enable driver installation signature checks (gets rid of the stupid test watermark): Open command promt as administrator as in step 2 above and run the two commands in sequence:
bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF
14) Reboot
Post Install (optional) - Test Sonic Cell is working and Re–enable Secure Boot

admin

Trivia - this "How to install SonicCell drivers on Windows 10" is among the most popular threads we host here  -each week we gain new members simply for this specific task   - its more popular as a reason to join than the SY-300

Wipwop

Yes!! Finally!!

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=55497

This is the answer for Windows 10
  Note...follow exactly as it says but for a Sonic Cell it is NOT called a .inf file that you need to change the text in. It's the
RDIF1070 Setup Information file.
  Open it and scroll down to the text you need to change.
Bar that everything else is the same as written.
  My Sonic Cell lives on.

mirko