GP10 with EHX 8 step - anyone using this combo?

Started by mchad, January 17, 2016, 01:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchad

I can set up the EHX 8 step into my Boss PS3 exp in and it works.

I can set up an EV5 into the GP10's Exp2 input and it works.

Cannot seem to get the EHX to trigger the GP10 when plugged into its Exp2 input?

Jim Williams

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

BBach

If you are controlling frequency, and your patch does not let through much low end, you might not hear the changes. My experience with the 8 step is that it is heavily biased towards the high end of the spectrum.

mchad

Thanks guys.

I chose one of the dedicated guitar specific patches (Drive 2 I think) where wah is the Exp2 default effect. EV5 could sweep the range but not the 8 step.

Elantric

AFAIK - On the Boss GP-10, you must map your own Assignment for EXP2  - there are zero default assignments  for EXP2 on the factory presets

mchad

Thanks Elantric. I mistakenly said default effect on Exp2. I actually selected it in the Boss editor. Nonetheless the EV5 worked but not the 8 step.

Elantric

Sorry I have No experience here with EHX 8 step 

Are you using a TRS cable?

RTM?
http://www.ehx.com/assets/instructions/8-step-program.pdf
EXP/CV OUT Jack
The 8-STEP's sequence is output through this jack. When connecting to the Expression
input on an external pedal or other device, normally you will want to connect the TRS cable
that came supplied with the 8-STEP to the 8-STEP's EXP/CV jack. If you are connecting the
8-STEP to a CV input, use a standard ¼" mono/TS instrument cable instead, the same type
of cable you would plug into a guitar.
When a TRS cable is plugged into the EXP/CV OUT
jack, the 8-STEP works as a replacement for a typical expression pedal with the following
connections: TIP = potentiometer wiper or output signal, RING = Toe position and
SLEEVE = Heel position. This is the standard polarity for the TRS plug of an expression
pedal that many in the industry follow including all EHX products as well as Boss®
/Roland®

Moog®
, Nord®
etc. T

mchad

Yes.

I'll hit up EHX support with a question.

Thanks

Bill Ruppert

OK it works!
The Boss jack is weird. You have to have the plug only 1/2 way in. Or the first click in.
How weird is that!

mchad

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on January 19, 2016, 12:34:31 PM
OK it works!
The Boss jack is weird. You have to have the plug only 1/2 way in. Or the first click in.
How weird is that!

Bill! You champion. Thanks. I'll try it.

And thank-you for your gear demos!

mchad

Some follow up.

I hooked up the 8 step to the GP10 with the cable only partially in. It worked but the 8 step generated a trem effect whereas an EV5 creates a wah effect. Very weird.

Same patch. Patch 88. Set for wah on Exp2 input.

gumtown

The EXP2 input will require a 3 wire input to work correctly, so you are possibly not getting the full range.
Have you tried making a custom TRS cable with the ring and tip swapped on one end? just in case it is a polarity issue.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mchad

Quote from: gumtown on January 24, 2016, 12:25:41 AM
The EXP2 input will require a 3 wire input to work correctly, so you are possibly not getting the full range.
Have you tried making a custom TRS cable with the ring and tip swapped on one end? just in case it is a polarity issue.

Thanks. I'll try some different TRS cables.