Variax jtv69 with a regular replacement neck

Started by Howcome, December 07, 2015, 10:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howcome

I did it!
I replaced the neck of my jtv69 variax (what an awsome guitar!!) with a 'regular' fender replacement neck. I used Tru Oil (birchwood casey) to finish this all-maple neck. Fitted with Gotoh Kluson HAP tuners. Of course, I finished it off with a custom decal.

vtgearhead

Welcome to the club!  Many JTV-69 owners eventually come to the realization that the OEM neck is designed as cruel and unusual punishment.

mbenigni

Awesome!  The cavity and bolt pattern are all standard, or did you have to drill?

Now if only there were a replacement pickguard that accommodated the Variax controls, but otherwise looked like a regular strat pickguard, the JTV69 would be perfect.

(I've been playing my Variax 500 transplant a lot lately, and I'm beginning to have JTV interest/ envy.  :) )

Howcome

The neck was brand new so it did not have any screwholes yet. I had to drill those, but apart from that it went in very smootly. The cavity was perfect size.
Because the trussrod adjustment in this neck is at the bottom, i had to cut away just a tiny piece of wood of the body (covered by the scratch plate) to reach it.
I have build a variax transplant strat in my younger days, and ordered a special scratchplate without the potmeter holes. Every other hole was there, so mybe you can use that.

shawn

I just replaced the stock neck on my JTV69 with a Fender licensed neck from Wamoth. Much happier now with that guitar. Considering getting a decal for the headstock. How'd you make yours?

Howcome

For the decal I used a sheet of waterslide decal paper.. Just print the decal, soak the paper in water and slide the plastic top off onto the wood. After that, one or two layers of tru oil to seal it.