iPad audio interface for use as live pedalboard?

Started by Tremelune, November 15, 2015, 09:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tremelune

I want a very portable setup. I'd like a zillion sound possibilities. I'd like a simple user interface for live performances. Plug guitar into lunchbox, plug lunchbox into PA. Done.

The Kemper and Axe FX come close, with some caveats:

1) The user interface is crappy.
2) Can't be used for anything else in the future.
3) Over $2,000.

I'm trying to figure out if I can build something that will get me 80% of the way there for a lot less money. My theoretical ideal:

Guitar --(1/4" TS)--> DAC --(Lightning)--> iPad --(Lightning)--> DAC --(1/4" TS)--> PA

I would just build a custom little lunchbox to hold the components and control the iPad with a Bluetooth pedalboard, but I guess wired would be fine. It would be nice to have an expression pedal, mostly for volume.

I'm hoping some folks that have more experience with this might be able to help me out (or help me realize what's possible). So far, it looks like my sonic goals can be obtained with an iPad, Bias FX, and some kind of audio interface. These two seem to be favorites:

Roland Duo Capture EX

FocusRite Scarlett 2i4

Line6 Sonic Port VX

Can I expect that, with these suckers plugged into an iPad, I can get reliable, high-quality, super-low-latency guitar rig? What is usually the latency bottleneck, anyway? I plan to purchase an iPad to dedicate to this task. The smaller the better for me, but if processing power is a concern, I would have no problem picking up something faster than a Mini.

Pretty much all I know on the subject can be found in this thread:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10323.0

Elantric

Ive tried them all - I still view the iPad Amp Sims as handy mobile practice solutions - but not a suitable replacement for a high quality DSP amp modeler

This is due to the impact of IOS version on the latency during real time audio operations, which  is getting worse on recent releases of IOS 9, as Apple no longer places real time audio / music creation tasks with same importance as delivering advertising and social networking to the IOS user

When I try my best IOS system (BIAS FX +BIAS AMP, iPad Air, IOS 8.4.1, Focusrite i-Track Dock, running on battery power - Its adequate, but then A/B with my Kemper or Axe-FX reveals the iPad Amp systems suffer higher latency, more noise, less dynamic range 

whippinpost91850

Have to concur with Elantric as well. I've been trying to have an iPad set up for live for a couple of years, but to no avail. I wanted a backup for my Kemper, but the latency and processing control just doesn't quite work yet

Tremelune

After finding out the Roland wouldn't charge an iPad, I went with the Line 6. It seems to have a bit more noise than using the Sonuus and the iPad headphone jack, which is a bit of a bummer.

Now I need to find a simple foot-operated switchboard and an expression pedal...Right now I have a little bluetooth button for controlling the output volume of the iPad. It works, but it's a bit janky.

vanceg

I'm using the Softstep as my floor controller for my ipad rig.  Works really well.  I use a Line 6 interface but plug the Line6 and the Softstep into a powered USB hub and then plug the hub into the ipad.  I can't charge the ipad while I do this...which is a shame...but other than that the rig works well. 

I really WANT to accept the ipad as my main guitar processor...but right now I have to agree with Elantric: It's nice, but not anywhere close to a Kemper or AxeFX....