Custom GK13 to Antares ATG box

Started by Elantric, September 11, 2015, 12:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteAlso, need to figure out how to use Guitar w/ internal Gr pickup, with my GR55 as well

i'm working on a small floor box with GK 13 pin input to feed:

* ATG DSP Board

* Tripleplay Controller Board 

* iConnectMIDI board for USB and MIDI I/O

* GK 13pin OUT "Pass thru"

Goal is all my 13 pin guitars can have access to Guitar to MIDI and Guitar PU Modeling and Autotune.

Frankly all above can easily fit inside a modified GT-100

Back in 1999 - 2000, I co-developed the RackVax and i might explore using its custom GK Vol, S1 & S2 switch to MIDI CC# conversion PCB board features for controlling Antares ATG DSP board. 

I own too many good guitars, its easier to install a GK-3 or GK internal Kit, and then drive the latest flavor "Guitar modeling DSP dujour"   

Just need something smaller than ATG-1 and controllable by iPad.
But THIS JOB will take longer than one weekend!
stay tuned

mbenigni

Quote from:  Elantric on September 11, 2015, 12:32:27 PM
* ATG DSP Board

This sounds amazing!  Can't wait to read about your progress.

Quote from:  Elantric on September 11, 2015, 12:32:27 PMFrankly all above can easily fit inside a modified GT-100

Do you mean a gutted GT-100 chassis, or do you think you can actually wedge all of that into a GT-100 and maintain the GT-100's effects/ amp modeling?  It would be really amazing to have all of the above in one floorboard unit.

Elantric

Quotedo you think you can actually wedge all of that into a GT-100 and maintain the GT-100's effects/ amp modeling? 

YES - keep 100% full GT-100 operation too.

lots of room inside

GuitarBuilder

Quote from:  Elantric on September 11, 2015, 12:32:27 PM

* ATG DSP Board

Goal is all my 13 pin guitars can have access to Guitar to MIDI and Guitar PU Modeling and Autotune.

Frankly all above can easily fit inside a modified GT-100

Back in 1999 - 2000, I co-developed the RackVax and i might explore using its custom GK Vol, S1 & S2 switch to MIDI CC# conversion PCB board features for controlling Antares ATG DSP board. 

I own too many good guitars, its easier to install a GK-3 or GK internal Kit, and then drive the latest flavor "Guitar modeling DSP dujour"   

Just need something smaller than ATG-1 and controllable by iPad.
But THIS JOB will take longer than one weekend!
stay tuned

Excellent idea!  So would you use the luthier kit to provide the ATG DSP board?
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

mbenigni

Quote from:  Elantric on September 11, 2015, 01:51:53 PM
YES - keep 100% full GT-100 operation too.

Holy s*** - that will be a killer rig if you get it worked out!

whippinpost91850

Are you gonna use your second Kit as a normal install

whippinpost91850

This would probably get me to finally get a Triple Play

Elantric

Doing the math it ends up with a suitable feature set.

$299 Antares DSP kit
$225 FTP (amazon sale)   
GT-100 ( $350 used)

When it comes together I'll post more info 

But there are several other projects i'm involved in that have shorter deadlines - but this one makes sense on many levels

In other news, I just got a used Peavey AT-200 I'm playing with  - not much to enjoy yet due to their target customer being a young kid - the AT-200 suffers same symptom as 90% of all new guitars I play  - the Neck Profile at 0.6" inch thick (back of neck to top of fretboard at 5th fret )  is just too damn thin and gives me shooting spasms in my forearm. My dream guitar neck profile is a Danny Gatton '52 Tele, or a '57 LP  = with a 1" thick Neck Profile  from Nut to 16th fret 

Like bottom pic here

Thicker neck = better tone, better sustain, and easier left hand vibrato for blues

whippinpost91850

Steve, I just don't see where you get the time to do all you do. Do you ever sleep ???

Elantric

I do occasionally sleep

(break  . . . )

- there,  I just caught 90 seconds of shut-eye ;)

BTW - I'll be performing live with Kristen Black Band tonight  on a free live Internet AV stream around 8:00pm PST tonight here:

http://centralcoastlive.com/watch-our-live-streams-concerts-here/

whippinpost91850

Yeah! I saw that when you posted that the other day. And plan on watching

whippinpost91850

You girlfriend must like seeing you minimally ;D

whippinpost91850

I'll enjoy seeing you play and the Cute Girl offsets all the hairy legged guys

simon t

Quote from:  Elantric on September 11, 2015, 02:29:55 PM
Doing the math it ends up with a suitable feature set.

$299 Antares DSP kit
$225 FTP (amazon sale)   
GT-100 ( $350 used)

Would you have a link for that FTP price?

Elantric

Would you have a link for that FTP price?

That was a special  weekend sale at Amazon back in 2014

Follow our Deal Alert thread here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3207.0

$295 seems the lowest current price for new FTP here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FISHMAN-TRIPLEPLAY-WIRELESS-GUITAR-CONTROLLER-OPEN-BOX-PRO-TRP-301-/121750913510?hash=item1c58eb81e6

simon t

Thanks, that's still pretty good.
They are $490 ish over here.

whippinpost91850

I can't decide on 1or 2 luthiers kits or 1 and an ATG-1,  ???, And I'm running out of time for the deal

Elantric

The good new is the ATG Internal Kit has Stereo outputs - same as the ATG-1

Inside the ATG-1 Floorpedal is is essentially  a 13pin Input feeding 6 channels of Audio (one per string) to the ATG  DSP board ( similar features as the luthier kit

with an internal  MIDI controller board that reads the status of the ATG-1 footswitches and Expression pedal and sends MIDI messages to the ATG  DSP board -

Both have stereo audio outputs

I can "nag" about a few issues with the ATG-1 Floor pedal

* Currently there is no Output path for the Mag PU signal output on GK13 pin #7

* There is no "bypass" switch - ATG-1 Floorpedal processes only the hex PU signals

Compare to the ATG Internal kit - you can install a Bypass switch on on a push/pull pot

You are exposed to a deeper level of setup controls that only Luthiers have access too  -like Mag hex PU distance from bridge setting ( not featured in the ATG-1 footpedal)     

Its best to watch this video for the ATG-1

All the ATG controls are also available using the Ipad with MIDi Designer 

whippinpost91850

It seems like it would be cool to be able to change models and tunings via MIDI , but I'm not sure that is even neccessary. But I admit I have become kind of accustomed to having everything pretty automated. I'll watch the ATG-1 video in the morning and hopefully that will shed some light.

Elantric

Compare ATG-1 demo to the ATG Internal demo here:

The Dual Encoders work well on a LP type guitar
==
Note the Youtube video is incorrectly titled AT200 Demo, but this is a Demo of the Antares ATG Internal kit in a an Epi Les Paul -

MIDI Designer Pro for iPad controls LP  Guitar with Auto-Tune by Antares. Demo performed by the skilled Robin Macomber.

This is a private demo performed at NAMM, 2013 and filmed by me, Dan Rosenstark. I am the author of MIDI Designer.

MIDI Designer: Designer your perfect MIDI controller for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

http://MIDIdesigner.com

whippinpost91850

Thanks , but appears to be a problem with Youtube link

Elantric

whippinpost91850

Just watched the ATG-1 and the install kit video. I think you maybe right that a small footprint box, maybe a better way to go. That way you would only have to have a single cable running from the guitar instead of 2 ( for Autotune and 13 pin functions) .. I just ordered a couple of the install kits...Here we go  ;D

Elantric

We can do it!

The minor hurdle will be verifying we do not overload the Antares ATG hex PU inputs

this task will be very similar to

Utensil's FTP Remote 6 channel attenuator board described here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11397.msg82936#msg82936
FTP - DIY adapter to use GK 13 Pin Guitars with Tripleplay

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8413.0
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8413.msg78842#msg78842

But we will feed the ATG DSP board instead of FTP DSP board

But I will be exploring the option to run both ATG + FTP in parallel - fed from a common GK-13 pin input  - so any Gk13 pin guitar can drive both  ATG DSP and FTP DSP's.

whippinpost91850

This will be exciting.. 8) I just ordered an install kit and trying to decide if I should order a second.. ???