FTP - Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat - install an internal GK Kit

Started by hired gun, August 24, 2015, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Eventually when i mod my Fishman Tripleplay Strat- one of the first things I want to do is change the bridge to more of a "CooderCaster" style

i found this handy block to fill the Strat Body's Tremolo routes - to glue it in and have a basis to install a Bigsby type tremolo and T.O.M Bridge

https://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=148

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Elantric on August 02, 2016, 08:44:43 AM
Eventually when i mod my Fishman Tripleplay Strat- one of the first things I want to do is change the bridge to more of a "CooderCaster" style

i found this handy block to fill the Strat Body's Tremolo routes - to glue it in and have a basis to install a Bigsby type tremolo and T.O.M Bridge

https://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=148

Interesting idea, Elantric!  Might I suggest another route: rather than modifying your TP Strat body, you could order another body from Warmoth that is custom routed for the TOM bridge and tremolo, different pickups if you'd like, as well as relocating the controls and jack plate for better ergonomics.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Vade

As regards this thread, there are many pictures and it's a record of a work in progress; that can make it seem more complicated than it is. The bottom line is that when using a Fender FTP Stratocaster as a guitar to mod you can run a simple 8 wire jumper from the built in FTP to a Roland GK3 internal kit you buy and install. Fender's built in hex pick-up will feed both the FTP and the GK3. That's the essence of the mod and that's pretty simple. Everything else is about how you want to place the GK3 and set up the controls for the GK3; you'd have to figure that out for any guitar where you wanted to install an internal GK3. If you do decide to go this route I'd highly recommend Gumbo as a source for the 8 wire jumper and his Synth-Linx 13 pin connectors. He knows his stuff and he's a whole lot of fun to work with. (Think Mad Max Kangaroo toting a guitar) Best of luck and have fun if you decide to go this route.

This is what it sounds like live...

https://soundcloud.com/vadie/ambient-steel
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Vade

On modding a Fishman Triple Play (FTP) Stratocaster to feed a Roland GK3

People are reporting that they find this thread confusing and it's even worse since Snapagogo broke all the links to the pics I posted. Instead of trying to replace all the broken links I'm just going to try to create a simple guide for anyone wishing to do this mod. Feel free to ask if anything remains unclear.

The FTP Stratocaster has an FTP hex pickup next to the bridge. The hex pickup cable is routed through the guitar to the FTP PCB board and is soldered directly to the board. There is an associated connector. If you plug in an eight wire jumper to the FTP boards associated connector then the other end of the jumper can be inserted into the GK3 board where the Roland hex pickup cable is normally inserted. Thus the FTP pickup feeds the FTP board and the jumper feeds the GK3.

FTP hex pickup --> FTP PCB board --> Gk3 hex input

Gumbo might be kind enough to make you the simple 8 wire connector if you cross his palms with silver and ply his palate with ample amounts of grog.

Here's what it sounds like...

https://soundcloud.com/vadie/ambient-steel

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

1. A simple jumper cable from FTP PCB to GK-3 PCB tests positive. It works just as reported by Hired Gun earlier in this thread.
2. The control cavity from a Roland Ready Strat. My goal...
3. Pics 3-5 show work in progress.
4. Pic 6 shows that using a chisel is nowhere as neat as a router in these inexperienced hands. The location of cables is evident and I have a pencil inserted into the hole for the usb and headphone cables. Hopefully this pic will help anybody trying to work out a build plan for GK-3 placement.

Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

cags12

Did anyone at last integrate the ATG system into their Tripleplay installation?

@Vade - Would you be so sweet and help telling me with a few things about the OEM TriplePlay Hex pickup?

Mostly interested in the dimensions width and height (length too). To see if I can fit it on my guitar (very limited space).

This is a bit more difficult but I am interested in the DC resistance of one of the coils. This is to somewhat have an idea of the output level of the pickup.

So you know. The GK3 pickup's output is so weak that it cannot drive the ATG system. I am looking to see if the TriplePlay pickup can drive the ATG system.

Vade

@ "Mostly interested in the dimensions width and height (length too). To see if I can fit it on my guitar (very limited space)."

Here's the aftermarket FTP info including dimensions.

https://www.fishman.com/products/series/tripleplay/tripleplay-wireless-guitar-controller/

@ "This is a bit more difficult but I am interested in the DC resistance of one of the coils. This is to somewhat have an idea of the output level of the pickup."

You might ask Fishman about the DC resistance as I've no way to measure it. They've been very helpful when I've had questions.

@ "So you know. The GK3 pickup's output is so weak that it cannot drive the ATG system. I am looking to see if the TriplePlay pickup can drive the ATG system."

I'm not going the ATG route myself but I'm sure others will be interested in your tests regarding this. Inquiring minds want to... share road warrior stories while winsome lasses sling many rounds of ale at their guitar heroes.

cags12

Quote from: Vade on February 03, 2018, 08:37:08 AM
@ "Mostly interested in the dimensions width and height (length too). To see if I can fit it on my guitar (very limited space)."

Here's the aftermarket FTP info including dimensions.

https://www.fishman.com/products/series/tripleplay/tripleplay-wireless-guitar-controller/

@ "This is a bit more difficult but I am interested in the DC resistance of one of the coils. This is to somewhat have an idea of the output level of the pickup."

You might ask Fishman about the DC resistance as I've no way to measure it. They've been very helpful when I've had questions.

@ "So you know. The GK3 pickup's output is so weak that it cannot drive the ATG system. I am looking to see if the TriplePlay pickup can drive the ATG system."

I'm not going the ATG route myself but I'm sure others will be interested in your tests regarding this. Inquiring minds want to... share road warrior stories while winsome lasses sling many rounds of ale at their guitar heroes.

Thanks Vade, shortly after posting I found the specification on Fishman's web site.
Yeah, I will ask them directly about the Output levels thanks.

At the moment I am also looking for anyone whose has spare Hex pickups that are interested to sell. Fishman's is 1st in the list. I'm not interested in the whole FTP product.

Hopefully I can find a suitable solution for my issue. Will report for sure.

chrish

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on November 20, 2015, 01:53:15 PM
Even better news is that it may be available from Fender as spare parts (7703232000 and 7702480000) and could potentially be retrofitted to any other guitar!
just curious if you were ever able to obtain one of those hex pickups (as a separate part) from the Fender Triple Play Strat.

I ran the number through the fender parts site and nothing came up.

That pickup looks like it may fit the Roland G Series guitars as I'm currently  looking for a hex pickup to fit a G505. So I'm looking for the specs on that puppy.

admin

Quote from: chrish on February 01, 2019, 11:15:02 AM
just curious if you were ever able to obtain one of those hex pickups (as a separate part) from the Fender Triple Play Strat.

That pickup looks like it may fit the Roland G Series guitars as I'm currently  looking for a hex pickup to fit a G505. So I'm looking for the specs on that puppy.

Tripleplay Strat parts  have been sold out  / not available from Fender since 2016 

Fender has new management and they severed many third party relationships  - or let the contract lapse (thus the end of Roland G5/ GC-1 Strats, end of Fishman Triplelplay Strats)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Mooney

admin

Quotelooking for a hex pickup to fit a G505.

Contact Antares - they may have a spare Shadow hex PU from the Luthier Kit

chrish

chrish

Quote from:  philjynx on February 01, 2019, 11:42:38 AM

Here's a [DISLIKE] button for Fender's policy. Too many door closers around....
well, if you are a billionaire it's just one big game of Monopoly after all.

There is still a brand new Triple Play Strat on reverb from Italy.

https://reverb.com/item/18146767-fender-tripleplay-oem-stratocaster-3-tr-sunburst-chitarra-elettrica

I guess whoever purchases that is out of luck for parts as are all the others who landed on that square. Just a roll of the dice I guess.

Sent an email to Antares and will post result here.

chrish

Quote from: admin on February 01, 2019, 11:31:23 AM
Contact Antares - they may have a spare Shadow hex PU from the Luthier Kit

here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting Antares! We do not provide any replacement units for the product you are describing.

Thank you,
Carter
support@antarestech.com
Antares Audio Technologies"

I also read on another post somewhere on this site that Fishman will not supply their OEM internal kit hex pickups.

So, I've  decided to use a GK3 internal kit pickup from Roland to replace the Roland G505 pup.

From researching the GK3 and G505 pickups impedance here and on Dr. Joness's site, they match for the type board and "narrow" hex pup on that year G505.

I just need to find a pin connector for the GK3 that will fit the connector on the G505 board that was designed to receive a bare ribbon cable end.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: chrish on February 01, 2019, 11:15:02 AM

Well, persistence does pay off!  I can now officially obtain parts from Fishman through my custom guitar building business.  They don't sell the individual FTP parts; I can get the entire OEM FTP kit, but it is not cheap!

I will be checking with Fender shortly, but I'm fairly sure that they bought the full OEM kit from Fishman as well and therefore would not stock spare pickups.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: chrish on February 03, 2019, 11:03:23 AM

So, I've  decided to use a GK3 internal kit pickup from Roland to replace the Roland G505 pup.

From researching the GK3 and G505 pickups impedance here and on Dr. Joness's site, they match for the type board and "narrow" hex pup on that year G505.

I just need to find a pin connector for the GK3 that will fit the connector on the G505 board that was designed to receive a bare ribbon cable end.

What is wrong with your G505 pickup?  Is it missing or malfunctioning? 

chrish

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on February 03, 2019, 02:47:40 PM
What is wrong with your G505 pickup?  Is it missing or malfunctioning?
I recently purchased a Roland G303 with a missing hex pick up and back cover plate.

I grabbed the hex pup off of a spare G505 to get the 303 working and it does now.

I purchased that 505 as a parts guitar but it turned out to be in way better shape than I thought.

So was looking to place a hex back on the G505 and get it working again.

mos6507

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on February 03, 2019, 02:29:53 PM
Well, persistence does pay off!  I can now officially obtain parts from Fishman through my custom guitar building business.  They don't sell the individual FTP parts; I can get the entire OEM FTP kit, but it is not cheap!

I will be checking with Fender shortly, but I'm fairly sure that they bought the full OEM kit from Fishman as well and therefore would not stock spare pickups.

Anyone have a pic of the internal kit?  I'm curious to see how the board differs from the external unit.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: mos6507 on February 03, 2019, 05:53:28 PM
Anyone have a pic of the internal kit?  I'm curious to see how the board differs from the external unit.

EDIT: Sorry, brain fart!  I meant to post the FTP view.

Here's a view of the Fender GC-1 version:

mos6507

So it's wireless but has no problem being inside the guitar with shielding?

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

admin

Quote from: mos6507 on February 03, 2019, 08:18:32 PM
So it's wireless but has no problem being inside the guitar with shielding?

FWIW- Guitar Builder posted a pic of Fender /Roland GC-1 Strat - thats not the wireless Fishman Tripleplay Strat

As all OEM Tripleplay guitars ( Godin Session Tripleplay, Fender Tripleplay Strat) The FTP wireless module with antenna  is on the plastic plate - mounted on the rear.

See center bottom pic

chrish

So if an OEM hex pickup fails, Fishman won't provide a replacement for a reasonable cost?

So a customer would have to go to an authorized repair person and have the entire kit replaced?

If true it's kind of amazing that a pickup company doesn't want to sell pickups.

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on February 03, 2019, 02:29:53 PM

mos6507

Quote from: chrish on February 04, 2019, 10:29:28 AM
So if an OEM hex pickup fails, Fishman won't provide a replacement for a reasonable cost?

It's crappy but has Roland ever offered replacement pickups by themselves?
Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

admin

Sure  - give them a call

GK-3 Service Notes
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=73.0;attach=6628

Order: Roland GK-PU = P/N:  75E112X000

Roland Corporation U.S.
5100 S. Eastern Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90040-2938
Customer Service Tel: (323) 890-3700

Roland & BOSS U.S. Service Center
2530 E Lindsay Privado Unit A
Ontario, CA 91761
(323) 890-3771

Roland Canada
parts  604-270-6626, ext. 108 ---
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM PST 
RCM.parts@roland.com

Roland Australia
PRODUCT SUPPORT / CUSTOMER SERVICE
38 CAMPBELL AVENUE, DEE WHY, NSW 2099, AUST
: +61 (0) 2 9982 8266
: +61 (0) 2 9981 1875
: zachary.odgers@roland.com
: rolandcorp.com.au
: au.boss.info

Remember the full GK-KIT-GT3 is $135 from UK  - (includes a new GK mag hex PU )
https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitar-accessories/electric-guitar-pickups-electronics/roland-gk3-internal-pickup-kit

chrish

Quote from: mos6507 on February 04, 2019, 11:57:56 AM
It's crappy but has Roland ever offered replacement pickups by themselves?
don't know about the modern configuration of that Corporation however Roland did Supply replacement pickups at one time according to Dr. Joness's site.

https://www.joness.com/gr300/G-303.htm

"We don't have any humbucking pickups for your G-808 (I physically went out to parts dept. to check.)" begins the note! Well, that is some bad news! But Mark Wire was able to find a replacement hex divided pickup! And Mark notes the serial numbers of the new and old pickups: Old type: #601 Pick-Up 22380601 New type: #610 Pick-Up 22380610.

I did just order another gk3 internal kit from the UK a couple of days ago. Seems like the best value out there.

I like the way Anderton's always checks,to inform you that the warranty would be invalid in a different country and whether or not you want to proceed with the order.