Show us your VGuitar gear ...

Started by GrinPicker, March 09, 2009, 12:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenSonic

MCK, did I see the Custom Headless Baritone from VanceG pictured above on the Ergonomic guitar site? One of mine was featured there too called the "Mini Gordo". looks interesting!

MCK

Yup. Thats the one. I love it. Your headless looks amazing too. Is there anymore information on it somewhere on the web?

MCK

Thanks for sharing. Looks like an awesome guitar. I really like the Moses neck and seems like your luthier did an amazing job in marrying to that wonderfully carved body. Very nice.

ZenSonic

Thanks MCK, Rick Canton crafted a one piece flamed Honduran mahogany body that I agree goes very well with the neck. My only issue with the guitar is that the spacing of the GK3 does not completely align with the Steinberger string spacing so I have to increase the string sensitivity of the high and low E string on the GR55 to compensate. It plays very well and is quite stable.

aliensporebomb

It's a big train-set.  Please pay attention:

Corei7 iMac 27" + 12 gigs ram + 5.7 TB disc + Acer 23" LCD
Mesa Studio Preamp + Lexicon Vortex + TC Electronic G Sharp
Roland VG99 + FC300 + Fender Stratocaster + Roland GK3
Ion Tape2PC Tape to USB interface
Roland VS840EX recorder (mainly used as analog front end to iMac)
M-Audio FastTrack USB interface
M-Audio Midisport 2x2
Dual 8-port USB interfaces (16 total)
Shuttle Xpress Controller
M-Audio StudioPro 4 monitors
Bose Companion 3 Series I computer speakers + sub
Altec Lansing ACS33 computer speakers + sub
Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai looper
Boss OC-2 Octave Divider
MXR Blue Box
TC Electronic Booster Line Driver
Boss DD-3 Delay
Two Behrenger 8-Channel submixers
Assorted Condenser, Pressure Zone and other mics

Downstairs: 
Yamaha CS1X synthesizer / Midi Controller
Rack with BBE Sonic Maximizer 422
ART SGE II
Roland Jazz Chorus 120
Roland R-5 Human Rhythm Composer
Six String Bass
Alvarez Fusion CE Acoustic Six String Guitar
Samick Acoustic Twelve String Guitar
Ibanez Artist Guitar
Heartfield EX-2 Guitar
Jackson Soloist SL2 Guitar

Looks like the YMO shipping manifest on the back of the BGM CD!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

booth421

El Groupo: Here is my Fred Flinstone V-Rig:
Steinberger(s) w/gk-3
Sustainiac Pickup
VG-99
FC-300
Giga Delay
Boosta Grande
Ancient GR-1
Boss RC-20 Looper
Roland US-20
All this goes through a small Peavey PA.. Guys who run rather elaborate old school rigs
are blown away at how good this thing sounds when we play out.. You know the whole, "A Peavey PA? Really?" Then they hear it.. I set the Peaver up  on stage where  a real amp would sit.. I go through the mains with the synth, but not the VG-99.. I have found it sounds better for me with ten inch speakers rather than the twelve.. Later.. D. Boof
Check my solo stuff out at Soundclick.com "Frank Must Die"

ZenSonic

Quote from:  booth421 on February 12, 2011, 09:35:06 AM
El Groupo: Here is my Fred Flinstone V-Rig:
Steinberger(s) w/gk-3
Sustainiac Pickup
VG-99
FC-300
Giga Delay
Boosta Grande
Ancient GR-1
Boss RC-20 Looper
Roland US-20
All this goes through a small Peavey PA.. Guys who run rather elaborate old school rigs
are blown away at how good this thing sounds when we play out.. You know the whole, "A Peavey PA? Really?" Then they hear it.. I set the Peaver up  on stage where  a real amp would sit.. I go through the mains with the synth, but not the VG-99.. I have found it sounds better for me with ten inch speakers rather than the twelve.. Later.. D. Boof
MCK, how do you like your sustainiac pickup? I want to install one in a guitar and would love to hear your impressions?

booth421

The sustainiac pickup is the most dramatic effect.. Purfect for looping, otherworldly sounds and Steve Vai impressions.. I can't say enough about it.. D. Boof
Check my solo stuff out at Soundclick.com "Frank Must Die"

ZenSonic

SweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeT! Just what I am looking for. thanks!

MCK

Quote from:  booth421 on February 12, 2011, 10:47:33 AM
The sustainiac pickup is the most dramatic effect.. Purfect for looping, otherworldly sounds and Steve Vai impressions.. I can't say enough about it.. D. Boof

Ditto on my end. It does take some time & patience to perfect your muting techniques as you really want to be able to control which string gets the Sustainiac attention.

As a side note, my fretless RR Strat tuned to an open tuning with Sustainiac turned up low gives me an amazing Slide guitar tone & experience without the Slide itself. Pure fun.

TygermanGB

I was asked to add to this thread. I've been running a looping rig for more then a decade. I started with a GR1 and a Boomerang but times have changed. I had a very large hardware rig built up around an Echoplex before I switched to software looping.

I'm writing now because I'm killing time until my new GR55 arrives later today. It will be my 3rd Roland synth or my 3rd VG unit all depending how you look at it. ::)

My current software rig has vocals, MIDI drumset, the 2VGs and the GR all inputting sound. There's a selection of softsynths including a bundle of Native Instruments synths. I use several Echo/Delay VST effects as well. Bidule is my host which functions as a virtual wiring cabinet. The way I have it setup it would take 4 multi track mixers and a full rack of synth modules and effects to replace it. Mobius is my looper. Its like 8 Echoplexes networked together but I only use the one. I either pick in the drums guitar to MIDI or use Jamstix virtual drummer for my drums. I like the bass voices on the VG99 but still prefer the guitar voices on the VG8. I do alot of work with the DBeam and ribbon and have a bunch of effect patches on the VG99 just for that.

I've got a Steinberger Spirit, Fender Mustang and Fender Bronco all GK3 equipped. I'm using two US-20 to route the GK signal. I lose the switches on the pickup as they are only routed to one of the VG/GRs. It looks very complex but the controller setup simplifies most of it.

Here's a link to an MP3:http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9248689&q=hi&newref=1
and another to a video:

I'm not seeing how to get the pics into the post.
1st is my guitars
2nd is the view from behind the rig. You can see the desktop screens in back and the two notebook screens in front. The second notebook is for recording video.
3rd is the rig from above.
4th is the diagram of my current rig
5th and last is my old hardware rig
-Ty
Parker Guitars - VG-99, VG-8ex, GR-55, GP-10, US-20 and Bidule/Mobious/Jamstix NI for soft synths

TygermanGB

MCK. I was looking over you rig. Very nice. I so wanted that new Boomerang III. I still figure the original is the best pedal I ever bought. If only you didn't have to hold down the overdub button. During that long delay on the release of the Boomerang III, I downloaded Mobius and by the time the new Boomerang came out I had already set up a more functional software rig around it. I'm still want one and am jealous of yours ;)
-Ty
Parker Guitars - VG-99, VG-8ex, GR-55, GP-10, US-20 and Bidule/Mobious/Jamstix NI for soft synths

MCK

TygermanGB, thanks for your compliments. Love your setup. Clearly its a very well thought out & functional rig. Loved the way you documented how it all comes together. I have been wanting to do this but been too lazy. Will try to get it done.

Boomerang... I bought it with v1 firmware on it and waited ages for V2 to come out. IMHO, v2 is actually v1 since it enables features which were promised at launch for the base product. It is great for what it does but I'm always wary of small shops that take too long to cook up updates etc. You never know what you can expect from them in the long run. Glad Mobius is working well for you. I'd just keep going the way it is.

jkstraw

My rig is pretty stationary but well used!  I just replaced my GR-20 with the GR-55.  For my purposes I should probably sell the VG-99...but I am a gear junkie!  If MCK is the first to admit that he compensates with gear what he lacks in talent...I will proudly be the second to admit it!

The V portion

- VG-99
- GR-55
- FC-300
- US-20

Effects and misc toys:
- Axe-FX Ultra
- SMS Classic Preamp (http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/)
- Earth Drive Pedal (http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/)
- RC-50
- MX-8 Midi patchbay

Amplification:
- Atomic FR Amp
- StagePas 300
- McIntosh MC2105 SS Amp
- 2x12 JBL E-120 (powered by the 2105)
- 2x12 JBL K-120 (powered by the 2105)

Instruments:
- Custom 'ghost enabled' guitar
- GK equipped Yamaha electric
- *Usually* GK equipped Ibanez MC300 NT

Recording/Mixing:
- Yamaha 01x
- Reaper on XP (damn 01x!!)

MCK

Quote from:  jkstraw on February 15, 2011, 07:29:13 PM
My rig is pretty stationary but well used!  I just replaced my GR-20 with the GR-55.  For my purposes I should probably sell the VG-99...but I am a gear junkie!  If MCK is the first to admit that he compensates with gear what he lacks in talent...I will proudly be the second to admit it!

Great rig. That Garcia looking guitar is amazing! Karma to you for joining me! I am sure we're not alone...  ;D

TygermanGB

Nice rig jkstraw. I like "the pit" surrounded by gear and way cool guitars. I think of all the gear as a way to stretch my talent.  Just curious, why the humidifier?
-Ty

jkstraw

Quote from:  TygermanGB on February 15, 2011, 07:50:12 PM
Just curious, why the humidifier?

I am up in Ottawa (Canada) - pretty cold up here and even with a flow-through humidifier attached to my furnace my studio room get down to mid-low 20's for humidity.  I try and keep my guitars between 45%-55% year round.  I keep the Larrivee in a case when not in use - but the custom electric (my prize possession) doesn't have a case yet!  So I am running down to fill that humidifier 2x a day!  Funny enough if you look at the one of the pics I posted (the attachment) you can zoom in and see I am only at 44%!!  (On top of the GDEC amp). 

Thanks for the kind words guys :-)  All the pics on this thread are great!

TygermanGB

WaZaaa! My GR55 arrived today. It was a day late due to FedEx sending it to Memphis.
So far its what I expected from all I've read and seen. It's not a fit for my main rig, didn't think it would be. I already have the 2 other VGs its got nothing on them and my ambient and drum soft synths are so much more suited to my style. But the unit is like a little "mini-me" rig. Its got the built in mini-looping, mini-CSOM, and it has some WAY WAY cool new drum sets to use. I can lay down bass and drums on the loop and fire up the CSOM. I'll be running it and one of my Roland mini amps off a portable battery. With my little Steinberger the whole rig will fit in a milk crate and I can play any where. Now I just need the rain to stop. It will leave me time to program the new GR, not really looking forward to that.
-Ty

imall41

I'm a newbee to flow chart software, hope this makes sense.

Hard to take pics until I get my US-20 "Magic Box" back from Elantric(-:

It's a major snakepit of cables right now anyway. Obviously this chart represents my studio setup.

The SM57's are in Iso Cabs (not represented on the chart).

Except for the missing US-20 that should get to Elantric day after tomorrow, this is all up and running.

As soon as I read the GR-55 manual and understood how the guitar out jack worked, I couldn't wait to get my US-20 "Magic Box"mod.

TygermanGB

Nice rig imall41. I hope you get your US-20 back soon so you can play with your new toy.
-Ty

imall41

Thanks Tyger', It's a never ending quest for that elusive sweet spot!

Might have the "Magic Box" back by Fri 2/25, if the stars are in proper alignment.

MCK

Quote from:  imall41 on February 16, 2011, 05:48:10 PM
I'm a newbee to flow chart software, hope this makes sense.

Sweet! You've done a great job with that sofware documenting your setup. May I ask what you use for the document? I need to do something similar and regular old drawing s/w is taking too long. Missing Visio from my old PC...

imall41

Quote from:  MCK on February 17, 2011, 07:16:05 AM
Sweet! You've done a great job with that sofware documenting your setup. May I ask what you use for the document? I need to do something similar and regular old drawing s/w is taking too long. Missing Visio from my old PC...

Hi MCK,

Thanks. I never used flow chart software till yesterday.

That shows you how intuitive and easy this program is.

It's called Gliffy. Just type it in Google. You don't even install it. It's web based.

After you sign up, you can upload photos of your gear to use on the chart (uploads Fast).

Super fast, super easy. I love it, and free for 30 days, and they don't even take any billing info to sign up.

Same as you, I started to draw a diagram on paper and said, "there has got to be a better way" and Viola, Gliffy (-:

Get it and have fun. I had a blast doing that, and thanks again.

MCK