SY-300 - Live Sets from Boss

Started by cplm, June 18, 2015, 12:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

Alex Hutchings' "Dual Personality" (1:05) is really promising.

Spider

Question is: Sell Blofeld or not sell...

thebrushwithin

Think about using the Blofield with it!
Sounds like it's coming together for the SY, as these guys are putting some time into it! 6 months from now when all types of instruments become the input, and experimentation really takes off, we will appreciate what Roland has developed here! Awesome potential!

deadpoet

Quote from:  Elantric
All of today's SY-300 demos show much better tones I can use - only 2 more weeks before these start shipping to dealers.

I posted this comment on one of the demo's too:  hearing and seeing those demo's made me feel like I was watchin a GR-300 demo instead of a 2015 product... I mean, those backing tracks and most of the sounds used... If you check out stuff like the MXR/Dunlop demo's and compare (I'm not talking about the little "scenario's" they Dunlop seems to be using more an more) but those feel and sound like the REAL stuff, makes you want to buy that stuff because it just sounds right.
Watching these demo's gives me a bit more of an idea on how the SY-300 will sound like but I can't say I found a lot of sounds in these (both guitar and bass-oriented) that I would like to recreate.

What I would do you ask? I'm not a marketing dude (at all) but why not show a little more diversity... I bet people doing hybrid music nowadays would want one of these so why not add a little dubstep, electro, d'n'b,.. Put in a few JMJ/Vangelis-like sounds, program the sequencer to do something DonnaSummer/Moroder-alike, shred some wih a lead synth, show off the legacy of the filters and oscillators used in this thing.

/rant and still anxiously waiting on the release date :-)

Herwig
Freelance bass player, music teacher, sound engineer, pedal junkie

mbenigni

QuoteSounds like it's coming together for the SY, as these guys are putting some time into it! 6 months from now when all types of instruments become the input, and experimentation really takes off, we will appreciate what Roland has developed here! Awesome potential!

Agreed.  I only wish it weren't dropping just a few weeks before the Helix.  No way I can justify both.  :)

thebrushwithin

QuoteWhat I would do you ask? I'm not a marketing dude (at all) but why not show a little more diversity... I bet people doing hybrid music nowadays would want one of these so why not add a little dubstep, electro, d'n'b,.. Put in a few JMJ/Vangelis-like sounds, program the sequencer to do something DonnaSummer/Moroder-alike, shred some wih a lead synth, show off the legacy of the filters and oscillators used in this thing.

Agreed! I'm betting that will come out of this community! We have a lot of explorers here.

LightninRick

Trying to figure out how the noise sort of 'pre-amble' in the Funny Cat patch from Yutaka Nakano's set was made. It doesn't seem to change as I turn off the oscillators, until all three are off, and it comes back with any one of them turned on. Anyone have any ideas?

gumtown

Quote from: LightninRick on July 15, 2015, 12:55:46 PM
Trying to figure out how the noise sort of 'pre-amble' in the Funny Cat patch from Yutaka Nakano's set was made. It doesn't seem to change as I turn off the oscillators, until all three are off, and it comes back with any one of them turned on. Anyone have any ideas?
There is a setting where the Oscillators can be linked or synchronised.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Will Robinson

Look for a wave assignment
I think that was the preset that had me on the same hunt....

Dharmashawn

Quote from:  cpl
Three new Live Sets from Boss/Roland:

Funk-Fusion Synth Bass Collection by Tamas Barabas

Intros & Leads Collection by Tamas Barabas

and the SY-300 preset patches

http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/sy-300/

My frustration with this pedal peaked today and I thought....maybe this one isn't for me. I am a Bass player and re: bass sounds I have heard very little. As I was getting ready to box this guy up I checked in here and BOOM.....a handleful of great sounding Bass patches. In the beginning I said to myself wait it out it will be worth it.

Happy day....but now WORK
"Blessed are the weird people, the poets, and misfits, the artists, the writers, and music makers, the dreamers, the outsiders; for they force us to see the world differently."

Elantric

Having lived through the first invasion of Synths being marketed to musicians , I've grown accustomed to the fact that for any given new technology, it can take several months after a product is released before its true strengths become apparent. Rather like Ainsoph"s GP-10 efforts have finally made the GP-10 worth owning,
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=13382

I figure this time next year , we will be witness to what the SY-300 can really do. Programming the SY-300 is like earning points in basketball, for every good patch, you have to make 20 attempts!

jshortz

I can be patient.When I hear some nice thick pads and really usuable organ/string tones I may be more interested.

mbenigni

Quote from: jshortz on August 26, 2015, 08:43:02 AM
I can be patient.When I hear some nice thick pads and really usuable organ/string tones I may be more interested.

+1.  I'd like to hear something like a Rhodes-style electric piano, or a faux B3 while we're at it.  The stuff I'm hearing so far is interesting, but I'm not likely to use any of it except for mono leads - and I'm hoping the Helix will deliver those anyway.

Elantric

Quoteand I'm hoping the Helix will deliver those anyway.

I'm not expecting any improvement over the limited HD500X mono Guitar Synth

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on August 26, 2015, 09:19:42 AM
I'm not expecting any improvement over the limited HD500X mono Guitar Synth

Perhaps not.  I'm not actually familiar with the HD500X synth either.  Line 6 has been pretty tight-lipped about the Helix synth, except to say that it has 20-something parameters (which sounds like fun.)  The fact that it's never mentioned in demos might be an indication that it's an afterthought, or a holdover from the HD.

admin

http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/detail/jim_orourke_collection/

Jim O'Rourke -- An American musician/ composer/ record producer born in Chicago in 1969. He has an extensive background in diverse music scene from pops to free improvisation and electronic music. He is well-known as a member of the band "Gastr del Sol" and "Sonic Youth" and won a Grammy award as a producer of "Wilco". Also he has been working on many film musics with Werner Herzog, Koji Wakamatsu etc. He is now based in Japan and has been delivering versatile musical works to the world.

http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/detail/jim_orourke_collection/