VController version 1

Started by sixeight, May 31, 2015, 04:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixeight

Did another video last night of the latest additions to the project. Did add some text to it, so I am not just pushing some buttons. It is impossible to read the display on the video from this distance...
Also showing off my rather splendid slippers.

Once the V-Controller is completely ready, I should do a proper video.

sixeight

Quote from: CodeSmart on September 25, 2015, 01:24:23 PM
I  was'nt aware they still exist. They were very good long time ago (80's). I hope  they still are. They were number 1 hard rock band preachers in Sweden at the time. Have a great concert Sixeight!!!

Well these guys still know how to play. Only two of the original band members left. The new generation is taking over. But they are still great performing, radical and putting it out loud and clear. Had a great concert.

sixeight

Finally added the DC power plug to the VController with an 7805 voltage regulator.
Found out the Vcontroller only uses about 45 mA of power.

When I try to power everything from one power supply of 2A, I get into trouble with ground loops. The GR55 is connected to the aux in of the GP10. Also the GK inputs are connected together in my homebrew GK splitter. When I disconnect the GK splitter and connect directly to the GR55 or GP10 everything runs fine from one power supply. But connecting the GKmsplitter gives me noise trouble.

Using two power supplies is ok though, so I guess that is the simplest solution.

Elantric

Ground loop hum  = Classic fault with GK-13 Splitter boxes and fanout boxes

You only need Ground and Power on the first Connected Gk Host to the connected GK guitar

the "trick" is try a ground lift Isolate the large circular shell DIN connection on the secondary GK13 jacks # 2,3,4

sixeight

Built the MIDX10 in the VController. Had to change a lot of code to get Serial 3 working. Also had a short circuit of midi 3 in on the main board. So it took a little longer than expected. But it is working now. Great to have one USB cable between the GP10 and the V-Controller.

CodeSmart

Thanks for the pic. The board is yours. I'm so happy Sixeight   :D
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

gumtown

Just updated the Vcontroller with the latest GitHub download, (22/09/15)
now I can't seem to get any midi output.
I only have the GR-55 connected to the 5 pin midi ports at the moment, the Vcontroller reads the PC messages from the GR-55, but that is all that happens.
I can connect the GR-55 via USB cable, routed through midi-yoke to teensy midi USB port and the GR-55 on responds to Vcontroller patch change, but nothing else.

Maybe I have cooked something?  ???
I will try a previous firmware and check..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

Quote from: gumtown on October 03, 2015, 02:49:51 AM
Just updated the Vcontroller with the latest GitHub download, (22/09/15)
now I can't seem to get any midi output.

Make sure you have it connected bi-directional. Otherwise the GR55 will not be detected.
You can also check the serial monitor in the Arduino software to see the MIDI traffic.

But if usbMidi is working, it could be a hardware fault as well. I actually had that problem today. Turned out to be a loose wire on the back of the midi connector.

I will put up a new version with a working serial3 port as well. I use that one for the MIDX10.

gumtown

I compiled and installed your latest update (yesterday's) and all is working now  :)
My kids were all onto the "thing with the pretty coloured lights" so I didn't get too much time to play with it,
but so far all is good.

With the 10mm neo pixel leds I have used, I have needed to increase the brightness by a ratio of x5 (multiplied all colour mix numbers),
but mine are shining through diffused lenses (transparent furniture leg protector cups).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

Quote from: gumtown on October 04, 2015, 11:24:15 AM
I compiled and installed your latest update (yesterday's) and all is working now  :)

I am glad you got it working now.

It is still a bit tricky to get out of the combi mode. You have to press the tap tempo button once and then the top buttons are working again... Still have to think of another way to deal with modes. I am getting too many of them, wanting to implement every idea into the pedal This is always the risk of these kind of projects. When they start doing too many things, you run out of buttons. But combo mode works great in live situations. I tested it last evening and this morning with practise/church service. Great.

QuoteMy kids were all onto the "thing with the pretty coloured lights" so I didn't get too much time to play with it, but so far all is good.
With the coloured lights, you are always ready for Christmas ;D

MusicOverGear

WOW I just saw the vid at the top of this page. I remember when you were starting this - never imagined you'd make something so sophisticated and useful. Really stunning work. Congrats!