VGuitar Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Down

Author Topic: V-controller: a Universal USB/MIDI/RRC2 Foot controller for GP-10/GR-55/VG-99  (Read 18586 times)

snhirsch

The biggest issue is: it relies on a program called ttymidi. This program does not support sysex. And 90% of the VControllers communication is sysex. So the ttymidi bridge is useless and there is no alternative.

Maybe Steve Hirsch can help? Or I will have to dive in myself and see if I can reprogram the ttymidi bridge to support sysex. But that is not easy...

I just now saw this post.  Why do you need the RaspberryPi and/or a serial<-->Midi converter?  I'm not clear on the problem you're trying to solve.  Doesn't your device send/receive MIDI over USB?

snhirsch

Little side project - the RPi MIDI expansion board. I still have to do a final check, but I think I will build some of these. It should fit upside down on a Raspberry Pi model B. It will provide power and MIDI and it should be able to power the VController remotely!

(Image removed from quote.)

I would be interested in a couple of those boards when you get the design sorted out.

gumtown

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: 193

I just now saw this post.  Why do you need the RaspberryPi and/or a serial<-->Midi converter?  I'm not clear on the problem you're trying to solve.  Doesn't your device send/receive MIDI over USB?
The Arduino micro only has one USB port, and is not a host controller.
The RPI allows for 4 USB connected midi devices, either class compliant or Roland/Boss/other non-class compliant devices supported in Linux.
You end up with a 4 way USB midi merger box.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

snhirsch

Ok, now I get it. 

SixEight:  Do you plan to eventually embed the RPi inside the V-Controller?  That would make a much neater package.

sixeight

SixEight:  Do you plan to eventually embed the RPi inside the V-Controller?  That would make a much neater package.

There is a slot on the back of the VController where option boards can be placed. The RPi can be the option board. I had some brackets made for the RPi option board, but they were bent the wrong way, so now I have some new ones made.

The RPi MIDI expansion board is meant to be a seperate box to be put inside a rack. One 7 pin DIN cable can then connect midi and power to VController.

sixeight

Had the first request for a VController building guide. Here are the building plans to get started. Proceed at your own risk  ;D:

https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3

...and do post some pictures here of your progress...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:29:17 PM by sixeight »

sixeight

Finally finished the RPi expansion board, now that ttymidi and VCbridge are working.
Decided to put the capacitors on their side, to make sure it fits. The expansion board will sit as a hat on top of the RPi with all the components in between.

Started the ordering process of the PCBs. Getting ten for a start.

GuitarBuilder

Nice work!

alexmcginness

As I was looking thru this thread I thought that this kind of DIY inovation and Codesmarts stuff must be very much like the way Apple started in the garage of those tinkerers.
   Nice goin guys. I wish you much success.
VG-88, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, MIDX-10, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP.

Bassix

Hi everyone :)

I know it's possible, but need a lot of work. How can we create an editor to the Vcontroller and use it with an iPad and music apps?

It's not possible to see patch via LCD screen with some apps on the iPad.

An editor can be very efficient for everybody and a lot of application.

Thanks sixeight for sharing your creation! :)

sixeight

I know it's possible, but need a lot of work. How can we create an editor to the Vcontroller and use it with an iPad and music apps?

In my planning creating an editor is step two, I first need to make the unit programmable. I am planning to program this in the coming weeks...

It's not possible to see patch via LCD screen with some apps on the iPad.

The problem is that most apps to not have an external editor, like hardware devices do. So it is not possible to read the patch name over MIDI.

Probably the only way is to type the patch names into a list and display those on the VController displays. But so far that has not been implemented yet.

An editor can be very efficient for everybody and a lot of application.

it would be great if more programmers would come on board with this project. But first people need to build or buy a VController.

Hopefully I will be able to contact the five people on the waiting list in the coming week. I need to sort out the last issues with the enclosure. Getting them ready has taken much longer than anticipated. The enclosures were cut in January and now it is almost April and they are still not ready! I just found a new company for bending and if they deliver I may finally have a reliable address that will do both cutting and bending!

Thanks sixeight for sharing your creation! :)
You are welcome!

snhirsch

I think this is a great project.  I have no plans to build one,  but am always willing to talk hardware and software :-).

Bassix

Hi!

Another question... do you think it's possible to link this device with midi or usb with the Vcontroller?

sixeight

Another question... do you think it's possible to link this device with midi or usb with the Vcontroller?

Basic control should be possible: patch change and sending cc messages:

VoiceLive Play / GTX: MIDI control

Question

Can I control the unit by MIDI from a sequencing program or MIDI controller?

Answer

Yes, MIDI CC’s are as follows:

HIT On/Off: CC #28 (0-63 / 64-127 for toggle)
TALK On/Off: CC #114 (0-63 / 64-127 for toggle)
Patch Change: General (Program Change)
Set Key: 30
Set Scale: 31

https://music-group.force.com/musickb/view?name=tch&id=kA028000000NCYNCA4

Full control with automatic patch reading and access to all parameters is harder. There must be a working editor or better a full sysex midi implementation guide to achieve that. And two way midi communication must be possible. The voicelive has only one midi connector, but it may be possible over usb...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 01:07:00 AM by sixeight »

sixeight

Current state of the project:

Four enclosures perfect. One enclosure less than perfect (not bent properly). Still waiting for the RPi brackets. They are quite hard to build...

Front enclosure is the model with the working electronics.

Firmware development still in progress.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:44:44 PM by sixeight »

LulaNord

Hi...i am a new user here. It seems Now one member has offered to help with the PCB design. But maybe I can do it myself. Just trying to determine what program to use. So far I have been using Eagle, but it has a limitation on PCB size (8x10cm - my board will be a lot larger). And I don't want to spend any money on it, so I am looking for a free version. The program has to produce Gerber files which anyone can use to have the boards made.

sixeight

So far I have been using Eagle, but it has a limitation on PCB size (8x10cm - my board will be a lot larger). And I don't want to spend any money on it, so I am looking for a free version.

I use KiCad for my PCB designs. It is free. Can be quirky and it does crash occasionally. But I am used to it and have most of my component designs there.

EasyEda may also be an option. I have most boards produced there. They are the cheapest as they do not charge much for shipping.

If you are offering to build the VController, the PCB's are already designed. I decided to do it myself last summer. If you are building something else I am curious to know what...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:56:30 AM by sixeight »

sixeight

Package received:

Time to do some soldering and test the RPi MIDI hat.

Elantric

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: 396
    • Elantric's Tips and Blog

Clean looking PC boards

Although in years past adding the silkscreen to the bottom layer often resulted in a much higher cost board

sixeight

Although in years past adding the silkscreen to the bottom layer often resulted in a much higher cost board

Nowadays it seems to make no difference in price. The boards of the VController had a single sided silkscreen, but when I ordered them I did not have to specify single or double silkscreen anywhere. So now I design the boards with double silkscreens.

Having full text on both sides is often very useful, particularly for the connectors. And this board will sit upside down on the Raspberry Pi.

sixeight

To get an idea of what it will look like:

First need to get the last components...

Elantric

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: 396
    • Elantric's Tips and Blog

Only minor PCB review feedback suggestion - the MIDI INPUT DIN jack (P1) shell connections should have the leading edge PCB pins isolated" from bottom layer copper ground pour - to prevent possible ground loop noise entering your audio system 

Just one possible scenario that may occur ,as occasionally i run into MIDI cables where the cable shield is tied to the DIN shell on both ends

Thats why they designed all MIDi interfaces to employ opto-isolator ICs on the MIDI input

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:10:38 PM by admsustainiac »

sixeight

Only minor PCB review feedback suggestion - the MIDI INPUT DIN jack (P1) shell connections should have the leading edge PCB pins isolated" from bottom layer copper ground pour - to prevent possible ground loop noise entering your audio system 

The service guide of the GR-55 seem to suggest they are connected (pin 30, 40, 50, 60 all connected to ground):

Only today I thought of measuring it and it turns out they are not connected. Also the MIDI out shell is not connected to the enclosure.

So you have a valid point.

Pin 2 (like in the Atari schematic) is not connected in the midi in connector. So most midi cables should not give any trouble.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:57:31 PM by sixeight »

gumtown

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: 193

If you look closely at the GR-55 schematic, the midi in is only capacitive coupled to ground through C285.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Up