VGuitar Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Down

Author Topic: V-controller: a Universal USB/MIDI/RRC2 Foot controller for GP-10/GR-55/VG-99  (Read 17781 times)

snhirsch

The biggest issue is: it relies on a program called ttymidi. This program does not support sysex. And 90% of the VControllers communication is sysex. So the ttymidi bridge is useless and there is no alternative.

Maybe Steve Hirsch can help? Or I will have to dive in myself and see if I can reprogram the ttymidi bridge to support sysex. But that is not easy...

I just now saw this post.  Why do you need the RaspberryPi and/or a serial<-->Midi converter?  I'm not clear on the problem you're trying to solve.  Doesn't your device send/receive MIDI over USB?

snhirsch

Little side project - the RPi MIDI expansion board. I still have to do a final check, but I think I will build some of these. It should fit upside down on a Raspberry Pi model B. It will provide power and MIDI and it should be able to power the VController remotely!

(Image removed from quote.)

I would be interested in a couple of those boards when you get the design sorted out.

gumtown

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: 191

I just now saw this post.  Why do you need the RaspberryPi and/or a serial<-->Midi converter?  I'm not clear on the problem you're trying to solve.  Doesn't your device send/receive MIDI over USB?
The Arduino micro only has one USB port, and is not a host controller.
The RPI allows for 4 USB connected midi devices, either class compliant or Roland/Boss/other non-class compliant devices supported in Linux.
You end up with a 4 way USB midi merger box.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

snhirsch

Ok, now I get it. 

SixEight:  Do you plan to eventually embed the RPi inside the V-Controller?  That would make a much neater package.

sixeight

SixEight:  Do you plan to eventually embed the RPi inside the V-Controller?  That would make a much neater package.

There is a slot on the back of the VController where option boards can be placed. The RPi can be the option board. I had some brackets made for the RPi option board, but they were bent the wrong way, so now I have some new ones made.

The RPi MIDI expansion board is meant to be a seperate box to be put inside a rack. One 7 pin DIN cable can then connect midi and power to VController.

sixeight

Had the first request for a VController building guide. Here are the building plans to get started. Proceed at your own risk  ;D:

https://github.com/sixeight7/VController_v3

...and do post some pictures here of your progress...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 01:29:17 PM by sixeight »

sixeight

Finally finished the RPi expansion board, now that ttymidi and VCbridge are working.
Decided to put the capacitors on their side, to make sure it fits. The expansion board will sit as a hat on top of the RPi with all the components in between.

Started the ordering process of the PCBs. Getting ten for a start.

GuitarBuilder

Nice work!

alexmcginness

As I was looking thru this thread I thought that this kind of DIY inovation and Codesmarts stuff must be very much like the way Apple started in the garage of those tinkerers.
   Nice goin guys. I wish you much success.
VG-88, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, MIDX-10, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Up