Positive Grid BIAS FX (IOS)

Started by mbenigni, April 14, 2015, 07:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gscroggin

Just chiming in as a newbie with Bias FX (not with iOS music apps though). I'm on iOS 9.1 on an iPad Air (MF013LL/A) and not having any issues with Bias or any other audio apps (so far). I'm getting some random pops every once in a while with one patch I downloaded from Tosin that has some delays, but that's about it. AFAIK that could be from the ultra sensitive piezo on my Godin SA 7 or the mediocre iRig headphone dongle. In fairness it seems many of you run many more inter-audio things and AudioBus, where as I'm more of a one app at a time guy. I typically have very little running in the background as well when I'm using an audio app. Lucky me so far and hopefully I haven't just jinxed myself  :-X

All that said, can someone answer this regarding Bias FX; with some of the Tone Cloud patches I've downloaded, I get the little tube floating in from the right, which I understand is to open a custom amp in Bias amp (which I don't have). While I'm less concerned about further tweaking now (until I've spent more time in FX), I'm curious to know:
- Am I not experiencing the full custom amp sound because I don't have Bias Amp?
- OR am I hearing the full custom amp, but I just can't edit it further?

I did some hunting around but haven't found a response yet.

marcwormjim

The latter - In Bias FX, you can download custom amps and stompboxes made in Bias Amp or Pedal; but you can't edit them.

With the latest iOS FX update, I can't download certain patches - I get a message telling me that I need a new version.

The pops you're describing are due to the CPU load - My friend's Mini gets terrible pops and crackling on an FX-intensive patch, whereas the same runs fine on my Air 2. I'm curious to hear if people using the iPad Pro experience fewer artifacts when pitch-shifting.

I tried Bias Pedal for a bit last night, and don't see it being worth $20 - Perhaps when it's on sale for $10, I'll go for it. I ended up buying all of the FX expansion packs for $20; due to the halloween sale.

gscroggin

Thanks for the response marcwormjim! I was also wondering how Pedal was, thanks for the insight there. Between a good friend of mine and I, we've got a ton of pedals, so I'm curious about the tone matching capabilities.

Panthersn

For those that are running Bias FX with a Bluetooth pedal & volume/expression pedal.  How is the volume roll off?  can you produce good swells?  I've tried a Morley pedal in front of my Alesis IO/Mix and it does not work well for swells.

Panthersn

Anyone else having conpatability issues after last IOS update???  My trusty Alesis IOMIX is no longer supported.  Really pissing me off, I use that interface for BIAS FX and a bunch of recording software!!

Elantric

Panthersn

QuoteYes IOS9 is NOT recommended

Ahhh thanks, guess I will try and rollback.

Speaking of Alesis, wonder what ever happened to AmpDoc, It looked promising.

admin

Ampdock was never manufactured due to:

* Only 16 bit resolution that was too noisy for decent operation with IOS Amp modelers 

*  Hurdles with Apple mFI compliance
https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/
QuoteAhhh thanks, guess I will try and rollback.

Good luck with that
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-downgrade-from-ios-9-to-8-7-reinstall-ios-8-3522302/

QuoteUpdate, 1 October 2015: Unfortunately, Apple has stopped signing both iOS 8.4.1 and iOS 9.0 which means you can't use the below method to downgrade to iOS 8. With this being said, it can still be used to downgrade from iOS 9.0.2 to iOS 9.0.1 (as long as Apple is still signing it anyway!).

melodymann

I tried unsuccessfully to roll back to 8.4 and ended up being forced to roll forward.  Things seem to be really heating up over at the positive grid  forum regarding iOS 9, not so much of a lovefest anymore!  Positive grid seems to be just burying their  heads  in the sand and I've actually seen them deleting posts that  aren't  singing their praises... Not a good sign!

Elantric

Positive Grid is not the only app that got "clobbered" due to IOS9

The Line-6 Helix will suffer "pops & Clicks" in the audio when used as an audio interface for  iPad's & iPhone's running IOS

- I blame Apple.  For those who still dont know - avoid OSX El Capitan too.

iOS 9 lightening to USB audio clicks and pops
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7222761
http://community.positivegrid.com/topic/105/bias-and-ios-9-is-it-safe
https://iconnectivity.com/vanilla-forum/discussion/514/any-luck-with-ios9/p2

Panthersn

Amplitube seems to be running ok, haven't had any issues yet.

Ampdock was never manufactured due to:

* Only 16 bit resolution that was too noisy for decent operation with IOS Amp modelers

*  Hurdles with Apple mFI compliance

that's too bad, the design looked good.  Having used a dongle (Peavey HD) & Doc live, I prefer a dock, gravity worked its magic with the Peavey right in the middle of a set  >:(.   Hopefully someone will come up with a road worthy dock, aluminum vs cheap plastic.

Panthersn

Good news the latest Bias patch fixed the OS issue!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

marcwormjim

Bump. Has anyone else verified the above claim? I'm still using 8.4 due to the inability to try 9.1 and roll back, if need be.

admin

I'm sticking with IOS 8.4.1 on iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air  - because this version IOS still works for all my apps

http://community.positivegrid.com/topic/105/bias-and-ios-9-is-it-safe/16

melodymann

I am running iOS 9 .1... Nothing has changed for me. It seems OK with relatively simple Rigs ( no stereo reverbs etc). Positive grid has finally  acknowledged the problem but seems to be no closer to fixing it. On the other hand 9.1 has given me some functionality that I find useful.( iPad air2).

What can you do?

admin

IOS 9 really messed up many audio performance tools

Luckily I have friends who I can compare my iPad Air with IOS 8.4.1 vs a friends iPad  Air with IOS 9.1

under IOS 9.1, run  BIAS FX and select Stereo FX and low ultra latency and you get many clicks  & pops in the audio.

also the QuiccoSound wireless bluetooth MIDI module refuses to function under IOS 9.1   

Meanwhile my iPad Air with IOS 8.4.1 still  runs fine with all my apps

sixeight

I got bias FX in the recent black friday sale. I am running it on an ipad 2 with ios 8.4. To my suprïse it works quite ok. Can't run it on low latency though and some of the larger rigs give cracks and pops.

But I am suprised it runs at all on an ipad that almost 5 years old.

Codeseven

I'm running BIAS Fx (amongst several other amp sims and DAW's) on my basic 16Gb iPad Air 1 iOS 9.1. I can't say I've noticed any problems at all but maybe I'm not pushing it hard enough. I know there are folks having problems with 9.1 though.

admin

QuoteI'm running BIAS Fx (amongst several other amp sims and DAW's) on my basic 16Gb iPad Air 1 iOS 9.1. I can't say I've noticed any problems at all but maybe I'm not pushing it hard enough. I know there are folks having problems with 9.1 though.

What Audio Interface are you using to connect the guitar?

On BIAS FX - go to settings and

Enable Stereo FX

and

set "Ultra Low Latency" Audio mode.

Everyone I know with IOS9 who does the above, gets pops and crackles in the audio - even with an iPad Air or iPad Air 2 .

Codeseven

Quote from: admsustainiac on December 08, 2015, 07:50:17 AM

What Audio Interface are you using to connect the guitar?

On BIAS FX - go to settings and

Enable Stereo FX

and

set "Ultra Low Latency" Audio mode.

Everyone I know with IOS9 who does the above, gets pops and crackles in the audio - even with an iPad Air or iPad Air 2 .

I'll check those settings out and check back in.

The only two audio interfaces I've been using is either Jam96 or simple Rocksmith USB guitar cable.

EDIT: Has anyone tried the newly released iOS 9.2 yet?

Codeseven

Ok, so, Guitar->Jam96->16Gb iPad Air 1 iOS 9.1->BIAS FX, Ultra Low Latency ON, Stereo Mode ON, Factory 3A US Clean->Headphone Jack->Sennheiser 25-1 headphones = No 'discernible' crackles but Yes, the occasional pop for sure.

Not saying others aren't hearing both on a regular basis but this is my current experience. To be honest I hadn't even noticed the pops before but, I think if I had been recording and scrutinizing tracks they would have been much more obvious.

Update: Just updated to iOS 9.2, same scenario as above = No 'discernible' crackles, or pops. YMMV.

I played a few times with different clean settings but I still don't hear any pops or crackles now.

Elantric

No feature exists in IOS9 that motivates me to upgrade either my iPhone 6 Plus or iPad Air away from my working IOS 8.4.1

Its well known that each incremental update of IOS brings more bloat, that impacts performance negatively if your device is older than 18 months.

I dont need the latest Apple music or itunes or pop up ads

If it aint broke - dont "fix it"

mordecai

Unfortunately this is not only exclusive to iOS but with OSX as well. Anymore the trend seems to be going towards pandering to the media CONSUMPTION crowd now rather than media PRODUCTION crowd in which many of us have gone to Mac for in the past. I don't need text messages popping up on my computer screen or enhanced facetime features. I was hopeful for the snap window features in El Cap but it's clumsy and El Cap broke a lot of audio related things(most have recovered but it still not stable enough for me). Yosemite is solid with all the programs I use but I do like to live on the edge and have El Captain on my machine now, Focusrite drivers didn't like it but running with CoreAudio it works fine. Otherwise all my Arturia and NI stuff work fine now. Apple is a very different company since the loss of Jobs, hope they wake up a bit.

I am on iOS 8 on all my music related Apple devices still.

Codeseven

Not long ago I bought my Air 1 as an Apple Refirb. just to test the iPad waters (I'll more than likely dump my old 2008 MBP in favor of an iPad Pro soon). I don't remember which version of iOS it came with but I know I updated it soon after receiving it. I was unaware of iOS 9's pitfalls at the time or of this great Forum (thanks for being here, I'm a regular visiter now!). I don't think I can install iOS 8.4.1 on it now but it sounds like, at the moment, 8.4.1 is the iOS version to stick with if your currently running it.

pjrodz

Quote from: Codeseven on December 08, 2015, 03:39:45 PM
Ok, so, Guitar->Jam96->16Gb iPad Air 1 iOS 9.1->BIAS FX, Ultra Low Latency ON, Stereo Mode ON, Factory 3A US Clean->Headphone Jack->Sennheiser 25-1 headphones = No 'discernible' crackles but Yes, the occasional pop for sure.

Not saying others aren't hearing both on a regular basis but this is my current experience. To be honest I hadn't even noticed the pops before but, I think if I had been recording and scrutinizing tracks they would have been much more obvious.

Update: Just updated to iOS 9.2, same scenario as above = No 'discernible' crackles, or pops. YMMV.

I played a few times with different clean settings but I still don't hear any pops or crackles now.

could anyone else confirm please if the crackle/pops issue is already fixed in iOS 9.2? thank you :)