GP-10 - Help deciding..GP10 or GR55

Started by Zouny1, March 30, 2015, 03:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippinpost91850

QuoteA Guitarist should Never loose sight that Rule #1 is Demonstrating to the public your excellent musicianship

Quoteand i agree ! 

And I have to agree 100%

Spaces caper

Quote from: Zouny1 on April 04, 2015, 04:07:33 PM
Spaces caper, thanks for jumping in. I hope I didn't come across as having a go at you and really appreciate where you were coming from. The thing I like about this forum so far compared to others is the debate is healthy and respectful and as a result there's something helpful in every post.
   Thanks again guys

Not at all Zouny, you have been nothing but kind and cordial, but I do appreciate your post!  The moderators here are tops and the information they have is pretty priceless, I'm glad you found your way here.

I actually felt a stab from Jims post as it felt unnecessarily negative towards possibility.  I am a one man band with 2 drum machines, synths/piano, (synth)guitar and vocals.  Could I reduce everything down to my guitar/piano and voice?  Sure, and I do to break up the set.  But no amount of skill will allow a lone guitarist to sound like a full band (I have heard close, but you still know you are listening to a guitarist).. I, however, even with my relatively limited guitar skill, can (obviously I am utilizing talents beyond guitar to do so, but it allllll started with my Taylor and line 6 looper yearsss ago, and each piece of gear I acquired made me a better musician and performer, gear inspired me!). 

So yes, my foot print is large, but I don't need a band, which compensates for space.  And when friends can't help transport, I hire someone because I'm still able to charge full band prices (or dj prices as it were).

Gear is good (and motivating) if you are intelligent about it.

And to daisy chain replies.. Thank you for your post Elantric, i appreciate you taking the time to describe an obviously well thought out set up.  Your rig is very nice and very practical... I like the idea of flipping the screen towards the audience for a visual experience!  I utilize a projector connected to my iPhone (with a 25 ft VGA cable, though I recently realized wireless VGA exists!), which I place between the gk3 and the tremolo on my godin xtsa.. Then control visual pattern swells that I intensify on a solo or chorus with a touch (during rests or held notes).  But the app (and another i use) is limited and loses appeal after a few songs (unless your audience is drunk, then it works endlessly ;)

Apologies again, though i will say I am incredibly impressed with the cool heads on the moderators here.

CodeSmart

Quote from: Spaces caper on April 06, 2015, 03:10:58 AM
I actually felt a stab from Jims post as it felt unnecessarily negative towards possibility.
+1
Agree.
Even though I'm not a professional guitarist I think I can play pretty good 80's classic rock solos with GP-10 at the guitar and when I'm not soloing activate the GR-55 as a synth guy where it suits. Just because I use them both doesn't make me a lousy guitarist. Too little practicing does. Some people here can hire a synth guy for a  gig but that's very difficult to me. My guitar gear sounds like guitar even without the GP-10, but there won't be something close to a synth guy without the GR-55.

There's no right or wrong here, no good or bad. Just express yourself, and have fun  :)
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Jim Williams

It seems a few of you have misunderstood some of my posts.... My intention was no matter what gear you choose let it be all about you and your playing as an individual. There were no stabs at anyone's playing ability there were only opinions meant to help others in choosing what gear they may or may not decide to buy. I also stated that I use different gear in different situations and I am sorry if my humble opinion sounded like preaching. playing music does not matter if you pay guitar synth or a kazoo as long as you are true to yourself. Zouny1 started this thread looking for direction in what he wanted and my thoughts were only to assist him in deciding what was best for him. I didn't want to tell him what I thought was best for him I thought it was best for to come to his own decision based on his own musical needs.

Again,  I am sorry for coming across as a musical Prima Donna preaching of the greatness that others will never achieve.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

mbenigni

Quotewow, i didnt think those sounds [Ainsoph's great synth tones] were possible with the GP10!

QuoteI was watching a Steve Stevens demo of the GR55 where he sustains a string pad chord while playing a guitar line over the top

Just a couple of practical points here:  most of Ainsoph's synth-based approximations of other instruments are meant to be played through single note passages.  They won't perform well with chords, double stops, etc.  This is where a proper MIDI-triggered sample-based module like the one in the GR-55 will excel.  But having said that, playing any MIDI guitar synth tends to be a little finicky, so unless you have some experience with this and know what to expect, you might be disappointed with the feel of the GR-55 synths anyway.

The first thing to ask is how important the synth (and non-guitar instrument) tones are for you, and whether you're looking to play polyphonic passages, e.g. string pad chords.  If yes, the GR-55 might suit you better.  Alternately, you could go with a GP-10 and some external gear - ideally, a laptop that will accommodate the GP-10's requirement for USB MIDI.  If I were starting from scratch, I'd personally be looking at a GP-10 and a mid-priced laptop with a decent soft-synth installed.  The GP-10 sounds a bit better, takes up less real estate on stage, and in some ways is the better value.  But if you want the job done in one box, there certainly are things the GR-55 will do that the GP-10 will not.

Zouny1

Thanks mbenigni. And everyone who's answered. All your opinions have been valuable.
The reason I've gone with the go10 is exactly what you state. I already have a laptop with soft synths, and the function the go10 can give me as a straight MFX box in my originals band seems to make it more versatile.  :)
Let It Happen

mbenigni

QuoteI already have a laptop with soft synths

Ah - I didn't gather as much by skimming the posts above, but this being the case, I definitely think you made the best decision.  A laptop w/ softsynths is something you can bring when you need it, leave home when you don't, and it will offer more versatility in terms of available timbres, etc.  Meanwhile, the GP-10 gives you Roland's latest/greatest in terms of guitar and amp COSM.

CodeSmart

Agree. GP-10 + soft synths should cover most things.
And Jim, no worries  ;)

Elantric

QuoteI utilize a projector connected to my iPhone (with a 25 ft VGA cable, though I recently realized wireless VGA exists!)

Another option for streaming A/V content wirelessly from ipad / iphone at gig 

(no need for a live Internet connection)

* get a small Apple Airport Express Wifi Router - I located a refurb for $55
https://www.apple.com/airport-express/

* get an Apple TV -  I located a refurb for $65

connect to your HDMI monitor / Projector to Apple TV - and wireless stream Video  from Iphone or iPad

BTW - Similar tech exists for Android and Windows Phone

Elantric

QuoteI actually felt a stab from Jims post as it felt unnecessarily negative towards possibility.

I see lots of bands - and frankly the most boring ones that never get re-hired are the ones where the musicians on stage are bent over staring at the ground while being too focused on fixing / tweaking their floor FX gear, or sorting out a bad cable mid song, and struggling missing their sync with their looper that they cant turn off, etc,   

- while never making eye contact with the crowd

* Too much gear can be a huge distraction for both you and the crowd

and at open mic night -  Dont fall into the trap of bringing too much gear that is beyond your grasp , else you risk being "up-staged" by a Karaoke machine or the guy who knows his tunes and delivers a stronger performance that "connects" with the audience.

Remember its "show biz"  - put on a show!

whippinpost91850

JolietJake

Or just get a backing track with Bass, Drums etc and play them  direct from a GR-55 or an ipad/tablet. Then sing and play all the bits you want to do. It's simple, will probably produce the best outgoing sound to the audience, and I assure you, apart from jealous musicians pointing out that "he's cheating" most people DON'T CARE as long as they get to hear their favourite songs or get a dance (if so inclined).

CodeSmart

We started to play "Have a nice day" the other day by Bon Jovi and I wanted to include a 12-string in the intro. As I have my GP-10 to my guitar amp and my GR-55 to the PA I struggled where to put the 12-string. First I used the 12-string in the GP-10 because I didn't thought the 12-string in the GR-55 was good. Boy was I wrong. With a crunch from the GP-10 into my stack I added a GR-55 12-string into the PA and the mix sound so good. Tuned down the amp and just carefully listened to the PA as I played the riffs of Hotel California and it's awesome. I'm not much of a patch tweaker so I took the Roland 12-Str+Organ and just removed the organ. I my personal opinion the GP-10 is convenient and ok but GR-55 into a PA is a killer with all it's features. Just love it :D
Well frankly I love 'em both.

Hey Roland keep up the good work for us rare V-guitar nerds.

Litesnsirens

For me, GR-55 has been the pepto-bismol to my G.A.S.  Admittedly probably about 80% of my patches have no synth sounds included and are just straight guitar which I could easily get from my GP-10.  But when I want those synth tones, I want them.  It's a slightly bigger foot-print than the GP-10, but not that much.  So while I would say for me, playing live, it's my GR-55, I could be just as happy with the GP-10 if I didn't need any of the synth stuff.  Of course your playing technique is important and it's a good reference to keep in your head, but I like being able to provide strings, horns, organ, sax, harmonica when a particular instrument is a key feature of the song.  So that's what drives my choice between the two but ultimately to me they are both great at providing guitar/amp/effects straight into the PA and if they weren't I wouldn't have them.

I agree that despite the fact that we are discussing gear here on this forum/thread, there is still room for the occasional nuggets of general wisdom.  At the end of the day we are musicians trying to help other musicians and it's never a bad time for any of us to re-focus and get grounded and centred.  Every once in a while as I visit the forums I find my ways of thinking being challenged, I consider other ways of thinking openly.  At the end of the day it either re-enforces my previous beliefs or takes me down a new path.  There's no downside.

DreamTheory

Quote from: Litesnsirens on June 17, 2015, 08:35:57 AM
For me, GR-55 has been the pepto-bismol to my G.A.S.

+1 to that. People think GR-55 is expensive, but it is so so so much cheaper than buying all the instruments I would have bought otherwise, and I need not make a list. Get real gear for the areas you want to specialize in, and use GR-55 to fake out the rest. Also saves the bother of learning to finger recorder flutes or hunt and peck for multiple inversions on keyboard. I don't like a lot of wires and boxes either, so GR-55 is perfect for me. Of course real/analog/acoustic gear/instruments are best for any specific sound, but if you just want to graze and try textures, you can get a taste of anything right here. Usually that is enough to satisfy my curiosity, scratch whatever the itch is, and send me off in pursuit of something new. Even after 3 or so years, I am still blown away every time I play, because there are so many unexpected things to explore and try. Every week I create a new patch that I am sure is the be all and end all. I like to look at new gear... and then take the inspiration back to GR-55.

I do not play traditional gigs for money because of lifestyle (I work most nights, and other family considerations), so music is more of a creative exploration for me, like painting. GR-55 gives me the huge sound palette. But on the rare occasion when I do actually play live, I stick with being a guitarist, and just want a few strong, identifiable, playable sounds that will complement the group and the situation. So if I were just focusing on the gigs, I'd be a GP-10 guy. Though a New Age Steve Tibbets type act using GR-55 has often tempted me....
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

gamehits

continuing on with this post...

folks, are you sure all the comments you've made are 100% accurate? i've read on this thread people saying that the GP10 has more amp models, and the models are better, but according to my research, the gp10 has 30 preamp models while the GR55 had 42. the GR55 has 23 guitar types, while the GP10 has 21 (including all acoustic models). and from what i can see and hear (and i've heard quite a bit on youtube...if one can judge from that), the models seem essentially the same. tho it is possible the tweaks\patches may be more refined on the GP10 considering it's a newer product (and considering it has substantially less in the way of synth patches, of course). also, and for someone who records a LOT this following point is very important: there is a GREAT patch editor for the GR55 while i can't find a patch editor for the GP10. I'm not saying there isn't one, i just couldn't find it within my search parameters...

am i missing something? yes the GR55 is more money...no doubt, but you get the ability to mix up to 2 synth modules, a cosm guitar model, and the original guitar output. now, one might say that the synth models aren't that useful to a performing musician, but i would argue that with the edition of a great pc editor, one can blend these synth models with cosm models to produce some amazing solo and chordal tones...if one was to take the time to do it, that is. perhaps the argument is, that the GP10 is better 'out of the box' for the performing guitarist. to that point i have no argument considering i'm not a performing guitarist. as to the patch switching delay, again, this doesn't seem like anything i'm qualified to speak on for the same reason.

Vaultnaemsae

FWIW...I've been trying to fall in love with the GP-10 because of its convenient size and 'MIDI abilities'. But despite many hours playing with it...I just can't get a boner for it. The general tones are lackluster and I have at least a couple of devices that kick its butt for pitch-to-MIDI conversion (including much older Roland gear). The other thing is when you're changing patches with the editor there's a weird volume jump if you change while sustaining a note. I'm probably not saying anything that hasn't been said before...

I mostly feel the same about the GR-55. Think they might both go up for sale soon.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

BMapson

I own both and I'm keeping them both, but I use them very differently.  In my current full band musical arrangement, I'm the second guitarist (I plink around on keys and play wind instruments as well).  I love the GP-10 for the acoustic guitar sims (particularly the alternate tunings), the amp sims, and the harmonist. These are what I use most.  I've found them to be more useful and with less a footprint than either the GR-55 or the VG-99.  Since I have a keyboard stand in front of me and a rack to the side, floor space is somewhat at a premium.  The GP-10 is perfect, compact, and very versatile for guitar.

I run Mainstage and Ableton for synths and tracks, so I can trigger anything I want using the GP-10; I don't need the GR-55 synth capability when I'm with a full band. 

When with a duo or solo, the GR-55 really shines for me.  Fairly good acoustics with plenty of pads and instruments to fill out the sound.  I also use the GR-55 in combination with a Voicelive 3 for vocal affects and intelligent harmony.  I don't use the GR-55 looper, but it's also there. 

In all situations, everything runs direct to the PA.  I rarely use speakers or an amp.

If I were the lead guitar player or the only guitar player, I would probably lean toward a GP-10 with second expression pedal or lightly used VG-99/FC300 combo.

47Flyer

Like many of us, I use both the GP-10 and the GR-55 for live gigs.  All of my guitar sounds are produced by my mag PUs or modeled tones through the GP-10.  The GR-55 is used to create anything else other than guitar.  Banjo, fiddle, piano, organ, mandolin, horns are all produced by the GR-55.  This works out great for my needs and does a lot to compliment the rest of the bands sound.  I've never even tried to use the GR-55 for guitar sounds.  The GP-10 is more responsive for patch changes but I find that if I anticipate the delay of the GR-55 patch changes then I can deal with it.  They are both very valuable tools that I have come to depend upon.  I need both of them.

CodeSmart

Quote from: 47Flyer on August 22, 2017, 10:44:08 AM
Like many of us, I use both the GP-10 and the GR-55 for live gigs.
47Flyer, it could have been me. I use them both exactly like you explained.

gamehits

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on August 19, 2017, 05:17:42 AM
FWIW...I've been trying to fall in love with the GP-10 because of its convenient size and 'MIDI abilities'. But despite many hours playing with it...I just can't get a boner for it. The general tones are lackluster and I have at least a couple of devices that kick its butt for pitch-to-MIDI conversion (including much older Roland gear). The other thing is when you're changing patches with the editor there's a weird volume jump if you change while sustaining a note. I'm probably not saying anything that hasn't been said before...

I mostly feel the same about the GR-55. Think they might both go up for sale soon.

I might be interested in the gp-10...I'm curious about the patches. But still pretty happy with my gr-55. The shareware editor made a BIG difference for me...

Vaultnaemsae

Maybe I'm eating my words but I actually used the GP-10 on two gigs this weekend. For all its shortcomings, I have to admit that its compact size, usable basic effects (reverb, delay, foot volume) and decent acoustic modeling are really practical in some contexts. Anyway, it's the only multi fx I can fit in my gig bag so I'll probably hang onto it for now since it's actually making money and meaning I don't have to bring bigger, heavier gear out when I'm taking public transport to gigs. Another big bonus is that it'll run off a portable battery pack for hours.

I also pulled out the GR-55 last night Friday night and fired it up with the editor (previously only tweaked manually on the device)...spent a bit of time with it and was happier with how much I improved the response with tweaking. But it still feels a little clunky/sluggish for my liking. Also shelved for now until I figure out if it has a place in my musical life.

My fave sounds are a combo of ATG-1/Axe FX II/Soft Synths right now...but the truth is I don't have a project to use that rig in --
not currently anyway.

There's always a gap between how I want to sound and what I have to sound like to get work as a guitarist.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae