3D Printer for Guitar Bodies

Started by DreamTheory, March 07, 2015, 04:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTheory

I am not even going to comment on sound quality, but wouldn't it be weird to have a 13 pin output equipped stick guitar and print different bodies like skins? Sort of like visual patches.

electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

sixeight

Cool. Didn't know they could already do this. Must have quite a plastic feel to the guitar, but I could be wrong about that.

Mrchevy

I'd hate to have the long hair from back in the day and be playing that Tele with the gears going inside it  :o . I do however see in the near future, if not already, the whole tone wood aspect in electric guitars, becoming somewhat irrelevant with the advancement of guitar modeling, amp modeling, and effects. The tonewood and tube purist will always exist but slap a good pickup on a side of beef and run it thru a good modeling setup and it will sound like one bad ass Marshall double stack with cheese.....even without mayonaise  ;D. The sky is the limit.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

nathanialhampton

Nice post, If weird guitars are your game, forget mahogany, alder and maple: 3D-printed guitars are the future of ambitious axe design, and they're here to stay. For better 3D printing you can head to http://3dinsider.com/3d-printing-guide/.

chrish

Quote from: nathanialhampton on November 03, 2017, 01:42:53 AM
Nice post, If weird guitars are your game, forget mahogany, alder and maple: 3D-printed guitars are the future of ambitious axe design, and they're here to stay. For better 3D printing you can head to http://3dinsider.com/3d-printing-guide/.
what's your favorite guitar at the moment?

gumbo

Quote from: nathanialhampton on November 03, 2017, 01:42:53 AM

....hmmm..
Do we have an ongoing 'search' happening here for the term "3D Printing" ( as well as "Drone" )   ?????

I guess there's probably not a lot we can do about that...
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

chrish

Quote from: gumbo on November 03, 2017, 02:31:07 PM

....hmmm..
Do we have an ongoing 'search' happening here for the term "3D Printing" ( as well as "Drone" )   ?????

I guess there's probably not a lot we can do about that...
two posts same spam link. Could be a sophisticated spam bot that's why I asked about the guitar. We'll see.

Seems like a human wanting to be part of a forum group would answer the question.

Guido81

wow, this is new for me. Great idea, imagine the exotic bodies you can make, I like that tele with gears in it, it looks cool, and they all sound pretty good
Why printing a standard LP body when can print an airplane lol

scratch17

Why use a 3D printer that limits you to plastic?

For $2499 at Woodcraft, you can get a woodworking CNC machine that includes design software. Just add a $150 Porter Cable palm router and you are good to go. With XYZ travel of 12 x 24 x 4, you can easily build custom guitar bodies and necks.
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

acousticglue

Glad to see this as I thought Sayid might not be doing anything after Lost.

Seriously this is really cool. Neck and pickups are largest factor in a guitar anyway. Guy plays really well too.