VGuitar Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fishman TriplePlay FC-1 Floor Controller (User Experience)  (Read 17212 times)

FishmanSQA

Re: Fishman TriplePlay FC-1 Floor Controller (User Experience)
« Reply #300 on: February 20, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »

Well-   my ' Force Firmware Update ' repeatedly fails.   Halts at 49%-  halts at 5%-   then gives Error Code 4500000

My details via FishTP;

Date/Time: 20 Feb 2017 2:50pm
Computer name: XXXXXXXX
Computer speed: 2285MHz
Computer cpu vendor: GenuineIntel
Computer num cpus: 8
Computer os: Windows 7
Computer memory: 16281MB
TriplePlay app version: 1.4.50
App number of bits: 32
Patch caches: 4
Controller version: 2.31
Receiver version: 1.85

Serial Number:  xxxxxxxxxxxx
Controller Radio Channel: -1
Receiver Radio Channel: 58

Hi Colan-

If you are using TP v 1.4.50, then you have the correct version firmware. ( 2.31/1.85). So there is no need to force an update.

Best,
Sara

colan

« Reply #301 on: February 20, 2017, 10:51:18 AM »

Thank you, Sara.  I'm being over-cautious, perhaps, before attempting to use the FC-1.   The ' Firmware Update Failed ' message is a tad unsettling .
Regards.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:41:09 PM by colan »

Eastwood

« Reply #302 on: March 09, 2017, 11:56:52 AM »

Hi so sorry if this is off topic but anyways.. can someone tell me where I can find list of all midi CC# and PC's that the FC-1 uses. A midi map I guess.. thing is  I just got a FC-1 but I'm toying with the idea of using my regular midi guitar controller a Boss ES-8 to send CC# and PC to the FC-1 and thus sending the same from the FC-1 to a Roland Integra 7.. not even sure this is possible but I'd like to give it a go. Would kind of make life a little easier maybe in a live rig to just have to stomp on one pedal to change patches on both guitar effects and midi synth patches.. thanks in advance Eastwood

colan

« Reply #303 on: March 11, 2017, 09:56:33 AM »

I read in the FTP section that the GR20 could be used with the Fishman Tripleplay FC-1 foot controller -  but I can't get mine to function.

The FC-1 will move through the GR20s patches but I can't see how to play the FTP MIDI patches stored on the guitar wifi pickup.

Has anybody successfully paired this kit ?   Some set-up advice would be welcomed.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:00:44 PM by admsustainiac »

Elantric

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: 394
    • Elantric's Tips and Blog
« Reply #304 on: March 11, 2017, 01:31:58 PM »

GR-33 works great  with FTP - ( FTP Triggers the GR-33 sounds)

GR-20 I have zero experience with - it was far too lean and striped of user controls and less useful than a GR-30/ GR-33 

but apparently its possible
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20348.0

I can't see how to play the FTP MIDI patches stored on the guitar wifi pickup.

You can't - instead, you play a Guitar with FTP, and use the FC-1 's USB Host to MIDi conversion technology to covert the FTP USB wireless receiver  dongle transmit MIDI Note on / off, Pitch bend  messages to the FC-1's 5 pin MIDI Output to trigger third party hardware synths - in your case the the GR-20 sounds -and use the FC-1 foot switches to toggle up and down thru through the Roland GR-20 patches

You will not get any different sounds

read

Fishman TriplePlay FC-1 Floor Controller (User Experience)
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13447.0
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 04:11:10 PM by Elantric »

colan

« Reply #305 on: March 11, 2017, 02:08:20 PM »

That's not what I want to do.  I can already do that with the Roland GK3 pickup.
I want to play the FTP patches without a computer.

If the Roland GR20 isn't a suitable MIDI inteface to do that then what is ?   Fishman gives no clues.

Elantric

• Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: March 11, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »

That's not what I want to do.  I can already do that with the Roland GK3 pickup.

Not wirelessly

I want to play the FTP patches without a computer.

good luck

You need to describe and explain your concept of ""FTP MIDI patches"

again - Fishman has provided a  great Guitar to MIDI controller  - and a software bundle ( Native Instruments, IK Multimedia )   that requires a Mac or PC to make those  Native Instruments, IK Multimedia sounds   

But there are zero hardware sound engine provided even with a FC-1  - thus my confusion for what you mean by "FTP MIDI patches" ??

And shows a basic fundamental  confusion on what the Tripleplay  does and does not do

The basic functions of the FC-1 are:

* Provide a USB Host to 5 pin MIDI Interface for the Tripelplay wireless USB  dongle - so you can trigger your favorite third party 5 pin MIDI hardware synth with your guitar

* Provide some foot control,and expression pedal control for your computer running the FTP app and triggering soft synths

At NAMM , Fishman demonstrated triggering a Waldorf Blofeld with the  Tripleplay / FC-1

Again the resulting sounds were from the stock Blofeld presets - not ""FTP MIDI patches"

The Tripleplay + FC-1 makes no sounds on its own.

If the Roland GR20 isn't a suitable MIDI inteface to do that then what is ? 
Technically in this discussion, the GR-20 will be your "MIDI Tone Module" or Hardware synth.
Read

Building a FTP rig
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13064.0

Triple Play with Hardware Synth Is AWESOME
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13675.msg100318#msg100318

Vade's Synth, MIDI Build Questions ( Vade's' BLOG
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10117.0
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 04:16:01 PM by Elantric »

colan

« Reply #307 on: March 11, 2017, 02:44:28 PM »

Not wirelessly, no.   I don't want to play the GR20 wirelessly .  I'm happy playing it with a different guitar using the GK3.

What I'm attempting to do is to use my FTP pickup guitar to play the FTP patches using the FC-1 controller instead of my laptop.   Fishman go to great lengths in announcing this breakthrough-  but give scant little information as to how it's done.

The pdfs lead me to believe that the patches are converted to ' hardware patches ' inside the FTP software-  which I've succeeded in doing and that the hardware patches are then uploaded to the guitar controller and can then be displayed on the FC-1 by means of the WiFi receiver link.  I've got that far-  but how to play them through my amp remains a mystery.
I thought that perhaps the FC-1 patches would somehow over-ride the GR20's internal output and enable me to use the GR20 as a MIDI interface between my guitar and amp.   AS you say-  that can't be done.   So how's it done ?   
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 02:46:23 PM by colan »

Elantric

• Global Moderator
« Reply #308 on: March 11, 2017, 02:49:11 PM »

I thought that perhaps the FC-1 patches would somehow over-ride the GR20's internal output and enable me to use the GR20 as a MIDI interface between my guitar and amp.   AS you say-  that can't be done.   So how's it done ?   

Apparently its not

You must accept and use the GR-20 sounds
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 04:17:14 PM by Elantric »

colan

« Reply #309 on: March 11, 2017, 02:52:26 PM »

You mean I've shelled out over three hundred bucks for a footswitch ?    I can't believe it.
What would be the point of loading the controller with FTP ' hardware patches ' at all ? 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 02:54:57 PM by colan »

Elantric

• Global Moderator
« Reply #310 on: March 11, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »

do research first

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18605.0

The FC-1 does not store sounds.  It helps you play your FTP with a 5 pin MIDI Hardware synthesizer. 

If you want to go without a computer, you want to use the FC-1 to drive a third party hardware synth, like a Blofeld , Korg Microstation, SC-55 Sound canvas(or any one of a thousand other synths).  What synth do you plan on using besides your old GR-20?

You mean I've shelled out over three hundred bucks for a footswitch ?    I can't believe it.
$199 here
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TripleplayFC1?adpos=1t1&creative=184490690778&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CI_zwpOrz9ICFYYDaQod_p4Kxg

Leave your computer off the stage with the Fishman TriplePlay FC-1 Floor Controller. With its USB host, multi-function footswitches, and MIDI I/O you can connect your sound modules and synths directly.

Triple Play with Hardware Synths
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13675.msg100318#msg100318
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 04:18:14 PM by Elantric »

colan

« Reply #311 on: March 11, 2017, 03:00:59 PM »

Yes, I'm aware that the FC-1 does not ' store sounds '.    The Fishman literature leads its readers to believe that the ' hardware patches ' ( one expects these to be patches playable by hardware )  are uploaded to the FTP guitar controller and can then be played onstage without a laptop.  Nowhere does it state that this is not possible and that the FC-1 only triggers MIDI in FTP-unrelated hardware.
What would the FTP hardware patch upload be for ?

Elantric

• Global Moderator
« Reply #312 on: March 11, 2017, 03:04:06 PM »

What would the FTP hardware patch upload be for ?

to store various string splits, transposed tuning setup info and map your desired settings into memory slots - a.k.a. "FTP MIDI patches"

I'm an advocate for diving into the history library  - if you want to be informed and understand and warp your brain on the concepts of  new piece of gear  - read the docs from the prior efforts of the same engineering  team. 

Must read is the Axon AX-100 User manual  - Axon was Andras Szalays prior Guitar to MIDI effort

http://terratec.ultron.info/AXON/AXON_AX_100_MKII/Manuals/AXON_AX_100_MKII_Manual_EN_2.0.pdf

Also important read:  Important FTP documents our admin ShawnB created for Fishman Tripleplay

download them here
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=28

FTP Hardware MODE
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9625.msg69058#msg69058

FTP MIDI Implementation
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13653.0
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 04:23:23 PM by Elantric »

colan

« Reply #313 on: March 11, 2017, 03:09:40 PM »

So they're called ' hardware patches ' for why ?    For the pleasure of loading the controller with them and then downloading them back to the FTP software ? 

Elantric

• Global Moderator
« Reply #314 on: March 11, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »

So they're called ' hardware patches ' for why ?
to store various string splits, transposed tuning setup info and map your desired settings into memory slots - a.k.a. "FTP MIDI patches"
to control third party Synth hardware boxes  / Keyboards with 5 pin MID input

Read Shawnb"s FTP Hardware mode thread
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9625.msg69058#msg69058
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 04:23:35 PM by Elantric »

colan

« Reply #315 on: March 11, 2017, 03:28:15 PM »

The ' hardware patches ' control third party synths  ?  Didn't you just tell me that the FC-1 is just a footswitch and that the guitar controller is just used to store modified patches outside of the FTP software ?  This isn't making sense.

Shawnb"s FTP Hardware mode thread -  of course-  goes right over my head and doesn't instil me with any confidence whatsoever.   I'm a guitarist/ consumer -  and I feel that I've been mislead.   I'm clearly on the wrong forum for useful practical advice and I'll give Fishman a fair go before trying to get my money back.  I'll stop short of calling the FC-1 a ' scam ' simply because the FTP concept and software are so good-   but I'm far from happy.

Thanks for your help with other matters.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 05:03:52 PM by colan »

Elantric

• Global Moderator
« Reply #316 on: March 11, 2017, 03:53:45 PM »

Thanks for summing up the typical  MIDI guitar experience.

Didn't you just tell me that the FC-1 is just a footswitch
Its a small  computer
The basic functions of the FC-1 are:

* Provide a USB Host to 5 pin MIDI Interface for the Tripelplay wireless USB  dongle - so you can trigger your favorite third party 5 pin MIDI hardware synth with your guitar

* Provide some User LCD Display , foot controls, and expression pedal jack control for your computer running the FTP app and triggering soft synths

Learn about other  USB Host to 5 pin MIDI  I/O adapters
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15763.0

Its not "plug & play" , requires  discipline and passion for unique sonic expression  - but even the top artists I run into hire a tech to gather the "gear dujour" and accomplish their goals. 

Fishman has raised the bar with a significant breakthrough - but there are hurdles 

But know this thread will help others.

a year ago a similar situation occurred,

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13447.msg135393#msg135393

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:52:12 AM by admsustainiac »

colan

« Reply #317 on: March 11, 2017, 07:08:35 PM »

The FC-1 is, demonstrably, presented as a means of live performing the FTP patches without an onstage computer.  It isn't a matter of misunderstanding or stupidity on the part of working stiffs.  It's a misrepresentation -  and I find that quite shameful.   Honest musicians should avoid  shelling out for what is essentially a glorified footswitch.

Elantric

• Global Moderator
« Reply #318 on: March 11, 2017, 08:57:35 PM »

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TripleplayFC1?adpos=1t1&creative=184490690778&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CI_zwpOrz9ICFYYDaQod_p4Kxg

I do agree the marketing verbiage at Sweetwater link to  FC-1 stating :

"Leave your computer off the stage with the Fishman TriplePlay FC-1 Floor Controller."

"All-in-one foot controller for your Fishman TriplePlay MIDI pickup"

Is a bit misleading ,  and a newbie might omit believing the FC-1 need for a separate hardware MIDI Synth or Laptop 

FC-1 owners manuals are here:

https://www.fishman.com/products/series/tripleplay/tripleplay-fc-1-controller/
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TriplePlay_FC-1_User_Guide.pdf
When using FC-1 as a stand-alone MIDI controller (not connected via USB), MIDI information generated
by the TriplePlay Controller and the FC-1 is passed via these connectors.

Should read

"When using FC-1 as a stand-alone MIDI controller (not connected via USB), MIDI information generated
by the TriplePlay Controller and the FC-1 is passed ( to your MIDI hardware synth ) via these connectors."

And FC-1 owners manual is a bit vague on specific details , because there are 30 years worth of possible MIDI Synths  / Tone Modules out there and it would be impossible to cover how to program the FTP/FC-1 for everyone of those hardware synths.

Big list is here:

External multi-voice hardware Tone Generators for MIDI Guitarists
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=915.msg46894#msg46894

Myself I typically just connect the FTP wireless dongle to an iPad + CCK and trigger an occasional organ or synth string pad for backing
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 02:07:15 AM by Elantric »

HCarlH

« Reply #319 on: March 15, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »

I honestly don't see the confusion. It's sold as a controller.....not a tone generator.
There is absolutely nothing about it containing its own sounds. It says in the description you need sound modules and synths.

"Fishman TriplePlay FC-1 Floor Controller. With its USB host, multi-function footswitches, and MIDI I/O you can connect your sound modules and synths directly. The three footswitches let you step through TriplePlay patches and change presets on your MIDI devices."
GR-55 + Kemper Profiling Rack / FCB1010 MIDI controller  -->>  QSC K10 -->> FOH
Fishman Tripleplay
Fender Squier Stratocaster Bullet (w/GK3), Ibanez AM93 (w/GK2) Gibson Les Paul, PV Wolfgang, Stratocasters, Telecaster, Charvel SoCal ProMod.

colan

« Reply #320 on: March 16, 2017, 03:29:55 PM »

I honestly don't see the confusion. It's sold as a controller.....not a tone generator.

You've  misunderstood the complaint.  The impression given by the product description is that it permits a guitarist to play the FTP patches from his guitar controller through his amplifier via the FC-1-  without using a laptop onstage.  i.e;
"The three footswitches let you step through TriplePlay patches "
It SHOULD state " on your computer ".   It doesn't.  If it did then the phrase " without using your laptop onstage "  would be less deceptive.
It's the FTP patches which are of interest-  not controlling existing third-party hardware patches by means of a three-hundred buck foot pedal.
If you weren't misled by the sales pitch then good for you.  I wish I could say the same.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:37:19 PM by colan »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up

Blog