GP-10 - How do I assign multiple changes by activating control 1 (or 2,3 or 4)

Started by homeby5, January 08, 2015, 07:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homeby5

OK.....I think I have figured something out. Please read and enlighten me if I am understanding correctly.
It appears that if I assign a function to CTRL 1 (such as 12 string) under the CTRL/GK/EXP heading (button..whatever...) then it disables the user from assigning any other function to that control (CTRL 1). In order for CTRL 1 to start working with assigns I had to go to the CTRL/GK/EXP heading and under the "system function" select "patch settings" to the CTRL 1. Once I did this, my assigns started working but no LED indicator. So I then had to go back to CTRL/GK/EXP "Patch Function" and select LED ON/OFF. Whew...AFAIK, none of this was covered in any manual and it seems to me that this is an important procedure guideline that would have been spelled out clearly but whatever.....at least I am beginning to get the hang of it.
Now....I have another question but I will start another thread so not to get confusing.
Thanks to everyone for their time and effort. It helped a lot :)
I also am not ignoring posting screenshots.....I just can't figure out how to do it. I have my screenshots as a PNG file (yes...it is small enough) and I have uploaded them under the "manage attachments" section. I just don't see the button to insert them in my post...

Elantric

As mentioned in the Forum fAQ

I upload my pics to a free photo sharing service

www.snapagogo.com

Then right click the pic from snapagogo, copy the URL and insert mid post using the SMF forum image insert command

[i m g ] http://insertimage.png [/ i m g ]

homeby5

Hey guys...this is kind of a follow up to my previous thread.

I have a question of how to turn on and off the "12 string" and "ALT tuning" feature using CTRL 1. I have assigned them exactly the same but when I activate the "12 string" my "Alt Tuning" turns off. I have swapped the "Target Min" and Target Max" around but this does nothing. Any ideas.

homeby5

Quote from: Elantric on January 11, 2015, 12:52:25 PM
As mentioned in the Forum fAQ

I upload my pics to a free photo sharing service

www.snapagogo.com

Then right click the pic from snapagogo, and insert the SMF forum image insert command

[i m g ] http://insertimage.png [/ i m g ]
I have read and understand this....but I am asking how to use the attachment feature on this forumwithout having to use a third party. Suppose I want to attach other files such as .tsl's

Elantric

You have already successfully uploaded a photo Here:
Just Repeat what you did

Elantric

homeby5

Quote from: Elantric on January 11, 2015, 01:29:19 PM
You have already successfully uploaded a photo Here:
Just Repeat what you did

I wasn't aware that the image was attached to that post. When I went to the "post preview" it didn't show the attachment so I figured it didn't work. Thanks :)

homeby5

Here is my file if anyone would be so kind as to offer some advice :)

supernicd

You are getting the hang of this.  To get this to work, just turn them both on or off to start with.  In other words, when you first load this patch, click on the red LED by 12-String to activate it, so that both that and ALT TUNE are turned on, then re-write the patch.  Then they'll turn on and off together when you press CTRL 1.

I think what you might be confused about is that you're thinking CTRL 1 has some definite on or off state and that the FX being enabled or disabled follow that state.  It doesn't really, though the LED gives it the appearance that it does (and we use it that way to have a visual clue what's happening with our patch).  You're just toggling the state of 12-String and ALT tuning off and on with it, and at the moment only one of those happens to coincide with the LED turning on (which you set up in CTL/GK/EXP).  The way your patch is set up right now, you're switching between them.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

supernicd

Quote from: homeby5 on January 11, 2015, 12:43:29 PM
OK.....I think I have figured something out. Please read and enlighten me if I am understanding correctly.
It appears that if I assign a function to CTRL 1 (such as 12 string) under the CTRL/GK/EXP heading (button..whatever...) then it disables the user from assigning any other function to that control (CTRL 1). In order for CTRL 1 to start working with assigns I had to go to the CTRL/GK/EXP heading and under the "system function" select "patch settings" to the CTRL 1.

Yes, I believe you'll need to have any controller set to "Patch Setting" in order for it to be used in an assign.

QuoteOnce I did this, my assigns started working but no LED indicator. So I then had to go back to CTRL/GK/EXP "Patch Function" and select LED ON/OFF. Whew...AFAIK, none of this was covered in any manual and it seems to me that this is an important procedure guideline that would have been spelled out clearly but whatever.....at least I am beginning to get the hang of it.

Excellent!  Yes, assigns don't turn the LED on or off.  That's why there's a function for that in the CTRL/GK/EXP area.  I don't know how others set up their controllers, but most of the time, I'll set up my first "assignment" in the CTRL/GK/EXP area rather than going straight to ASSIGNs.  In other words, if possible, rather than choosing LED ON/OFF here, I'll chose the first thing I want it do do.  E.g. ALT TUNING ON/OFF.  Setting it there in the patch setting in CTRL/GK/EXP WILL turn the LED on and off in addition to turning ALT TUNING (or whatever you chose) on and off.  Once in a while, you're setting up some really crazy thing, and none of the basic choices in CTRL/GK/EXP apply as the first thing you want CTRL 1 to do.  That's when LED ON/OFF is useful.  The 8 assigns can be used in ADDITION to your Patch Settings in the CTRL/GK/EXP area.

Agree - the Boss GP-10 manual appears to be written for someone who has used Roland/Boss processors before.  It's very terse.  Pretty handy for those of us who have been at this a while.  Not so good for a brand new user. :) Use the links Elantric provided.  You'll get a ton more insight into this, and probably quite a few other goodies too.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

homeby5

Ok....I figured it out and once again, it's confusing as hell. The assigns give you the option to select the "ALT TUNING" or "12 String"as the Target Category BUT when you push the "MODELING" button at the top of the GP-10 editor you access the ability to manually turn "on" or "off" each of the 3 modeling features (12 string, ALT tuning, and String Bend). This causes the "target min" and target max" under the assign function to be useless (or at least reverses the flip flop action that is designed). So as an example....let's say that under the modeling editor you have the "ALT Tuning" and "Bend" selected "on" but the "12 String" selected off. When you set the assigns to enable your CTRL to turn on or off the "12 string" all it does is reverse the existing condition.....no matter how you set the "target min" or "target max". So the result is that there is no way to turn on or off the "12 string" and the "Alt tuning" at the same time (at least I can't figure it out but I could be wrong). In order for me to accomplish this goal, I had to go under the "modeling" editor and set both the "12 String" and "Alt tuning" to both be on or off.

Now is this no big deal? Of course not, but as a new user, new product and hardly no instruction manual.....this is very frustrating and I could see how the frustration would cause somebody to possibly send the unit back. I was getting close to just sending it back and getting a Line 6 or something, but thankfully you guys (and dumb luck) have enlightened me. I mean...c'mon, without the help of those on this forum, it's not very friendly to newbies...like myself. Are we really expected to download manuals from other models to get an understanding of the user interface operations? So far I have attempted to set up two patches to my liking and I have already experienced two "bugs"....this one and the one about CTRL's not working if they are assigned under the CTL/GK/EXP "system function" to any selection EXCEPT "Patch Settings". How are we supposed to know this?

Don't get me wrong....I believe this is a keeper. I LOVE the features, sounds, etc....and I know I will get used to the interface and one day may actually be able to contribute here instead of just take from you guys. The interface offers amazing user controls so I apologize for ranting. I only wish the instruction manual would have been more clear. It makes no sense to offer a product that could send someone to the moon but only provide instructions for getting them to the corner store and back...

Elantric

GR-55 and GP-10 Owners Manuals simply list all the various FX functions and Control Features, but totally omit any explanation or examples of how to actually use these controls or how they interact.

Its tough going  - until you read these Crucial  docs below

Roland / Boss VG/GT/GR gear has implemented Control Assigns for 25 years

To get the most from the latest Roland gear - Learn how to use those Control concepts from the start by reading the numerous user created docs for the earlier Roland units here:

Roland COSM Reference Library
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0

homeby5

supernicd

Not sure what to say about your rant.  What you encountered weren't bugs.  It was designed to work that way.  Once you fully wrap your head around it, it makes sense and work well.  All Roland manuals leave something to be desired, including their manuals for their keyboards, V-Drums, etc.  It's not their strong suit, nor is marketing, IMO. :)  They do make some killer products though.

Luckily, you've found the club where you can learn everything you ever wanted to know and more, and you will have a real secret weapon in your music arsenal that most don't.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

homeby5

Quote from: SuperNiCd on January 11, 2015, 03:10:58 PM
Not sure what to say about your rant.  What you encountered weren't bugs.  It was designed to work that way.  Once you fully wrap your head around it, it makes sense and work well.  All Roland manuals leave something to be desired, including their manuals for their keyboards, V-Drums, etc.  It's not their strong suit, nor is marketing, IMO. :)  They do make some killer products though.

Luckily, you've found the club where you can learn everything you ever wanted to know and more, and you will have a real secret weapon in your music arsenal that most don't.
I know they aren't bugs....hence the quotation marks. I phrased it that way because of the labeling.
I also love Roland products...I've also owned their V10 and V20 drumkits.

Toby Krebs

assigns are just virtual switches.
turn them on and turn them off.
8 at a time on most Boss Roland guitar processors

homeby5

I mentioned earlier that the assigns do not work if they are linked by a CTRL and that same CTRL is linked under the CTR/GK/EXP section (the system area). Is that correct?

BTW, I was reading a thread here and someone mentioned the SOLDANO Amp and how nice it sounded. Well...I'll echo that! I quickly tested that late last night and I believe that this will be used a lot  ;D

supernicd

As long as you have the CTRL set to "Patch Setting" in the CTRL/GK/EXP area, then you should be able to make an assignment to it there, and also add additional assignments to the same CTRL or EXP pedal in the ASSIGN area.  If you have it set to "System Setting" in the CTRL/GK/EXP area, then I believe you are correct, you cannot make additional assigns in the ASSIGN area.

Setting anything to System in the CTRL/GK/EXP area is a way to get it to work the same way with all patches.  E.g. CTRL 2 will ALWAYS turn delay on/off on every patch, no matter what the patch settings and assigns say.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

homeby5

Quote from: SuperNiCd on January 12, 2015, 05:29:03 AM
As long as you have the CTRL set to "Patch Setting" in the CTRL/GK/EXP area, then you should be able to make an assignment to it there, and also add additional assignments to the same CTRL or EXP pedal in the ASSIGN area.  If you have it set to "System Setting" in the CTRL/GK/EXP area, then I believe you are correct, you cannot make additional assigns in the ASSIGN area.

Setting anything to System in the CTRL/GK/EXP area is a way to get it to work the same way with all patches.  E.g. CTRL 2 will ALWAYS turn delay on/off on every patch, no matter what the patch settings and assigns say.
Yes....that solved my initial "problem" as why my assigns were not working. I stumbled across it.
Ok....so if I understand correctly, the System in the CTRL/GK/EXP area is kind of like a "global" setting that negates everything else and affects all the patches? Hmmm....
Thanks again and pretty soon I'll be just smart enough to be dangerous  ;D

Elantric

Boss GP-10 FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11796.msg85343#msg85343
Boss GP-10 Owners Manual Tips:
* By default, the [CTL 1] and [CTL 2] pedals control a function that's assigned by each patch.
* You are free to assign the pedals to other functions if you like.

"Pedal and Switch Settings for Each Patch (Ctl: )" (p. 11),

For each patch, you can individually specify the functions that are assigned to the [CTL 1], [CTL2]
pedals and the expression pedals.
If you want these pedals to always have the same function regardless of the patch, you can specify
this using the system setting "Sys: Controller" (p. 13).

* This is available if the Sys: Controller (p. 13) is set to "PATCH SETTING."

"System Settings for the Pedals and Switches (SysCtl: )" (p. 13)

Specifies the functions that are assigned to the [CTL 1], [CTL 2] pedals and the expression pedal.
With the factory settings, "PATCH SETTING" is selected; each pedal is assigned the most suitable
function for that patch. If you want the pedals to operate in the same way regardless of which patch
is selected, choose something other than "PATCH SETTING."

GP-10 assign  [toggle] + FS-6  [Latch] = double latching, pedal requires 2 presses to do one function (effect on/off)
GP-10 assign  [toggle] + FS-6  [Moment] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led only lights while held down
GP-10 assign  [moment] + FS-6  [moment] = effect only on while pedal held down, pedal led only on while held down
GP-10 assign  [moment] + FS-6  [Latch] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led toggles with effect status