GR-55 - Steely Dan's Black Cow video with drums from GR55 & utilizing looper

Started by viramundo, October 03, 2014, 04:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viramundo

Quote from: Dream_Theory on April 29, 2015, 11:16:13 AM
Yeah, you are grabbing some fat chords there (I see that pinky at work). Any chance you would give us a list of tabs?

It's been a while since I did this, so I can't remember exactly what I did but I think it was based on these changes (I'm sure you can find tabs for the chords somewhere that will suit your style).
PDF file attaached

IMO you don't need to be too obssesive & faithful to the original voicings, just enough to sound good to your own ears & playing style.

DreamTheory

Many thanks for the tabs and the video. I would definitely enjoy a set of your music live.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Autana

Great job Paul!  one point more to my craze for Steely Dan, nice bass chording work, guitar and vocals. That drum loop debunks the whispering about sloppy groove playing  with MIDI guitars :)     
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Kilgore

Autana

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

WalterM817

Haxer

AMP: B52 AT-100 - GUITARS: Dearmond M65, Epiphone Special, 58 Gibson Korina, Hammer T5M - EFFECTS: Roland Gr-55, Line 6 POD XT Live, Digitech GNX1, Digitech RP150, Adrenalinn III- FAVORITE BANDS: Nine Lashes, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Motionless In White, All That Remains And A lot More!

aliensporebomb

Now that was great!  One of my favorite albums too!  I love the 335 lead sound too!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

viramundo

Quote from: Autana on November 04, 2015, 08:00:01 PM
Great job Paul!  one point more to my craze for Steely Dan, nice bass chording work, guitar and vocals. That drum loop debunks the whispering about sloppy groove playing  with MIDI guitars :)   

That wasn't the 1st take I can assure you. I had to start again many times before I got that simple drum groove right.

It can be done but you've got to be incredibly careful to not false trigger when playing drum sounds on the GR55 in my experience. Also playing & editing the drum patch to play on the top strings helps with the latency. Thin strings are another help too.

I've never had the nerve to make a drum loop like that in a gig situation in front of a live audience, it's too hit & miss. When I play that number I tend to play it without the drum loop & it's still ok because of the full nature of the main patch with the bass sounds on the 5th & 6th strings.

It's a lot easier using a proper loop pedal too as the one on the GR55 is very unforgiving but I did it in the video to show what is possible all on the GR55 (in an ideal world). The very short loop time available on the GR55 is why I chose that to loop & not the extra changes that are on the original version where the fantastic keys solo is.

I love my GR55, I've put in so much time & effort to try & master the editing & set up to suit my instrument & I use it all the time in performances & even in studio recordings but I'm amazed that in all the time since it was released there is still no better guitar synth out there.

But there are so many things that drive me mad.
The latency & false triggering issues are a real pain on some sounds especially if you're playing stuff at fast tempos.

whippinpost91850

Paul, I don't do solo or looper, but I must say that this is truly inspiring