VG-99 - Looking to buy some custom made 80s new wave patches

Started by slis, August 14, 2014, 10:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slis

Hi all-

I'm looking for someone who's great at matching tones from songs, specifically new wave 80s stuff (duran duran, flock of seagulls, the Fixx, etc). I'm in a new wave cover band and we try our best to match exactly the tone and effects used in original recordings. I'm good on my synth stuff, but me and the guitarist aren't great when it comes to guitar effects.

I'm looking for someone who can create patches for specific song parts (only need the one or two per songs that guitarist is actually playing live) for our VG-99.

I'd like to pay $10 per song via paypal. I need 10 within next two weeks, but another 40-50 after that over time. So this could be a $500 project for someone who's good.

Please contact me at brett.bretterson @ gmail.com if interested (remove spaces)

Thanks!

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group slis!  :)

Advise review all VG-99 patches that already exist in this area

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=35.0

aliensporebomb

It would help to know specific songs so I can hear the sounds to see if it's realistic to accomplish..

The Fixx:  Jamie West Oram's trademark clean guitar tones: he used the MXR stereo chorus thru clean Marshall amps - so just clean tone compression and chorus and that's pretty much his deal on a brown schecter strat clone with active single coils (he's been using regular strats in recent years). 

Flock of Seagulls Paul Reynolds the guitarist was using a similar setup: clean tone, compression and chorus with some delay and I know for a fact on the reunion tour where he came back to the band for a while he was using two Roland JC-120 amps (because Reynolds' tech frequents a forum I'm on and actually has those Jazz chorus amps in his possession today).
Reynolds used guitars with humbuckers which gave the guitars more body than the brighter wiry sounds West-Oram got.  Reynolds trademark lead sound was an overdrive with the same setup.

I'm not as much as an expert on Duran Duran but if you listen to Rio the clean tones are similar to Reynolds setup and the single note lead guitar stuff is neck pickup with the tone rolled back with compression, chorus and delay although you could emulate this with an e-bow if you have one.

In all three bands cases the delay was timed to the rhythm of the song.  In the VG-99 you can set the delay to a BPM so for example 8th notes at 120 bpm.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

slis

Hi guys!

That makes sense.

Here's the list

Metro - Berlin
Don't Change - INXS
Rio - Duran Duran
Girls on Film - Duran Duran
Eyes Without A Face - Billy Idol
Shout - Tears for Fears
Saved by Zero- the Fixx
Drive - the cars
Kids in America - Kim Wilde
I Ran - Flock of Seagulls
I Got You - Split Enz
Rock the Casbah - the Clash
Space Age Lovesong - Flock of Seagulls
Major Tom- Peter Schilling
Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode
Hungry like the Wolf - Duran Duran
Just Like Heaven - The Cure
Melt with You - Modern English
Thieves Like US - New Order
Walking in LA - Missing Persons
One Thing Lead to Another - the Fixx
Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears
Voices Carry - 'Til Tuesday
Blue Monday - New Order
Modern Love - Bowie
Der Komissar - After the Fire
Cities in Dust - Siouxsie and the Banshees
Turning Japanese - the Vapors
Don't You Forget About me - Simple Minds
Talking in Your Sleep  - The Romantics
Whip It - Devo
Jenny - Tommy Tuo-tone
Do you wanna hold Me - Bow wow wow
Red Skies - the Fixx
Who Can It Be Now - Men At Work
Goody Two Shoes - Adam Ant
New Sensation - INXS
True Faith - New Order

+ plus more, just going off ones i can remember so far. but should give good idea.

I have BPMs on all my tracks so i can edit the bpm afterwards to match my tracks.

Smash

I've always found it difficult to get an acceptably heavy compressed strat sound from the VG99. I don't rate the blue boss compressor emulation as it just doesn't seem to squeeze enough. You can get round this to a certain extent by hottening up the guitar level going in via the EQ.

Anyway Saved by Zero has exactly that heavily compressed sound I always find difficult to get so I thought I'd have a go at it!!

So we have compressed modern strat going into JC bit of EQ, stereo chorus which is set with low rate to get a slightly phasery sound and then a limiter to beef it and squash it some more. This is the picked sound.

Then FC300 Expression pedal 1 bring in the 2x2 chorus for really deep stereo for the fill chords. It also brings in some verb and delay for a bit of space. You can hear me fade the Exp1 in and out at the end so you get a better idea of what's happening. I deliberately didn't go with a CTRL switch because it's a bit brutal.

It sounds like this:

https://soundcloud.com/smashmashups/saved-by-zero-vg99-patch

Any good to you?  ;)

Actually should've asked - do you use GK3 and FC300?

aliensporebomb

Bravo - I haven't had time to mess with this at all with the fam preparing for a big garage sale next weekend but you did a bang up job.  Now I need to see if I can get some of the other sounds....
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

slis

That's cool!

We have a FC-300 but no GK-3. Is the GK-3 needed?

HAMERMAN409

Smash

@Slis - I use GK3 exclusively - it should sound fine on mag pickups but I can't guarantee. Strat with bridge and mid p/up

Can email it to you as try before you buy if you want...

slis

Definitely send it my way. Having rehearsal tonight and we'll give it a try.

Smash

I did email you the other day but no response - I have sent the .mid via email

slis

Got it. Right after rehearsal :) Will give it a try on friday's rehearsal. Thanks!

Smash

Free upgrade just sent - patch now covers Saved by Zero and One thing Leads to Another plus dirty solo mode  ;)