GP-10 BOSS TONE STUDIO HELP

Started by jassy, July 16, 2014, 05:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

Did your install of Adobe Air get updated,
as the one supplied with Tone Studio is not the latest.
I did notice if the auto update popup is ignored the first time, it never pops up for auto update again.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

drewfx1

Quote from:  Elantric on July 30, 2014, 10:07:15 AM
Curious the make ./ model of your Win8.1 machine?  (Is this your ASUS T100 ?)

No, this one is a Toshiba Satellite L875 with a nice big (now seemingly hard to find) 17" screen.

So I have a big, heavy one with a big screen and reasonable Core i3 CPU, and a little wimpy one with good battery life and a 10" touchscreen and detachable keyboard that's sort of doubles as either a tablet or a netbook.

Kevin M

I noticed something the other day...I was editing a patch and selected a different speaker type for the amp model. When I selected anything other than original the ability to customize the mic went away. By design? Can anyone else duplicate this feature/bug?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevin M

No issues with my Thinkpad w520 running Win 7.

Doc Plus

For now no issues with Win 7 or Win XP.

Rhcole

Thx for the Adobe Air update suggestions. Will check into that.

Elantric

QuoteThe Tone Studio can be a PIA when installing, make sure your virus protection on PC is disabled or allowing connection to the Boss website, if not reboot then allow, then start up Tone studio...That worked for me.
Adobe AIR is required to run Boss Tone Studio on Windows machines
Last weekend I was at a remote locations with poor internet - and I tried to install Boss GP-10 USB Driver and Boss Tone Studio on a small WinXP Netbook,

I thought this should go smoothly, as I already downloaded the files from Roland and had them on a USB stick.

The stumbler was midway through the Boss Tone Studio install, a message box popped up,
"Can not locate Adobe AIR - download latest version from Adobe.

And then I spent the next day and half trying to download the 17 MB file from Adobe, only to get 3/4 of the way done and then have the internet lock up - still have not gotten past this hurdle for the GP-10 Boss Tone Studio installation

I've been experiencing major problems simply installing Adobe AIR on my WinXP machine  -

I get message pop ups that state:

"An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator."

I'm pursuing the "FIX" recommended by Adobe here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/987262?tstart=0

Adobe wrote>
QuoteI'm sorry you're running into installation issues with AIR.  Microsoft has just released a new utility that can help resolve installation problems.  Would you mind giving this a try and let us know how it works for you?  When running the Fix it, go through the uninstall process and try to remove Adobe AIR from your system.  Once finished, download the latest version of AIR and install again.

Microsoft Install and Uninstall Fix It

If you still encounter problems, we'll need to review the AIR installer log to better diagnose the issue.  Please post back with the log contents.  You can find instructions for finding these logs here:

AIR Installer Log Instructions

Microsoft Install and Uninstall Fix It aka "Windows PowerShell 1.0"
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/en-us

AIR Installer Log Instructions
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403150.html#main_viewlog

Running "Microsoft Install and Uninstall Fix It" and targeting the Adobe AIR app, finally allowed me to uninstall my clobbered Adobe AIR installation.

Then I was able to successfully re-install Adobe Air with no Error messages.
http://get.adobe.com/air/

One thing to mention, clicking on the app launcher icon for the Adobe AIR installer, actually launched the installer twice. I had to close one "Install Adobe AIR" (click to quit) message box, then I waited 20 seconds and the Adobe AIR installation process finally began and fully installed without problems   

EDIT: And now I have finally successfully installed GP-10 Boss Tone Studio on my 2008 Windows XP Netbook!

Kevin M

I'm surprised folks are having problems with this on Windows. With a decent Internet connection, I was up and running inside 15 minutes and have had zero problems so far. Currently I'm using Tone Studios for  GP-10 and GT-001.

Jim Williams

I have had a strange issue with the GP-10 Tone studio editor. When editing the speaker cab settings all the controls are there and I change something like the direct level or cab size it seems to be fine. after that I change to play with the EQ for a bit then I go back to the cab page and the only controls visible are the cab size. I am using Windows 7 X64 Ultimate and I  would like to know if anyone else has had this happen and why? is this a bug that Roland is not aware of?
Thanks, Jimmy.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Elantric

QuoteWhen editing the speaker cab settings all the controls are there and I change something like the direct level or cab size it seems to be fine. after that I change to play with the EQ for a bit then I go back to the cab page and the only controls visible are the cab size. I am using Windows 7 X64 Ultimate and I  would like to know if anyone else has had this happen and why?

Not happening here on my Lenovo W520 I7 Win7 64Pro laptop running Boss Tone Studio for GP-10. (All is running fine)
(I typically prefer using my MacBook pro)
I do recommend use the full Editor screen for the fastest navigation and see  / change all GP-10 settings from one page in Boss Tone Studio Editor - see attached pic

BackDAWman

I'm using a Mac and sometimes the only settings displayed are the cab size. No mic settings.

Jerry K

So I created a "LiveSet" and dragged over 13 patches I had been working on.  The patches all had custom exp and vol settings.  I have turned almost everything under system settings in the CTL/GK/EXP view to "patch" and everything works as intended.  So my problem is once I created this "LiveSet", I exported it out as a file that could be saved.  I then tried importing it back and it dumped it into the GP-10 starting at patch 1 which is still all good.  The problem is that many of my custom "Exp" and "Ctl" settings went away, if I go into the "assign" view, many of them are gone in all of the patches I imported.  What step did I miss?

Thanks!

Elantric

INSTRUCTIONS FOR BOSS TONE STUDIO for GP-10 (July 2014 ) PDF
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=11879.0;attach=9641

To export patch data as a *.tsl file from BOSS TONE STUDIO for GP-10 (
1. Click to select the LiveSet to Export
2. Click Export button at the top of the screen.
3. The dialogue box appears. Input a file name and destination folder and click Save.
4. When the message Completed. appears, click OK to finish.
* tsl file is created in the folder set.

How to Upload Patches to VGuitarforums
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13341.0

mchad

In order to import or export any tsl file does the comp have to be connected to the internet and hence the Boss Tone Studio?

There are so many great patches here at vguitar forums that I hope they can be imported into a GP10 just with the editor and not being online.

Elantric

In order to import or export any tsl file does the comp have to be connected to the internet and hence the Boss Tone Studio?

The term "on-line" has several meanings

* You will need to be "online" with a live  Internet Connection to install the complete Boss Tone Studio for GP10  - as midway through the process, the Roland BTS installer needs to download Adobe AIR Runtime = and this aspect takes either 5 minutes ( or 15 minutes, or hours) depending on your internet service.

* You will need to be "online" with a live  Internet Connection for Boss Tone Studio for GP10  to access "Boss Tone Central" Artist patches for download

* No internet required, but you will need to be connected with a physical USB cable connection to genuine GP-10 before Boss Tone Studio for GP-10 application will  "launch" - the GP-10 USB driver must be installed for your OS, and the Boss GP -10 must be powered "on" and connected (via USB 2.0) to your computer.
** If an actual Boss GP-10 is not connected to your computer,  Boss Tone Studio will not run.
  -  this situation is often referred to as "Boss Tone Studio does not run "offline" - where "offline" refers to NO USB Connection to a physical Boss GP-10 

No internet connection is required if you have already downloaded a local copy of any GP-10 patch *.tsl file from our  VGuitarforums shared user to user patch exchange, and wish to install this patch from a local drive on your computer to your USB connected Boss GP-10 using Boss Tone Studio   

mchad

Thank you Elantric.

The vguitar user patches are terrific so I may not have to go near the BTS artist ones.

patafix

Hi !

Recent issue encountered with Tone Studio : It can't connect to my GP 10 anymore.

I checked, the device is detected by Windows.

This happened just after an Adobe Air update...

Elantric

QuoteThis happened just after an Adobe Air update...

Boss Tone Studio for GP-10 was created using a "Spring 2014" era build of Adobe AIR - try to revert back to the prior version of Adobe AIR

refer the to link
https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived-air-sdk-version.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/determine-version-air-runtime.html

My 2 cents - this situation of Boss Tone Studio dependence on Adobe AIR was depressing for me

(it parallels the past situation of Line 6 Editors circa 2006  dependence on specific builds of Java.)

Contact Roland/Boss asap and let them know they have a BTS support issue due to its reliance on specific builds of third party Adobe AIR.

Vade

Morning patafix;

I think Elantric brings up a good point. That said, Boss Tone Studio is working for me using the most recent version; Adobe Air 18.0.144. Reverting to the previous version of Adobe Air would be quick and easy but if that doesn't work then perhaps there's another explanation for the disconnect?

Did you happen to change the usb port that your GP-10 is connected to? The GP-10 driver is very sensitive to those sorts of changes and instability can result. I've found that it's best to select a permanent port for your GP-10 and then install the driver according to the instructions. Reinstalling the driver is a good way to try to re-establish your connection.

Try looking here for instructions...

C:\Program Files\RdDrv001\RDID0147\Readme\Readme_EN.htm

Where you'll find the following from Boss...

GP-10 Driver Ver.1.0.0 for Windows® 8/8.1

(Note)
In no event shall Roland Corporation ("Roland") be liable to end-users for any damages whatsoever, including but not limited to financial damages for loss of business profits or business information arising from the use of, or inability to use this product. The foregoing provision is effective even if Roland has been advised of the possibility of such damages.

* All files and other material contained in this folder are copyrighted by the Roland. Any alteration, modification, duplication, distribution, or reproduction of this material is prohibited. Additionally, Roland reserves the right to make changes to these programs and files without prior notice.

* Microsoft and Windows are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
* ASIO is a trademark and software of Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH.
* All product names mentioned in this document are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.

About this driver

This is the GP-10 driver for Microsoft® Windows® 8/8.1.
This driver also supports ASIO(Steinberg Audio Stream I/O Interface).
* For touch-enabled PCs, replace the word "click" in this document with "tap" when operating.

System requirements

This driver has the following requirements.
Operating SystemMicrosoft® Windows® 8/8.1 (64-bit Edition/32-bit Edition)
* This driver will not work on Windows RT.
ComputerWindows-compatible PC equipped with USB port
* Intel chipset is recommended.
* GP-10 may not perform to its full specs when used with an added USB 2.0 interface card.
* This product cannot be used with a USB 3.0 port that is not compatible with USB 2.0 specification.
* If this product does not work correctly when connected to a USB 3.0 port, you will need to connect it to a USB 2.0 port.
* Even if connected to a USB 3.0 port, the performance of the product will not change.

* This driver cannot be used in a virtual Windows environment, such as Hyper-V or Virtual PC.

* Mac computers running Microsoft Windows are not supported.

Cautions and Limitations
•Sound interruption or other less-than-perfect outcomes may be experienced if your computer's performance and specifications are somewhat inadequate. The types of applications you use and the way in which you use them can also influence the experience you receive.
•If the PC is started up while the GP-10 is still connected to the PC with its power turned on, the driver may not be loaded properly and you may not be able to use the GP-10. In such cases, connect the GP-10 to another USB port or turn on the power of GP-10 after the PC starts up.
•If the GP-10 does not work correctly after resuming from Sleep mode, you should exit all applications that use the GP-10, and then turn the power of the GP-10 off and on again.
•If the USB cable is disconnected and reconnected while the GP-10 is in use, or if the power of the GP-10 is turned off, then on again, it may stop operating correctly. If this occurs, after resuming, you should exit all applications that use the GP-10, and turn the power of the GP-10 off, then on again.
•If your computer was experiencing a heavy processing load, such as when accessing a CD-ROM Drive or network while the GP-10 was being used, the GP-10 may no longer operate correctly. If this occurs, stop the playback or recording, then try starting playback or recording over again. If you are still unable to play back or record, quit all programs that are using the GP-10, then turn the GP-10 off and then on again.
•Audio clicks and pops may occur during playback or recording if you connect or disconnect other USB devices (such as USB memory) or turn another USB device on/off while using the GP-10.
•In some cases, you may not obtain the expected level of performance if you're using a USB-connected hard disk at the same time as the GP-10. Do not use a USB-connected hard disk as the storage destination for the audio that you're playing back or recording.

Installation

* To reinstall or update the driver, refer to "To reinstall."
1.Start up Windows with all USB cables disconnected.
(except for keyboard and mouse)
2.Exit all applications before you begin the installation.
3.On the Start screen, click the Desktop.
4.Double-click the Setup icon.
* If a confirmation screen regarding Windows SmartScreen appears, click [Run anyway].

5.A confirmation screen regarding User Account Control will appear, click [Yes].
6.The message "GP-10 Driver will be installed on your computer. ---" will appear. Click [Next].
* If any other message appears, follow the directions of the message.

7.Click [Next] to begin installation.
8.If a dialog box regarding Windows Security appears, click [Install].
9.The message "Ready to install the driver. ---" will appear.
* If any other message appears, follow the directions of the message.

10.Use a USB cable to connect the GP-10 to your computer, then turn on the GP-10.
The driver will be installed automatically.
11.When the "Installation has been completed." message appears, installation has been completed.
Click [Close] to close the "Driver Setup" dialog box.
12.If the "System Settings Change" dialog box appears, click [Yes] to restart Windows.
13.Refer to "Before you begin," and make the necessary settings for using the GP-10. You won't be able to use the GP-10 unless you make these settings.
* If you are unable to use the GP-10 after connecting it, it's possible that a problem has occurred. Refer to "Troubleshooting."

Before you begin

Input/output device settings for your application

In order to obtain optimal performance from your applications, specify the input/output device for your applications as described below. (For details on making these settings, refer to the owner's manual for your application.)

* Ensure that the GP-10 and the application are set to the same sampling frequency. If the sampling frequency settings do not match, error messages may be displayed and recording/playback errors may occur.
* If you are unable to select the GP-10 device, a problem may have occurred. Refer to "Troubleshooting."

Audio input/output device

Of the total audio input/output channels provided by the GP-10, there are 8 INs and 8 OUTs
[WAVE OUT Devices]OUT (GP-10)GK 1-2 (GP-10)GK 3-4 (GP-10)GK 5-6 (GP-10)
* If you've specified a different name in the "Sound" settings of the Control Panel, the name you specified will be displayed.
[WAVE IN Devices]IN (GP-10)GK 1-2 (GP-10)GK 3-4 (GP-10)GK 5-6 (GP-10)
* If you've specified a different name in the "Sound" settings of the Control Panel, the name you specified will be displayed.
[ASIO device]When using the GP-10 with an ASIO-compatible application, select "GP-10" as the ASIO setting for your application.
* To prevent an audio feedback loop or double monitoring, make settings on your application to turn monitoring off.
* The GP-10 main unit does not support ASIO Direct Monitor, but if you use Cubase, by enabling Direct Monitoring in the Cubase setting, you can prevent loop oscillation of audio equipment and duplicate monitoring.
* When using the GP-10 with ASIO, we recommend that you set your application so that it does not use the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. (In order to decrease the load, and for convenience when changing Audio Buffer Size of the driver.)

MIDI input/output device

* In the Windows Media Player, the MIDI input/output device of GP-10 cannot be used.
Please select the following device in your MIDI compatible application.
[MIDI OUT devices]GP-10GP-10 DAW CTRL [MIDI IN devices]GP-10GP-10 DAW CTRL 
Setting the playback/recording device in Windows

Set GP-10 as the default device to allow its use in "Music" and Windows Media Player.
1.Open "Control Panel," click "Hardware and Sound," and then click "Sound."
* If the icon view is selected for the Control Panel, click "Sound."

2.In "Playback," right-click the device that you want to use for playback (such as the GP-10's "OUT"), and choose "Set as Default Device."
* If the above WAVE ports cannot be selected, a problem may have occurred. Refer to "Troubleshooting."

3.Similarly, in "Recording," right-click the device that you want to use for recording (such as the GP-10's "IN"), and choose "Set as Default Device."
* If the above WAVE ports cannot be selected, a problem may have occurred. Refer to "Troubleshooting."

4.Click [OK] to close "Sound."

To change the settings

To change or verify settings
1.When changing driver settings, always make sure to first quit all applications using the GP-10. This is unnecessary when only checking the settings.
* Exit not just Desktop applications but Windows Store Apps as well. Please wait for about 10 seconds until these applications exit completely.

* If the Windows monitoring function is enabled, it won't be possible to change the driver settings. Refer to "Could the Windows monitoring function be enabled?" and disable monitoring.

2. Open the Start screen or Apps view and click "GP-10."
* If the GP-10 does not exist in the Start screen or Apps view, open the "Control Panel," change the "View by:" setting to icons (Large icons or Small icons), and then click "GP-10."

3.The "GP-10 Driver Settings" dialog box will appear.
4.To modify the settings, make the changes and click [OK]. To simply check the settings, be sure to click [Cancel] after viewing the settings.
* For details on the setting items, refer to "About the items in the Settings dialog box."

About the items in the Settings dialog box
Audio Buffer SizeYou can adjust the audio input/output buffer size. (By default, this will be the sixth position from the left.)Decreasing the buffer size will shorten the latency and improve realtime performance, but might make it more likely that you will experience audio clicks and pops, depending on your computer's processing power and the song data load.
Increasing the buffer size will lengthen the latency, but will make audio streaming more stable, and it will be less likely for audio clicks and pops to occur.In general, you'll probably want to decrease the buffer size for better realtime performance if you're playing a software synthesizer in real time, or if you're monitoring an audio input that's being passed through your DAW software.
Conversely, you can increase the buffer size to prevent audio clicks and pops if you're recording or playing back song data that contains numerous tracks and presents a heavy processing load.By changing the buffer size as appropriate for your situation, you can obtain the right balance between realtime performance and audio streaming stability.
* Note!
If you use an application with an audio equipment test function, after changing the buffer size, carry out a test.
ASIO Buffer SizeThis is the minimum buffer size that can be set by the ASIO application.
* Depending on the application you're using, there may be other buffer sizes that can be set in addition to the minimum buffer size, and the buffer size shown here might not match the actual buffer size.
For details on setting and checking the buffer size, refer to the owner's manual for your application.
"Show README" buttonThis button displays the README file (this document). InformationThis field shows the driver version.

To reinstall
1.Delete the driver as described in "To uninstall."
* When you uninstall, the settings of the Driver Settings dialog box will be initialized. For details on the setting items, refer to "About the items in the Settings dialog box."

2.Install the driver as described in "Installation."

To uninstall
1.Start up Windows with all USB cables disconnected.
(except for keyboard and mouse)
2.Exit all applications before you begin the uninstallation.
* Exit not just Desktop applications but Windows Store Apps as well. Please wait for about 10 seconds until these applications exit completely.

3.Open "Control Panel" and click "Uninstall a program."
* If the icon view is selected for the Control Panel, click "Programs and Features."

4.In the list, choose "GP-10 Driver", and click "Uninstall/Change."
5.If a dialog box regarding User Account Control appears, click [Yes].
* If you are asked to enter the password for an administrative account, sign in to Windows as a user whose Account Type is Administrator, and then perform the uninstallation.

6.The display will indicate "The installed GP-10 Driver will be uninstalled." and click the [OK].
7.When the message "Uninstallation was completed." is displayed, click [OK] to restart Windows.

Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Elantric

This doc should be helpful for all Boss Tone Studio Users ( GT-100 / GT-001 / GP-10 / ME-80 / RC-50)

Boss Tone Studio for SY-300 User Guide
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15397.msg109931#msg109931

patafix

Unluckily, I tried almost everything :

Changing the version of Adobe Air, Uninstalling & Re-installing the driver. The same with Tone Studio itself.

Il definitely doesn't want to work anymore.

It stays on the device selection screen (the one with GP-10 ou GP10 DAW CTL), and still refuses to connect to my GP10...

Elantric

I routinely save my work on separate drives , make backups - so I can do a Windows "System Restore" to the last known date things worked

IMHO - Boss Tone Studio's requirement for  Adobe AIR on Windows will always be prone to breakage.  Anytime Adobe prompts you to "update Adobe Flash" on your Boss Tone Studio computer- skip it.

http://www.adobe.com/products/air/faq.html

A separate computer dedicated to  music, with frequent backups  is the best bet to minimize down time.   

roachone

Tony H. - Roland Support Agent Tuesday at 13:46
Hello Richard,

I haven't heard anything new yet, only that they were working on an updated version and hoped to have it done before the end of the year. I'm not sure why the long delay.

JeffTronics

Better late than never when it comes to joining the GP-10 crowd.

I think the answer is going to be No, but need to ask. Is there a way to sort Patches?

I'm using a custom prefix naming convention and would like to sort them.

Thanks,

Jeff

BrookfieldStrummer

It may be a vain hope, but Is there a way to print out a list of your currently installed patches showing the patch position number?  At my age I find it difficult to remember the order in which I installed them and having a list to hand would really help.
GP-10, GT-1, VE-8, VE-500, Trio plus, Godin, Gibson, Gretsch, Fender, Taylor, Takemine, Yamaha, Hagstrom, Lap & Pedal, Rivera, Marshall, Roland