Roland Ready 13-Pin Replacement Jack

Started by Moja, May 01, 2014, 04:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumbo

Quote from: Rolando on July 03, 2017, 06:05:38 PM
Whether the GK connector is a straight or a right angle plug, both need to have the GK cord weight supported by some method other than hanging from the GC-1 jack to the ground.  The weight of the cable also induces a torque at the jack, pulling on one side of the connector more than the other and slightly cocking it in the 13-pin socket and promoting noise problems.  Even a right-angle GK connector would need to have the cable supported, and the cable clamp (or guitar-strap support) strain relief is appropriate for this.  My GK cable and GC-1 are newish and, in time, the ground connection may become worn, weak, and noisy.  In that case, I'd would first try a new Roland GK and go from there if a better solution is required.  Using a strain relief of some design from the very beginning may prolong the life of the critical ground connection, I'm hoping anyway.

I absolutely concur..it was a point that I obviously did not make clear in my post.
Cable support is always (!) better, and certainly what I do and would recommend, particularly from day-1 with new gear.
I find that the right-angle plug sits better (with cable supported by the strap) and does not lend itself to as much potential for getting inadvertently knocked about..particularly in a 'stage' situation.
If in your case, you are sitting down to play and not using a strap, I would have thought that the right-angle plug would have been more convenient and less obtrusive.

That is the summary of my comments...   ...I still think you did well.  No offense meant.

Regards,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Rolando

No offense taken since I didn't know what you meant by that initial expression.  I love the colloquialisms that are not completely shared between English speaking countries, they make for some amusing interpretations; so I am often circumspect in reacting when I think I see one and don't know how it was intended.

I looked into the Kittler cable, since I can appreciate the benefit of that geometry for my playing position, and decided to decide later due to the cost.  Let me wear out the Roland GK first as it's paid for, in hand, and now working well.

-- Roland(o) (from the dark depths where usernames are created when all my others are in use on this forum)

gumbo

Ha!  Love it!

Incidentally, our very own CodeSmart in Sweden markets a completely acceptable Right-angle plugged cable at a MUCH lesser price than the Gittler one....

See here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13234.0

..you don't want to know why I go by the name gumbo.....   ::)

Cheers,
Peter

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Rolando on July 03, 2017, 06:05:38 PM
Whether the GK connector is a straight or a right angle plug, both need to have the GK cord weight supported by some method other than hanging from the GC-1 jack to the ground.  The weight of the cable also induces a torque at the jack, pulling on one side of the connector more than the other and slightly cocking it in the 13-pin socket and promoting noise problems.  Even a right-angle GK connector would need to have the cable supported, and the cable clamp (or guitar-strap support) strain relief is appropriate for this.  My GK cable and GC-1 are newish and, in time, the ground connection may become worn, weak, and noisy.  In that case, I'd would first try a new Roland GK and go from there if a better solution is required.  Using a strain relief of some design from the very beginning may prolong the life of the critical ground connection, I'm hoping anyway.

Gumbo's Synth-Linx jack coupled with CodeSmart's excellent 13-pin cables are the best solution for GK guitars at the moment.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

GRoobee

This angled 13 pin replacement jack for the strat type is exactly what I'm needing for my Ibanez SR305 5 string bass. It looks ergonomic with good protection. I would be very interested. Thanks.

gumbo

Quote from: GRoobee on July 06, 2017, 05:53:38 PM
This angled 13 pin replacement jack for the strat type is exactly what I'm needing for my Ibanez SR305 5 string bass. It looks ergonomic with good protection. I would be very interested. Thanks.

Sorry..I don't do that at this point..

You'll have to talk to 'Moja'

Peter

GRoobee

Quote from: gumbo on July 06, 2017, 06:19:09 PM
Sorry..I don't do that at this point..

You'll have to talk to 'Moja'

Peter

Thanks.

schfiftyfive

Trying to find this jack and the doom_enterprises ebay user doesn't have anything up for sale. Advice from him or anyone would be appreciated much. Thanks! joe

Quote from: gumbo on July 03, 2017, 06:57:29 PM
Ha!  Love it!

Incidentally, our very own CodeSmart in Sweden markets a completely acceptable Right-angle plugged cable at a MUCH lesser price than the Gittler one....

See here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13234.0

..you don't want to know why I go by the name gumbo.....   ::)

Cheers,
Peter

admin

Quote from: schfiftyfive on June 04, 2018, 05:06:50 PM
Trying to find this jack and the doom_enterprises ebay user doesn't have anything up for sale. Advice from him or anyone would be appreciated much. Thanks! joe

the method of ordering Jack

is via Personal Message

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2189

or

QuoteI will be pleased to supply further information (if required) for the next few days until I start travelling, but no stock will be available until I return to Australia in May.  you can write to me at   info@synth-linx.com

HTH

Cheers,
Peter
SYNTH-LINX
South Australia

gumbo

Thank you for passing on my contact details Steve..

I would like to make it clear however that the Synth-Linx Jacks that I produce are designed to be mounted in the guitar body, either directly in the case of a new install, or bolted to the rear of the pre-existing Roland jack mounting plate in the case of an existing installation that is being retrofitted with a Synth-Linx Jack.

For retrofitting to the (earlier) Roland-Ready Strat and/or the (later) Fender Roland GC-1 Strat, the Synth-Linx Jack is bolted to the rear of the factory fitted (edge-mounted) plastic jack mounting plate. If this mounting plate is missing or broken beyond repair, an alternative mounting plate must first be fitted.

(see comments here):  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23119.0

FWIW, yes, the Synth-Linx Jack shares the same mounting bolt centres as the Roland jack, so no additional drilling or stuffing-about is necessary in that regard.

While I did experiment some years back with a custom-built replacement Strat-style (oval) jack mounting plate that was designed to mount BOTH the Synth-Linx Jack AND a standard 1/4" jack, this item is NOT in production at the moment, and no ready-made facility is available to fit a Synth-Linx Jack to a standard Strat-style mounting plate.

Quite simply, there are dimensional problems in attempting to do this.
The prototypes that I built all those years ago overcame that problem, but getting a reliable and cost-effective production method lined up was elusive.  As previously stated, this project WILL be revisited, but not just at the moment.

I hope that clears up any questions that may still be out there...by all means contact me if there are still unexplained details.

Cheers,
Peter

dagon1

Quote from: Rolando on July 03, 2017, 02:04:32 PM
I'm new to the Fender GC-1 and Roland GR-55 and have had them for just a few days now.  Right away I noticed a problem keeping the GK cable from making noise at the 13-pin jack on the GC-1 and added a plastic cable clamp strain relief to the strap pin. I don't normally play with a guitar strap, which some players apparently use to secure the GK cable drop loop.  So far the cable clamp has cured the problem and it's easy to hook and unhook the loop in the GK cable since only one half of the cable clamp is secured to the guitar.  These clamps are normally used to secure AC power cords in an amp, but works well in this application.  The cable clamp I used is for a 5/16" cord, plus or minus. You can buy a small box of them with various sizes at Harbor Freight for about $5.

I'd like to try your method (or any other that's recommended) for securing the GK cable connected to my Godin Freeway SA which is currently giving out crackling noises when the cable moves (new cable). Can you post the picture again please as the one on this post is not visible anymore.
Godin Freeway SA
Yamaha AES 500
Ibanez AS 103NT
Boss GP 10
Tech21 Power Engine 60
Pigtronix Infinity Looper
Alesis SR 16 later model
Fender Mustang Floor
Vox Valvtronix 30W
SDRUM
Zoom G3

gumbo

Start by reading this thread on 13-pin cable maintenance and cleaning....a LOT of such problems start here...

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

HTH

Peter