GR-33 W/ Godin xtSA

Started by dporto, February 27, 2014, 08:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dporto

I've been playing around with the GR-33 for about a week or so (borrowed from a friend), and while I'm somewhat impressed with the possibilities, there are a few nagging "drawbacks" that I've encountered. They're as follows:

1) Tracking/Sensitivity - the adjustments just seem too coarse to really get it dialed in. I understand that certain types of sounds inherently track better or worse than others, but especially with the Pianos it just seems very difficult to find a usable compromise. I also realize that playing technique will have to vary depending on the sound/instrument being played - Is the GR-30 noticeably better in this regard? Any tips for tweaking individual patches beyond the "common" mode that will make individual patches track better?

2) Sounds/Editing - While I find the included sounds to be ok, the "in the box" editing seems/is woefully inadequate. Does the Grapelight (that I've seen on this board) editor allow deeper editing of the internal sounds, or is it a limitation of the sound architecture itself? Are there any other editors available that are more flexible?

3) Switching - Maybe it's just me, but I find it to be the most un-intuitive switching scheme I've ever used. I've downloaded the manual and read the section on calling up patches/changing patches but I still don't get it - none of the switches seem to do what they're labeled for. And on the Godin if I hold the patch change switch the patches scroll... I suppose I'll just have to do some more reading.

Anyway, any help or answers will be appreciated! Thanks

thebrushwithin

Quote1) Tracking/Sensitivity - the adjustments just seem too coarse to really get it dialed in. I understand that certain types of sounds inherently track better or worse than others, but especially with the Pianos it just seems very difficult to find a usable compromise. I also realize that playing technique will have to vary depending on the sound/instrument being played - Is the GR-30 noticeably better in this regard? Any tips for tweaking individual patches beyond the "common" mode that will make individual patches track better?

Same experience here. I own both units, prefer the sounds of the GR33, but the GR30 tracks way better for me.

dporto

So, I've still got the GR-33 (which I just agreed to buy for $200) and I just got a GR-30 off ebay for $148 incl. shipping. I sat down with both of them for about two hrs. last night. While it was hardly a scientific comparison, I think I got a pretty good idea of the high points of each unit and how they compare to each other. Although I really want to like the "30", the tracking didn't seem that much better than the "33"... Certainly not enough to offset what I consider to be 1) better sound, 2) much more convenient display, 3) included expression pedal of the "33". None of these features on their own would be that big of a deal, together it makes a compelling argument. I think I'll need to use both units in a live situation to get a better of where they really stand but these are my first impressions at least. * all this being said, I find the editing capabilities pretty abysmal on both units - do the computer based editors make it much better?

Elantric

I think most agree the GR-33 is more user friendly than the GR-30

But Review this thread for hidden features of the GR-30

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7741.0

dporto

Yeah, I've been picking that thread apart slowly but surely. Since I've already bought the GR-30 I'm going to hang on to it for a while and work with it. There are definitely some good sounds and feels in there (I haven't messed too much with the arppegiator yet but I've found a few I really liked - more than I can say for the "33"...).