GK-3 - 1st string issue

Started by nervoteso, February 14, 2014, 10:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nervoteso

i've noticed 1st string is very low sounding. i've set sensibility, i had to set to 100 (the other stings are all at 65) cos 1st string barely reach nua. also at 100 audio if 1st sting is still low, why?

Elantric

Post a pick of your guitar bridge / PU area from the front.

Is this a GK-3? or?

A poorly aligned GK-3 can cause such problem.

Also what brand / type/ gauge strings?

nervoteso

it's a godin acs nylon (gk3) but it happens also on stratocaster on which i installed gk3, so it doesn't depend on installation cos it happens on both the guitar

Elantric

Try a different 13 pin cable - since its on both guitars  this points to a flaw with your 13 pin cable

Roland GK 13 pin Cable Maintenance Tips.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

nervoteso

i was wrong it happens just on the strato, now i'll post a pic...if i set to 100 i solve it! string are 0.10

Elantric

I would move the GK-3 PU 1mm to the left, (towards the bass strings)

also verify that when you fret the strings at the 22nd fret, that there exists only 1mm clearance between top of GK-3 PU and strings.

and retry.

and read some reference material;

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8612.0

nervoteso

it exists about 1mm, also if i move to left it's the same. anyway i solve setting to 80/100 the 1st string

Elantric

Just as a reference I set my GK-3 (mounted on JTV-69) to 22-30 string sensitivity range, using .010-.46 gauge strings.

If I set this any higher, I get no picking dynamics, and poor / overloaded COSM Modeling.   

nervoteso

if i set all strings at 30 sens the first strings has to be set at 50 ..anyway 30 is too low for me

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

shawnb

If it worked before, the issue is likely the cable or the connector.  I always suggest starting with DeoxIT for such issues, follow Elantric's link above for Cable Maintenance. 

It's pretty normal to need the high &/or low strings set higher, simply due to the curve of the device, the physics of the highest/lowest strings and the fact that the GK fret distance doesn't line up on any freaking guitar I've ever owned...  ADGB strings are usually fine. 

A jump from 30 to 50 does seem a little steep. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Deus02

Quote from: Elantric on February 14, 2014, 11:11:16 AM
Just as a reference I set my GK-3 (mounted on JTV-69) to 22-30 string sensitivity range, using .010-.46 gauge strings.

If I set this any higher, I get no picking dynamics, and poor / overloaded COSM Modeling.

Curious, I have the same set-up as yours(JTV 69/10-46 strings),however,  my string sensitivity is set quite a bit higher. I wonder does your low sensitivity settings have anything to do with the fact that the curvature of the top of the GK3 pickup is quite a bit more than the curvature of the guitar itself, hence,  no matter how you make adjustments, the outside strings are slightly further away from the pickups than those strings located more towards the center?  This set-up doesn't seem to affect my sound, however, I am always open to ways of improving anywhere I can.

Machh_2

Hello
Try this test: Let all strings with the same sensitivity (65 for example).
Search on the GR-55 menu settings GK-3, and adjust the GK-3 to'' reverse'' (but not change anything in the physical position of GK). When you adjust for reverse, the sound of the strings will relocate. So pay attention to the problem changes the high E string to E low. Ie, the low E string should be low and the high E string should be high. If this happens the problem is in the GK-3 or 13-pin cable. If the problem persists in the same position this problem in installation ...

If you can not tamper with the setting, change the gk-3 position physically. (up side down) you can notice the problem ...

I had a similar problem, and that's how I found out, but in my case was the installation of GK ...

Machh