VG-99 - Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb

Started by musical_edmond, February 09, 2014, 08:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musical_edmond

As promised here's my patch for Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb.  There's obviously a bit of pedal switching and playing technique involved to get it to sound right so I'll add the following notes so that you get the most from the patch.

I originally used my mag pickups for the solos but have changed to the VG guitar to make this patch suit everyone (still just one patch).

I set my FC-300 to 'controller' mode so pedals 1-5 are midi controllers 65-69.  The controller pedals are set to midi controller 7 (volume) and 1 (modulation).  I use other settings but that's all that's needed for this patch.  If you use something different then change the VG's 'assign' settings in my patch.

The default sound is a 12 string acoustic guitar and is used for all of the song except the solos. The volume controller is always a master volume pedal.  The slide guitar and synth are only active on certain strings at different pedal settings (see below).

Here's a description of what each pedal is doing to change the sound:

Pedal 1: Switches to lead guitar for the two solos.  Changes guitar, amp, chorus and string volume settings.
Pedal 2: Toggles between slide guitar (on) and synth (off).  Also changes some echo settings.  The slide is 'E' string only and the synth is on the top 3 strings.
Pedal 3: Toggles between Slow Gear (on) and Pedal Bend (off) and only used with the slide sound.  Also switches on a user tuning to play the right synth notes for the verses.
Pedal 4: Switches off top 3 strings strings and switches on 'D' string for solo synth in 2nd verse.

Here's the playing technique:

- Start with pedal 2 on and modulation pedal fully off.  Strum Bm (2nd fret bar) and slowly press on the modulation pedal to bring in the slide guitar with a rising pitch.  The slide is using only the F# note on the 'E' string of the Bm chord.

- Before the verse vocal starts, press pedal 3 on (pedal 2 is still on) to disable the Pedal Bend and switch on Slow Gear effect that gives a nice fade in whenever a note is hit.  It also switches on a user tuning that plays the right high notes over the chords triggered from the 'E' string. Avoid strumming the high 'E' string until you want to trigger the note.  The note is sustained by echo so you can change chords without it chopping off.  The notes played on the 'E' string are key (obviously) so play Bm chord with an F# top, A chord with an A top, G chord with a G top and back to Bm.  The user tuning will change these notes to the correct ones.

- In the 2nd half of the verse, switch off pedals 2 & 3 to activate the synth sound.  Make sure the modulation pedal is fully on as it is the sub-volume pedal for the synth/slide.

- Again it's all in the playing to get it like the original.  I strum each chord while using my little finger to play the top synth notes.  This is much easier to do than describe as the chords lend themselves well to playing the upper synth notes. 
Play a 'D' chord (bar top 3 strings on 2nd fret and place 3rd finger on 2nd string 3rd fret).  Use little finger to play A on 'E' string then pull off to trigger F# underneath, then play E on 'B' string then pull off to trigger D underneath.  Get the idea? 
Then A chord (E on 'B' string, pull off to C#, B on 'G' string, pull off to A). 
Then C chord (G on 'E' string, pull off to E, D on 'B' string, pull off to C).
Then G chord (D on 'B' string, pull off to B, B on 'G' string, pull off to G).

- Press pedal 1 for the guitar solo.  The patch is saved with GK neck pickup selected as the default ready for the first solo.  Use the modulation pedal to keep the 2nd guitar's volume a bit lower for balance.

- Next tricky part is the 2nd verse.  Press pedal 4 giving synth just on the 'D' string.  When playing the Bm, A, G>F#m>Em chords use a barred version ('E' shape) and play a suspended note (2 frets up on 'D' string) with your little finger (on then off as per the track).

- IMPORTANT: Before the 2nd solo, press the GK's S2 switch twice to switch to bridge pickup.  I use the GK's S1/S2 switch for changing pickups.  Use whatever works for you.  make sure the modulation pedal is fully on to get a big guitar sound.

I hope that's useful.  I've tried to write it so it's of use to experts and novices alike so may have bored/lost some along the way :)

Happy VG-ing and here's hoping the new VG is even better.
Ed

alexmcginness

AHHHHHHHH OH YEAH.....Thankyou for posting this. Im DL it now and am gonna give it a run. If youve got any more like this ...please post em for us. Thanks again.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

papabuss

Ed, excellent description and control assignment!
(+1) ;)
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

alexmcginness

OK, I didnt realize that if you run the FC-300 in controller mode you need a midi cable out of the FC-300 to the midi in of the VG. Things are starting to happen.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

musical_edmond

You've read that the modulation pedal (controller 1) is acting as volume pedal for the other sounds?  It's purposely turned down/off when the patch is loaded.

If that's not the problem then it could be a controller mismatch.  In control mode, each pedal of the FC-300 is assigned a specific midi controller number.  For example my pedals 1-5 are set to controllers 65-69.  However each pedal's controller number is programmable within the FC-300.  So you may need to check what, for example, is pedal 1 is set.  If not 65 then you can either change the FC-300 controller number or match the assign value in the VG99 to whatever it already is. 

This area is both a VG99 strength and a weakness.  The degree of programmability means setups can be different for each user.  I'd prefer if the VG99 assigned preset controller numbers in SysEx mode but it actually doesn't use the midi controllers when in SysEx mode.  Only basics like volume and the two controller pedals work.  Maybe in the VG100?

Excuse me if you've covered all of the above.  Hopefully that's the problem you're experiencing with the patch.

Ed

musical_edmond

Just read your follow-up note and no, you don't need a midi cable in control mode.  The usual LAN-style cable works fine.

Ed

Smash

"And the award for most complex patch of the month goes to..."  ;D

Wow! That's a heck of lot stuffed into one patch!

alexmcginness

Well a very intricate patch to say the least. Im slowly getting the hang of it. Im finding that it doesnt work unless EX 1 is full volume. The moment you back it off the second voice sounds and cant be turned off without first putting the ex 1 back to max pushing pedal 3 toggle ex 2 back and forward and then off and then turn off pedal 3. Other than that all is good. Im slowly learning this and getting a great education on what the harmonist can do. Thanks again.

BTW...if you havent downloaded this patch....do so. Itll open your eyes as to what the 99 is really capable of. This guy is an amazing programmer/player.