Fishman Fluence Mag pickups

Started by Elantric, January 14, 2014, 03:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: ktat on February 14, 2015, 06:48:45 AM
I'd be interested to know if these would work and fit in a Roland ready strat...

Same here. The trick would be to figure out the wiring for a single tone and single volume setup, and of course, if there is room under the hood.

Elantric

Its going to be a tight fit, and require some prior electronic knowledge, because of the low impedance of the Fluence pickups - its very similar to installing EMG pickups in a Roland Ready Strat, and replacing the normal guitar Vol/Tone pots  - yes its been done, and can be accomplished with the Fishman Fluence PU's too.

cynegetic

That battery pack = simple genius.

Tonemasterus

Elantric or any other electronics genius out there?  I love these pickups but the tone control is not useful to me, it doesn't give me as much control as a passive pickup tone control.  I have tried different cap values but I am not sure which would be best since it is not standard guitar cap values? What can be done?  I would use these in all my guitars if I could figure out the tone pot issue!!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

HecticArt

Greg is NOT from this planet.

Wherever he's from, I want to go there.

He's hysterical, and can PLAY.

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: Tonemasterus on September 05, 2017, 04:11:59 AM
Elantric or any other electronics genius out there?  I love these pickups but the tone control is not useful to me, it doesn't give me as much control as a passive pickup tone control.  I have tried different cap values but I am not sure which would be best since it is not standard guitar cap values? What can be done?  I would use these in all my guitars if I could figure out the tone pot issue!!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Dave, which Fluence pickups are you using? I'm using the strat set and enjoy the voicing of the tone controls. I do notice they have a different voice than a passive tone control. For example, most passive strats have tone controls that roll off so much high end that I only use about half their range before it gets too muddy, but I find the whole range of the Fluence tone controls to be useful, although the high end rolloff is pretty subtle until you get below 6 or so. Are you looking to roll off more high end? My strat has the HF Tilt lead to a second push/pull pot for additional flavors. The HF Tilt is described as simulating the high frequency rolloff of a long cable, and I find it can take some of the ice-pick off of the bridge pickup (which is not wired to a tone control). However even with tone on 0 and the HF Tilt on the tone remains brighter than my passive strat's tone control at 3 or below.  The Fluence tone pots are just 25K ohms. I'm not sure if adding more resistance would make it sound more like a passive tone control, but you could experiment by temporarily adding a 25K ohm resistor in series with the tone pot and see if it gets you where you want to go on the darker end of the range, then if so just swap a 50K ohm tone pot in for the 25 K ohm pot.

Elantric

For a darker tone when tone pot is on "0" ( full counter-clockwise)

Use a Tone cap with higher capacitance

( I understand the stock tone cap  is 0.1uF

- if you add another 0.1uF cap in parallel with the existing tone cap that adds capacitance = 0.2uF = darker Tone
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-13/series-and-parallel-capacitors/
The Fluence Pickups are Active pickups  (25 k Pots ) - and EMG active pickup knowledge carries over and applies to  the Fishman Fluence products as well. 
http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories.html
https://www.emgpickups.com/top-10-wiring-diagrams
https://reverb.com/item/4038036-pre-wired-fishman-fluence-emg-spc-loaded-pickguard-for-fender-stratocaster-bk-bk

Tonemasterus

Ok that makes sense I will get some additional caps and add until I get closer to what I desire.  The strat set is what I am using.

Thanks
Dave

aliensporebomb

Greg Koch is awesome.  I want to throw my guitars in the trash.  Can anyone tell what dirt box he's using into that blackface Princeton Reverb?

Terrific player.   And FUNNY! 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

scratch17

I have looked at Tele's in the past, but as Greg says, "They're country guitars, right?" Not! I ended up spending four hours watching Greg on YouTube playing his Telecasters. I am blown away by the tone of the Fluence pickups on his guitar. And both of Greg's hands demonstrate dexterity and ease I can only dream about.

So now I am considering purchase of a Deluxe Nashville Tele, replacing the two stock pickups with a pair of Fluence Koch Signature pickups and a Cycfi Nu in the middle position. The only routing I'd have to do would be to add the channel and hole for the Lemo jack and a battery box cavity. 
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

admin

Actually the Greg Koch "Gristle Tone" Fluence set is very easy to install  - its a special set with everything you need  - no mods  / no routing /

Owners manual
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Telecaster-User-Guide.pdf

One hurdle . .

https://www.fishman.com/support/install-guides/

**A HUGE OVERSIGHT -  FISHMAN STILL DOES NOT PROVIDE A PROPER INSTALLATION GUIDE FOR THE GREG KOCH GRISTLE TONE FLUENCE TELECASTER PICK-UPS!

https://www.fishman.com/products/series/fluence/greg-koch-gristle-tone-signature-pickup-set/
it drops right into a standard  Telecaster - and is reversible
the Fluence rechargable battery is bundled with Greg Kotch Fluence set, and integrated near the PU Selector switch

basic wood work skills  required for the output jack install - add 2 small 45 degree screw holes.

scratch17

I am totally comfortable with installing the Fluence pickups. I want a NU hex pickup for the middle position with a Lemo jack.  Can I assume that the Tele is front routed beneath the pick guard? That would make routing a channel and hole for the Lemo jack really easy.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: scratch17 on September 09, 2017, 10:54:15 AM
I am totally comfortable with installing the Fluence pickups. I want a NU hex pickup for the middle position with a Lemo jack.  Can I assume that the Tele is front routed beneath the pick guard? That would make routing a channel and hole for the Lemo jack really easy.

Telecasters are front routed under the pickguard, in different forms depending on the model.

What is your goal with the Cycfi Research Nu pickup?  If you want to use GK gear, the middle position will not work for you; for polyphonic guitar you should be OK.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

scratch17

Yes. Polyphonic, not GK.

Thanks for confirming the top rout, GuitarBuilder.

I might add a Graphtech Ghost GK system to the bridge down the line.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

Elantric

admin

scratch17

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/fishman-debuts-fluence-open-core-classic-and-keith-merrow-custom-pickups
SOMETHING NEW FOR 2018

Introducing Fluence Open Core Classic Humbuckers––Since the first guitarist grabbed a screwdriver and popped the cover off a humbucker, players have craved the look and sound of coverless pickups. The new Fluence Open Core Classic humbuckers further refine the coverless humbucker idea by exposing their Fluence Core––the heart of Fluence tone.

Fluence Open Core Classic humbuckers also feature a new "Voice–3" Single Coil. Voice–3 replicates the glassy punch of a great single coil pickup, and like the HF Tilt and other Fluence Multi-Voice functions, Voice–3 is either switchable or set-and-forget. All new production Fluence Classic humbucker pickups, Open Core and covered, will feature the new Voice–3 as a standard upgrade.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

danel59

I saw the NAMM video announcing the Open Core pickups which made me extremely happy as I want to get the Humbuckers and Single width for my MM Steve Morse guitar. The pickguard is not routed for covered humbuckers and I didn't want to try and enlarge the holes so am willing to wait. I contacted Fishman and it doesn't sound like they will be shipping until summer. Come on summer!

scratch17

I am thinking of dropping a pair into my Hamer Duotone to replace the stock Seymour Duncan pickups.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

Elantric

I put Fishman Fluence Greg Koch PUs in my Richie Kotzen  Tele and these work well for any genre.

Less magnetic flux string pull = more sustain and no noise and lots of good tone.

Have not noticed any more hiss than normal

Think of the switch on the Greg Koch Fluence kit as a Tele ( up) or P90 ( down) voice switch and the Vol & Tone controls work smooth with traditional passive guitar tricks still functional , only better. Highly recommended.
These Greg Koch Fluence kits do exhibit minor treble loss as volume rolls down - ( by design) they seem to react more like a passive set vs a true EMG active set
No hum, minimal added hiss , but lots of tone possibilities compared to a typical Tele.

Easy install - although I fault Fishman for not providing better install PDF  docs for these Fluence pickups ( they'ed sell more of these if they did )
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Telecaster-User-Guide.pdf
https://www.fishman.com/products/series/fluence/
https://www.fishman.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
Quote from: Sevenmodes, post: 26011050, member: 129898Ok... that's what I was wondering. Every time he demoed them, he started by emphasizing the volume swell trick. I suspect that is because traditional volume swells are slightly less dramatic with actives due to the comparatively linear EQ roll off that passives without a treble bleed don't have.

That's not necessarily a bad thing and for true vintage tele enthusiasts, probably a good thing.
Yesterday I played at a living room volume blues jam with my Ritchie Kotzen  fat neck Tele  - upgraded with the Greg Kotch Fluence Grissle Tone PU set, ( added a a full aluminum foil static charge noise shield under the plastic pickguard and upgraded to Hipshot staggered Height locking tuners, and installed Yngvie Malmsteen .008-42 Fender Bullet strings , plugged straight into a 1st gen Roland Cube Street and had one of those days where the planets were aligned and casual observers told me afterwards they swore they heard the spirit of Mike Bloomfield    - My Tele has become a stunningly effective tool
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/are-active-pickups-only-for-metal.1921463/page-2#post-26011050

yellow napkins

i installed the gristle tone set and i´m very happy with the sound, but now i can´t find any tele style poti knobs that will fit... ??? my old ones were to small, so i got me a pair with 6mm, but they won´t fit either?
anyone got an idea what poti knob will fit?

installation was (as other described already) ok if you know how to search the info with google and know how to solder...but the wires were very very short.
VG-8, VG-99, ATG-1, GP-10, SY-1000, Kemper

yellow napkins

To answer my own question, here is the reply from Fishman:" The pot shaft diameter is the same as standard Telecaster pots which is 1/4" (6.35mm).

I got a pair of Fender Precision Bass Knobs that fit exactly. Unfortunatly most sellers (e.g. Thomann) do not have the diameter of poti knobs in the description.

Regarding the short wires, Fishman replied: "The wire length usually is not a problem on most Telecaster guitars. We've really not seen instances where the wires were too short to install."

For my Squier Telecaster the cables were too short.
VG-8, VG-99, ATG-1, GP-10, SY-1000, Kemper