RC300 - POD HD500, GR-55 and RC-300 ...Advice Please

Started by gtrwiz, January 02, 2014, 09:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtrwiz

Hello Forum Folks - new member here - looking for some advice before taking the plunge on a new Roland GR-55.  Basically, I want to understand how I might utilize my existing rig with the inclusion of a GR-55. I have no specific experience with the Roland synths, but I have heard them and was very impressed with the sounds and variety of instruments that are modeled.

I use a Line 6 POD HD500 for all of my guitar sounds. I've had the unit for years now, and have tweaked my patches to my personal nirvana. Very happy with it and I have no intention of using the GR-55's guitar or amp modeling -- I only want to add its synth capabilities to my overall rig.

Currently, I run my guitar through a TC Helicon VoiceLive GTX (to pick up the key of my guitar chords for voice correction and harmonies on my vocal mic), then into the POD HD500, and stereo out into a Boss RC-300 for looping. From the Boss RC-300, I either run stereo out to a set of Roland CM-30 mixing monitors for home studio use, or occasionally out to a Roland KC-100 keyboard amp or just use the RC-300 headphone jack for silent practice.

So, how could/should I alter my rig such that I can incorporate a GR-55? Preferably I would like to have the flexibility of hearing only the POD tones at times, only the GR-55 Synth tones at times, and sometimes both together (these options to be controlled via foot pedals, if possible). Also - I would prefer that both the POD and the GR-55 ultimately run through the Boss RC-300 so I can loop the tones of either at any time.

Would I plug my guitar into the GK-3 pickup at all? Or just straight into the TC Helicon / POD HD500 as I do today? Would I then just plug the GK-3 13-pin into the GR-55 and set the GK-3 pickup to "GK" mode? Use the volume pedals of the HD500 and GR-55 to determine which is audible?

Plug the POD HD500 stereo outputs into the RC-300 stereo inputs and the GR-55 stereo outputs into the RC-300 Aux-in (3.5mm) input?

Is any of this making sense? ;-)   I've attached a PDF diagram of what I think might work.  Should clear up any questions.  Thoughts and advice?

Elantric

Since you want to use the RC-300 looper with GR-55:

Many would feed the GR-55 Out into the HD500 Stereo FX loop Return, then build HD-500 patches that have the HD500 FX loop (in parallel mode placed after the HD-500 Amp Sim) - 

Engage HD500 FX Loop On,  when you want GR-55 tones,  or Off when you want no GR-55 tones.

The patch where you want GR-55 only, simply create an HD500 preset with HD500 FX loop On, but turn the HD500 Amp Master volume to zero.     

But the above is NOT the only method.

Plepleux

Having the same rig, I find this idea very interesting ! I'll try soon.

gtrwiz

Thanks, Elantic and Plepleux.   Really interesting idea to use the HD500 FX Loop for the GR-55.  I would have to edit my patches to include the loop, and assign a switch to turn the loop on/off as indicated.  Only potential issue I see is that on some patches I have assigned all of the footswitches to toggle other FX, so I might need to get creative.

Did either of you look at the PDF attachment of the setup I was envisioning?  Just wondering if that would actually work also........

Elantric

Mrchevy

Looks like it would work to me. I'm not sure what control you have with the RC300 AUX input as far as switching or level control (aux in level is usually controlled by the source-GR55 in your case) but signal flow wise your good. I have the GT100, GR55, and Boomerang III. The boomerang only has L/R input so I use a small stereo mixer for the GT and GR then out to the Boomerang and out to a pair of Alto TS110's powered PA speakers. With the mixer I can also put in a couple of mics and keyboard, all running thru the looper pedal. Using the mixer also gives me quick access to level and EQ for each. Just another option.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

gtrwiz

Thanks MrChevy. Good info.  The RC-300 has separate input level knobs for the instrument in, the mic in, and the Aux-in, so that shouldn't be an issue.  I believe the "y" connector from the GR-55 outputs to the single 3.5mm RC-300 Aux-in should preserve the stereo separation, as I would occasionally PAN some effects in the GR-55.

If I set this up right - I hope to use each volume pedal to "blend" the POD and GR tones to taste. Occasionally looping and overdubbing parts of each to make some really nice soundscapes.

A little stereo mixer could do the trick too - like you have it working with your Boomerang. Curious -- what mixer are you using? 

Mrchevy

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

JakeCJ

I find myself in the same situation looking for guidance to achieve what your original post stated when I came across this thread. 

My gear and tenure:
- HD500(2 years)
- TC Harmony G-Xt(1 year)
- 2 L6 L2Ts Soundstage Speakers (6 Months)
- RC-300(3 mos)
- GR-55(1 day)

- I also have an Allen & Heath Zed 10fx mixer but haven't had need to use it yet as my L2Ts have 4 on board mixing channels between the two of them.

Your graphic looks like it will work fine for what you want but am I right in that you will NOT be able to loop your vocals/mic? 
Can anyone chime in on how to integrate HD500, GR-55 and RC-300 like GtrWiz wants using the gear I have but...
1) still be able to loop my mic/vocals (post Harmony G-XT of course) in the RC-300
2) using less floor space?  this might be fantasy but is there a way to use one midi foot controller board to manipulate everything or most?

I'm such a newbie and obviously have bought gear way beyond my abilities.  Just looking for help. 

- Obi Wan Jacoby

gtrwiz

Correct JakeCJ -- in the configuration I illustrated, I could not loop vocals.  That said, I could have run the mic out of the Voicelive into the mic input of the RC-300 and that should work.  However, the trick is then controlling the volume output/mix of all of the various inputs to the RC-300.  It's doable, but not something you can tweak on the fly. Most of those controls are buried in menus, etc as you know.

The more I envision my setup - the more likely I'll end up running a small mixer (when not using my mixing monitors!) like was suggested earlier in the thread.

In your case, I could see a similar configuration, running the vocals through the Harmony G-XT and then into a small mixer before the RC-300.  There really are so many options!!!

As far as footprint / floor space, we are both screwed there.  Turns out our preferred sound comes with real estate needs.

csassakb1

Hi guys.  I have a GR 55, a BOSS GT 100 and the RC 300

I was told buy my teacher that in order for me to use all three units together with the ability to switch between units I may need to buy a small mixer that runs through a PA or something.

This is what I tried that worked partially:  Guitar>GR55>GT 100> RC300> Keyboard amp

With this setup I could not get any sounds from my GT 100

Another option would be to run that same setup as above, but run my regular guitar cable into the GT 100 and the synth cable into the synth and run a cable from the GT 100 to a regular amp

I'm a bit lost here  but working on it.  Using the looper thing is new to me anyways

carsonics

I'm curious why no one is suggesting using the GR-55's "guitar out" jack to feed the input of an external device?  Seems simpler to me and less complicated - Occam's Razor!  If you need to feed both the external device/multieffects and GR-55 to a single amp or stereo amps for monitoring why not use a simple small compact mixer with 2 ins or more (from the external unit and GR-55 outputs) and out from the mixer to amp/s?  That way you wouldn't have to program things and you could focus on using the unit you want to use at any given time.  So in my case (using a  Boss GT-8 multi effects and the GR-55):

guitar into GR-55
GR-55 "guitar out" to GT-8 input
GR-55 main out to small guitar mixer in
GT-8 main out to small guitar mixer in
small guitar mixer out to amp(s)

I haven't tried this yet since I'm waiting for the GR-55 to arrive, but hoping it will work based on my research and reading (manual and online forums) so far.  I think this is the purpose of the GR-55's "guitar out" jack and why it is basically configured (or can be) for a clean signal.  I've found that simplicity is always best for situation like these. 

Elantric

QuoteI'm curious why no one is suggesting using the GR-55's "guitar out" jack to feed the input of an external device?

Because most GR-55 owners experience massive hiss and noise when connecting GR-55's "guitar out" directly to a modern high gain Tube Guitar Amp.

If you are feeding a modeler (GT-100, HD-500) you can typically tame the hiss and noise using a Noise Gate

* GR-55 Guitar Out Jack: Source of Noise in Live Rigs
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5456.msg37493#msg37493

carsonics

Wow, that's somewhat discouraging!  I am feeding a model-er (the GT-8 has modeling and noise suppression) so hopefully I will be able to conquer this problem.  I've never had problems with Roland/Boss stuff, but it seems the people in this forum are very sophisticated and power users to be sure.  I did notice that the guitarist using the axe effects discussed in the thread had another power amp in front of his amp and I wonder if that is adding noise as well?  In any case I look forward to trying out my theory and setup and reporting back the results.  I'm using EMG pickups and they are usually very quiet and warm.  Thanks for the feedback. 

Biggredd

I know this is an old thread but I'm considering purchasing an RC300 soon. I just recently bought a Boss Gt10 and a Roland GR-55.  Could you do this set up?

GK3 to GR55 to RC300 left input
Regular guitar jack to GT10 (yes, 2 cables) and do one out to an amp and one out to the RC300 right input?
RC300 to PA?

That way you could toggle foot switch volume off on the GT10 when trying to do synth only, then mute the GR when needing to guitar only and you get to use your regular guitar pickups?

I saw a thread where they built a stacked floorboard with the GT10 below and the GR55 above.  Think the RC would be too big so would have to go to the side.

Mrchevy

Quote from: Mrchevy on January 02, 2014, 03:13:27 PM
I have the GT100, GR55, and Boomerang III. The boomerang only has L/R input so I use a small stereo mixer for the GT and GR then out to the Boomerang and out to a pair of Alto TS110's powered PA speakers. With the mixer I can also put in a couple of mics and keyboard, all running thru the looper pedal. Using the mixer also gives me quick access to level and EQ for each. Just another option.

This setup combines everything ( GT10 and GR55 )down to one L and R output. You can set general levels for both in the mixer then control each unit separately with their foot controls. L/R output from mixer goes to input L/R of looper, then L/R out from looper to PA and/or separate monitor. This setup gives you the ability to loop anything you play.
Quote from: Biggredd on April 22, 2015, 07:33:04 AM
  Could you do this set up?

GK3 to GR55
Regular guitar jack to GT10 (yes, 2 cables)

Yes, this is common to do if you don't mind the 2 cables.
Also, I did a video tutorial on controlling the GR55 with a MFX pedal. I use the GT100 but it basically applies to the GT10, HD 500(x), etc.

Also, get Gumtowns Floorboard editors for the GT10 and GR55. Absolutely essential for understanding the inner workings and signal flow of both units. It is free and you can find the link in his signature. 
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones