GK3 on Hollow Body Jazz Guitar

Started by waterpicker, August 22, 2016, 12:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterpicker

Sorry if this has been answered before.
I searched and couldn't find it.

I'm wanting to mount a GK3 on an Ibanez hollow body jazz guitar.
The guitar is great, but very inexpensive and I'm fine with modifying it.

Has anybody done this kind of installation?

Thanks

chrish

I have a gk2 on a hollow body Washburn prototype jazz guitar (oval sound hole). I used  tape velcro to mount the wart and i had to build a new bridge piece in order to mount the pickup because the strings are 1'' from the body at that point. That bridge piece was made of rosewood and the modifiction was to build a shelf to accept the pickup. Of course now, the gk3 comes with it's own mounting shelf and useful if it fits your particular bridge.

shawnb

I have a GK2 on an old Epiphone Sheraton.  Works fine!
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

Just know with a Hollow Body Guitar that DSP Alt Tuning may be a problem at low volume live gigs

Never underestimate the acoustic decibel level of a vibrating string on any guitar

To use the DSP Alt tuning effectively, your amplification system must be loud enough to hide the audio produced by the natural pitch of your vibrating strings.

That often means using headphones, or play a solid body guitar type that ( unplugged) acoustically has the lowest decibel level when the strings are played hard.

its a battle we all face.   

waterpicker

Thanks for your kind replies.

Sounds like it is possible.

And also thanks for Elantric mentioning the Alt Tuning thing...  I've even experienced this with solid body guitars, so I understand what you are saying.

I'm using the guitar in a jazz trio setting and I probably would just use some subtle keys and organ patches.
It would be very cool to add this to the mix.

Thanks!

waterpicker

YAY!

Thanks for all of the advice.
A bit of a battle to get it working.

I am happy to say that I now have an arch top with GK3 capability.

Very fun....

Autana

Quote from: waterpicker on August 25, 2016, 04:31:54 AM
I am happy to say that I now have an arch top with GK3 capability.
Very fun....

Nice!  similar and perdurable love history here :)  I set a GK3 in my Epiphone Joe Pass EII in 2008, I built the stand for the pickup with two pieces of hard plastic and held by the bottom of the  humbucker frame base, not contact with the ebony bridge in order to not affect sustain. The GK3 control use the standard factory base/plate. The most critical factor to face is the distance of microphone from the strings, as the natural resonance of the guitar may produce rumbles and false midi triggering, everything worked perfect after some tries. By then I connected to a Roland GR-33 or GI-20 as seen in the video demoing Band-in-a-Box.

Midiguitar GK3 GI-20 jazz guitar Epiphone Joe Pass - Band in Box PG Music

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -