Modelling Ibanez RG Prestige

Started by monks, June 10, 2014, 05:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monks

I've been trying to reproduce my patches from my Boss GT 8, and I don't quite seem to be getting the translation right. I think one of the problems is with modelling the guitar itself. The guitar has Di Marzios. i have some questions actually regarding translating the Boss GT 8 params to the VG, but best leave that for another thread.
What pick up types would you use to simulate an RG?
The only ref to this I could find was here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5872.5;wap2

Also, is it possible to use the guitar input and the GK in at the same time? I just tried both inputs connected but I wasn't getting any mix between the two- it was favouring the GK in and turning off the normal in.

monks

Elantric

jburns

when i first got my vg i thought the LP cosm model was going to be my go to selection for the virtual pickup type. i do use the variable as electric suggested but i like the sound of the "modern ST" and use that the most. the mod strat is virtual emg's and while i don't like emg pickups or single coils- in the vg99 the pickup type sounds deeper and more like a dual high gain pickup to me. i choose between the "mod strat" or "variable" and compare how they sound with whatever particular amp settings i have selected. the "modern st" cosm type usually handles higher overdriven patches a bit more naturally in my setup and is my 1st pick every time starting a new patch.

in the cosm a/b EQ settings i thought higher gain settings would help sound more like a dimarzio (i use the drop sonic. been using them long before petrucci and still do!). common sense told me adding more gain to the cosm pickup's eq should respond more like a high output pickup. however in my case that never helped me much so i normally leave the EQ gain flat.

also- oddly enough i sometimes get heavier sounds using the vg's smaller combo amps, like in the BG LEAD category, rather than the stack rectifier category.

monks

Thanks for the input...gonna take a look at this today!

monks

monks

I was wondering why I couldn't get close to the sound from my RG into the GT 8, but today I noticed that the sends in the mixer were all set quite low and the panning was sending some signal to the B channel as well. With the Vari using 2 double pickups, I've got something that's much closer to what I'm looking for. I'm still not entirely sure how the EQ settings translate from the GT 8 to the VG. I think that's something which I might ask about in another thread.

monks

Elantric

QuoteI couldn't get close to the sound from my RG into the GT 8,

I assume you mean VG-99 - not Boss GT-8?