Boomerang Roller Wheel - New Foot pedal/Control Input option

Started by vanceg, December 27, 2012, 09:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanceg

http://www.boomerangmusic.com/WR.shtml
For those of you who might want to add an extra footpedal to add control to your VG-99 or VB-99:

Footpedals are fun and very useful - but sometimes that standard "gas pedal" type interface isn't quite what you are looking for.  Why not consider a different type of input device.  The Boomerang looper has long had a "roller wheel" on it which allows for continuous control, but offers a different type of interface.

The folks at Boomerang are now offering the Roller Wheel as a stand alone device, replete with a 1/4" output.  Plug this into the Expression Pedal input on your VG-99/VB-99 or FC-300 and blammo - You have a cool new way of changing parameter values.

I'm thinking that this would be great for changing effect parameter values or, may be the ideal interface for controlling the A/B mix on a VG-99/ VB-99.

I've just ordered one and will test it out with the VG-99 right away when it arrives.  Should be fun.

See the bottom of the page at:
http://www.boomerangmusic.com/

http://www.boomerangmusic.com/WR.shtml

musicman65

I made my own roller wheel 5 years ago and use it on my vg99 rig constantly. It cost me $10.

It's built into my pedal board and typically controls delay depth. Scroll to the bottom to see plans to build your own:
http://www.cruzerrocks.com/VG99/VG99_Case.htm

bd

vanceg

Quote from: musicman65 on December 28, 2012, 12:13:05 AM
I made my own roller wheel 5 years ago and use it on my vg99 rig constantly. It cost me $10.

It's built into my pedal board and controld delay depth. Scroll to the bottom to see plans to build your own:

bd

Yes I recall seeing this.  Looks very cool.  $10 is super.  $10 and the time it took to build it?  I might end up buying a product.  There's always the (Excellent) experience and satisfaction of building your own, of course!  (rolling your own might be a better term to use here, eh?). 

In any case, I'll let you all know how well this works with VG-99.

musicman65

It's just a potentiometer... If you can spin the shaft, you got it! Mine goes to Exp 4 input in the FC300 along with extra momentary switches in Controls 3-6. I have plenty of inputs :)

I do have one other mod. I am going to parallel connect a maintained switch to Control 6 which already has a momentary. I need to hold a Control on to keep midi hold on without keeping my switch depressed. My balance sucks standing on one foot. :) a this should allow synth tones to be held as long as the switch is engaged (mechanically latched) and off when clicked again. There is no internal latch for maintaining midi assignments in the VG99 :(

bd

tekrytor

Quote from: musicman65 on December 28, 2012, 12:13:05 AM

It's built into my pedal board and controld delay depth. Scroll to the bottom to see plans to build your own:

bd

Nice work BD!
I was looking for a way to add rotary encoders to my HighlyLiquid CPU based DIY MIDI foot controller. You just gave it too me, thank you! I'm gonna use the mic stand clamp and split-wedge case ideas, too. Triple thank yous, amigo!
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

musicman65

Your welcome....Show us some pics as you build it! BTW, I left my road case sitting behind my jacked up diesel Excursion 4x4 and backed over it. Yikes! Monster truck crush.

Fortunately I realized it right as my tire hit it. Everything inside survived and wood glue put Humpty back together again! That's when I realized I needed to backup my VG and Proteus2000....

LOL!

bd

vanceg

The Boomerang Wholly Roller volume/expression pedal came in yesterday.  I immediately hooked it up to the VG-99 EXP in and saw that the value of the pot in the Wholly Roller isn't right for the VG-99. I'll need to change the pot to get the full range of 0-100 on VG-99.  Since the VG-99 and the FC-300 use the same input type, I suspect this would be the same for the FC-300.  However,  that IS a VERY simple change.

And, the unit works and feels GREAT.  Seriously - using the Wholly Roller to do things like change the mix between A/B chains on my VG-99, or change effect settings is wonderful.  The physical experience of rolling my foot across this wheel (as opposed to using a standard volume pedal) is really satisfying and I feel like I have a great deal of precise control.  Also, when I lift my foot off of a standard footpedal, I often nudge the pedal just a little bit, changing the value that I may have just carefully set using the pedal.  I don't find that to be the case at all with the Wheel based Wholly Roller.

The Wholly Roller also acts as a standard (mono) volume pedal.  Super.  Works like a charm. 

The enclosure is JUST the right combination of heft and size - It's not going to slide around on the floor, but it's also not absurdly heavy.  It feels quite well built (like other Boomerang products).

This was a very basic review, I know...but I wanted to mention it to you all before lovely NAMM comes....

thebrushwithin

Hey Vanceg,
         Do you think this would work well as a straight volume pedal with iPad out, into the roller, and out to a mixer? I am looking for this to control the volume of my mp3 backing tracks. Thanks in advance.

Elantric

The Boomerang Roller is Mono only.

For iPAD, A Stereo Volume pedal woud be more appropriate, followed by a Stereo DI box to feed PA.

thebrushwithin

Thanks, but I do run all mono. I was wondering about impedance and the effect on mp3 input. Do you think it would be better, worse, or the same as say a Boss, Ernie Ball, etc. what gets me excited about it is, as I set it, with different songs, it doesn't move, when I move my foot. I have tried a Zoom, a Boss, both plastic gears, which really are undependable, and a Roland, that has a spring, which is very solid, but you must hold it down for max volume. I bought an Ernie Ball Jr., but returned it as there was not a true linear volume change. I bought a blue tooth remote for the iPad, but had problems with it being too responsive to touch, ie would turn off the volume of the tracks - awkward!

Elantric

For smooth linear taper in those situations (Synth, GR-55 output, Line Level Gear)

I use a Boss FV-50L Stereo "Line Level" Volume pedal.  (not the FV-50H Instrument Level pedal)
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=59
I prefer it due to its small size, light weight, and features. (I carry my own gear to gigs)

In general, the lower the internal Vol Pot value, the smoother taper for Line level effects.
When controlling Line Level audio signals,  Avoid Guitar Volume pedals with their typical high impedance pots (250K -500K - 1M).

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33.msg57457;topicseen#msg57457

thebrushwithin

Thanks much, that is the info I need. Unfortunately, the pedal that didn't hold up is a Boss FV60. It has no markings for H or L. FYI, I have used this pedal forever, and in the past year, the plastic gears need constant adjustment, taking apart, etc. So, be cautious, the Boss pedals could easily go down, with frequent use. I am not surprised it finally needs replacement. It sounds like the Wholly Roller is a bad choice, due to the high impedance. Thanks again.

Elantric

FWIW - Ive been using a Boss FV-50L for past 14 years, no problems.

But many prefer the Roland FV-500L, but it weighs more.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/FV-500L/

With either  Boss FV-50L or Roland FV-500L  -  no gears are employed.

Inside Boss FV-50L

Inside Roland FV-500L

thebrushwithin

Great! I was assuming the 50 was built like the 60, because they look alike on the exterior.
Thanks again!

concordal

Elantric, you recommended Guitar Volume pedals with lower impedance pots above, such as the FV-50L.

I have an older Boss PV-1 pedal and it has no pot!  I believe it's optical? 

But the impedance remains a mystery.  You listed impedance values for a bunch of pedals in another post but the PV-1 wasn't mentioned.  Do you happen to know the impedance of PV-1 or where I can find out? ???

Elantric

QuoteElantric, you recommended Guitar Volume pedals with lower impedance pots above, such as the FV-50L.

I have an older Boss PV-1 pedal and it has no pot!  I believe it's optical? But the impedance remains a mystery.  You listed impedance values for a bunch of pedals in another post but the PV-1 wasn't mentioned.  Do you happen to know the impedance of PV-1 or where I can find out? ???

The older Roland Rocker PV-1 uses a Hall Effect sensor 
http://www.bossarea.com/other/pv1.asp

PV-1 Rocker Volume

Boss Pocket Dictionary Vol 1-2 (1984-1985):
The PV-1 Rocker Volume pedal plays an important role in controlling volume levels. The PV-1 can also be used to produce a violin-like sound with no attack by lowering the volume during picking and by pressing the pedal after picking is finished.

A Hall effect device makes the PV-1 a revolutionary volume pedal that can completely eliminate scratching noise even during long periods of use.

The maximum volume level is variable between Unity gain and a + 20dB boost in gain.

A powerful sound comparable to that of an electric guitar with hum-bucking type pickups can he produced from an electric guitar with single coil type pickups by simply pressing the pedal.

The angle and stroke of the pedal is determined according to the latest principles of ergonomics in order to minimize player fatigue over long periods of use.

A lightweight aluminum diecast case ensures carrying ease and durability.

Specifications
Power: 9V Battery, AC Adaptor (ACA Adaptor)

Current draw: DC 9V, 5mA

Input impedance: 470kOhm

Output load impedance: Over 10kOhm

Maximum attenuation: Over 80dB

Dimensions: 110(W) x 65(H) x 320(D)mm (4,3" x 2.6"x 12.6")

Weight: 1 3 kg (2.86 lbs.)

Accessory: Vinyl Bag.