13-pin to 24-pin converter...

Started by susbemol, March 11, 2017, 03:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susbemol

Hey guys,

I've been looking for a converter that would allow me to use my existing 13-pin guitar with old 24-pin systems. Is anyone aware of anyone making them?

It seems that Wayne Jones is no longer making his box and another one I've come across seems to be excessively expensive for what it is. I think I'd only need the basic string signal (no need for the additional controllers signal) to be converted but I was hoping to avoid having to build one myself.

Any comments or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Brak(E)man

I want an 24 to  13 , so any suggestions are welcome
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrish

There's a roland bc-13 currently for sale on reverb.com, but the seller wants around $700 with shipping.

Elantric

QuoteThere's a roland bc-13 currently for sale on reverb.com, but the seller wants around $700 with shipping.

And it would not work anyway

the BC-13 converts 24 pin to 13 pin  - its a one direction interface

same with Waynes versions
http://www.joness.com/gr300/bc13_S.htm
http://www.joness.com/gr300/BX13.htm
Heres Wayne's version

the OP wants to convert 13 pin to 24 pin, a clever hacker could review our schematic library and design one
http://www.marksmart.net/gearhack/gr300/analogmods/cablecut/cablecut.html

Wayne Joness used to offer one  ( and TSC / Proix in Japan did too - 20 years ago ) -  - but its essentially a supply vs demand  problem -VERY  few folks are seeking this type interface. after 9 years and nearly 20,000 members  - this is the first time ever heard of a 13 pin to 24 pin interface being requested

Elantric

https://reverb.com/item/4342529-roland-gr-13-to-24-pins-converter-for-gr-300-gr-700-gr-100-gm-70-korg-z3

HOMEMADE GUITAR CONVERTER 13 TO 24 PINS
YOU CAN CONTROL GR-300 GR-700 ......
WITH
YOUR GK-2 GK-2A GK-3....

susbemol

Thanks, guys. I've seen the one from the gent in France before but at £300+, I was hoping I could find another alternative. His offering is quite a bit more expensive than Wayne Jones' box which was much more fully featured.

Still, I will continue to look for another option and if not, maybe I'll try putting something together myself. Mark's original schematic and plans for this don't look so complicated.

Yohanes

I have successfully convert my G-707 24-pin into 13-pin guitar previously, so you quest more or less the same journey that I have done.

What unit do you want to control, (a GR-300 or GR-700)?

At www.joness.com/gr300/24pin.htm you can see each pin function. It is relative easy to achieve what you want only if you have the 24 pin connector. The cost of the unit you want is mostly because the connector, if you willing to replace the 24-pin connector into 25-pin printer type connector, it may reduce the unit cost significantly, but then you have to mod your unit 24-pin connector.

If you have decided to built one, and want to discuss, I am more than happy to help.
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50

Brak(E)man

I have a gk1 external laying around somewhere , controller , cable , connector and all
I haven't used it ages

- Lydia Lunch

susbemol

I've already got most of the KORG ZD3 (only without the divided pickup bit) which is the equivalent of a GK1 so I'm hoping that perhaps I'll be able to build an interface box for it.

I plan on using it with a GR-300 if I can eventually find an affordable one (if ever?)!

susbemol

I am planning to build this little box soon. Could I pick your brains about a couple of details, please?

I am planning to use a GKPX-14 (similar to a US-20 in functionality) made by @CodeSmart which a GP-10 (connected to its GKA input) will provide power for and then use one of the outputs to connect to the 13-pin to 24-pin converter box. It sounds as though the converter will need power to amplify the 13-pin signal so I assume I should still include the -/+15V in the converter box to power the active circuit in here. And also, am I right in that I should not include the +/-15V to +/-7V power conversion or connections back to the 13-pin side?

Mark Smart's original schematic, for reference:

susbemol

Having thought about it a bit more, I should probably do the voltage conversion as per schematic as you never know if I might want to connect the guitar directly to box, instead of going through the GKPX-14. I think it shouldn't cause any problems since the GKPX-14 will just send those pins to ground.

Sorry for talking to myself for a bit there! :)

CodeSmart

Quote from: susbemol on March 16, 2017, 06:14:00 AM
I think it shouldn't cause any problems since the GKPX-14 will just send those pins to ground.
Sorry for talking to myself for a bit there! :)

"...send those pins to ground through a 1K resistor", is the correct phrase.
It would be ok.
Hex signals (in & out), +/-7V and ground is also available on a 20 pin header inside the box.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

susbemol

Yeah, that's the same seller who was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Shingles

I converted my G707 15 or more years ago..

I did it by removing all the 24-pin electronics system, including the pickup, and replacing it with a GK2 internal kit. It works great and is completely reversible. This guitar gives me the best pitch to MIDI tracking of any guitar I've tried with the Axon AX100, including my #1 Godin LGXT, so I guess that stabiliser bar is actually doing what it was advertised to do!

Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

Brak(E)man

Yohan Damour makes 24-13 , 13-24 , hex fuzz and much more.

- Lydia Lunch

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Brak(E)man on October 06, 2017, 07:10:39 AM
Yohan Damour makes 24-13 , 13-24 , hex fuzz and much more.

Contact info would be very helpful!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Brak(E)man

- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

Brak(E)man

- Lydia Lunch

chrish

Quote from: Brak(E)man on October 07, 2017, 04:04:20 AM
he's also making hexfuzz and a 24 - 13 split box to two 13 outputs

interesting. Is he making his own 24 pin connectors in the standard Roland Style? That plug doesn't look like a 25 pin computer cable plug.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: chrish on October 07, 2017, 03:23:50 PM
interesting. Is he making his own 24 pin connectors in the standard Roland Style? That plug doesn't look like a 25 pin computer cable plug.

I beleive he's making them , I'm using a standard Roland 24 pin with my box, latch and all.
He asked if "same as the pic or two knobs locker plastic /metal" so I guess he makes or has both types of connectors

- Lydia Lunch

susbemol

After much head scratching and leaving it aside for quite some time, I've settled on a fairly simple solution for now - simply because it works great!

In essence, I built a box very similar to the one I used to connect a GK equipped guitar to the FTP (https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8413.msg122194#msg122194) and connected it to a GK1. I replaced the non-working parts of the GK1 and then connected my box to where the GK1 pickup would be.

pinkjimiphoton

guys, just curious, is there any real difference between a bass and guitar version of a converter like this? thinking about buying one, seems to have all the matching controls to my g202 controller, including 6 string knobs, but he says its for bass only. i am skeptical, and thinking i should nab it if even just for parts to build my own.

i can't see there being much of a diff, a roland synth is a roland synth i'm imagining.

thanks for the advice!