VGuitarForums - Member location stats?

Started by Hennisdk, February 13, 2011, 11:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hennisdk

How does it work, cause I see no one, not even myself.
Ibanez CT Series (Very Old)
Ibanez EDR470 Ergodyne - Cosmic Black (GK-3 PUP)
Epiphone Les Paul (Zakk Wylde)(GK-3 PUP)
Takamine EG523SCB (Warm sound with 12 Gauge Strings)

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp
Studio Monitors for VG-99

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal
Sennheiser Wireless Guitar System

MCK

Ahh sharp eyes. There is a bug in it and it will not display the pins yes but you can capture your pin in your Profile. Will announce formally as soon as I can get this to work.

Hennisdk

Got my pin set. Will wait for your annoucement.

Hennis
Ibanez CT Series (Very Old)
Ibanez EDR470 Ergodyne - Cosmic Black (GK-3 PUP)
Epiphone Les Paul (Zakk Wylde)(GK-3 PUP)
Takamine EG523SCB (Warm sound with 12 Gauge Strings)

Line6 Spider IV 15 amp
Studio Monitors for VG-99

Roland VG-99
BOSS DS-1 Pedal
Sennheiser Wireless Guitar System

papabuss

Just to remind you all...post your location in the V-GuitarForums Member Map......please THX
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

papabuss

Do you remember...?
Please post all your locations... :-*

papabuss

We are already 59 (map)members
THANK YOU!!!

papabuss

By the way...we are already 64...thx
(where are all the others?) ;)

papabuss

We are growing...we are already 72!
THANK YOU!  :-*

papabuss

Yes Thank You!...Number 78...Who's gonna be NO.100?

Headless68

Is there a way to see how many members per country we have ? I don't see anything in the 'stats' page on this

Thanks
Headless

Mrchevy

That is highly classified information and top secret  :-X. The Admins could tell you, but then........... 8)

On a more serious note... I do wish members would fill out their profile with at least the basics. AGE-GENDER-GENERAL LOCATION. Does it really matter? I suppose not but, there are times when, for instance, answering questions, it might help to know when giving answers or making suggestions. Who knows, you may find a member who is actually just across town and decide to hook up to just jam or collaborate. SOME, of my best friends, are not a mystery  ;D.

Maybe we can start a drive or a call out to members to update their profiles (not mandatory, but appreciated)

FYI I did notice that to show your age the full birth date must be filled out. I had just the month and day originally as I really didn't want to much personal info out there. What I did was just alter the DAY or MONTH slightly so it does reflect my age in years without my true B-day being in cyber space ( not that it's probably not out there somewhere anyway)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

We used to have a member map - we removed it during an SMF Update ( this entire forum is built on SMF)
http://www.simplemachines.org/

But in this era of identity theft - not much motivation to restore it.

One thing I can tell you,  we have most of the big guns in the guitar world ( or their Guitar techs) here as members, and while they may not post, they do stop in frequently to browse / read our forum, so realize your demonstrated brilliance on the forum might get you noticed and help get you a professional gig in the music world.   

And any topic we discuss gets updated to the google search engine, which scans the site daily, and brings in many "Guests".

Headless68

what I was wondering was in rough terms what the split on locations looks like for the 13,500 ish members between USA, UK, Europe, other regions?

Cheers
Headless

Elantric

We also have members in Russia, Ukraine, Asia, Philippines, Vietnam,  India , South Africa, South America,  Middle East, Israel, Afghanistan.

We are global

shawnb

I did too much coffee today, & ended up doing some analytics in response to this query... 

Bear in mind, during registration we ask for a 'location'.  This is not a structured field.  I am at the mercy of what y'all enter... 

Many of our members are apparently from countries like: Rivendell, Home, Mars, the Basement, Downstairs, Far far away, and Earth.  We have several from Deep Space.  Hooda thunk?

I am most intrigued by our member in Antarctica.  If you're reading this, please tell us your experiences & gear down there!  (Plus, which 'sales region' is Antarctica in?) 

So, I spent an hour or two cleaning up the raw data to conform to consistent names & group the world into regions to answer this question.  It was time better spent than gritting my teeth during my coffee buzz. 

This analysis is very imperfect and tested the limits of my geography skills...  I'm sure I've offended someone...  But here goes...

Row Labels   Count of country
Unknown   4423
USA           3560
UK          1009
Canada   559
France   418
Germany   409
Australia   355
Italy           301
Brazil           281
Spain   202
Russia   138
Netherlands   124
Sweden   111
Poland   88
Norway   77
Turkey   77
Ireland   74
India           72
Belgium   65
Denmark   63
Argentina   60
Portugal   59
Greece   58
Switzerland   57
Japan   56
Mexico   51
Czech Republic   48
New Zealand   43
Finland   37
Serbia   37
Chile           35
China   34
Indonesia   34
Thailand   32
Israel   31
Philippines   29
Croatia   28
South Africa   27
Europe-Unspecified   24
Hungary   23
Ukraine   22
Romania   22
Singapore   21
UAE           18
South Korea   18
Colombia   16
Puerto Rico   14
Holland   12
Taiwan   10
Slovakia   10
Vietnam   10
Venezuela   9
Macedonia   8
Uruguay   8
Malaysia   8
Costa Rica   7
Cyprus   7
Slovenia   7
Bulgaria   6
Malta           6
Qatar           5
Bosnia-Herz   5
Egypt   5
Asia-Unspecified   5
Peru           5
Martinique   4
Saudi Arabia   4
Kuwait   4
Morocco   4
Belarus   4
Ecuador   4
Estonia   3
Lithuania   3
Iran           3
Kazakhstan   3
Latvia   3
Kosovo   3
Cape Verde   2
Luxemborg   2
Tunisia   2
Bolivia   2
Canary Islands   2
Montenegro   2
Nepal   2
Isle of Man   2
Algeria   2
Guatemala   2
Cayman Islands   1
Caribbean   1
Botswana   1
French Guyana   1
Maldives   1
Oman   1
Lebanon   1
Honduras   1
Bahamas   1
Pakistan   1
Frency Polynesia   1
Bahrain   1
Aruba   1
Ethiopia   1
Albania   1
Paraguay   1
Uganda   1
Brunai   1
Afghanistan   1
Sri Lanka   1
Angola   1
Barbados   1
Kenya   1
Cambodia   1
Antartica   1
Syria           1

Grand Total   13561

BTW, Texas is clearly more cool than New York.  Hooda thunk?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

gumtown

Wow someone is from the Antarctica, who would have though  :)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Vade

+1 and thanks for taking the time Shawn. Alright Buckeye's; let's huddle up and get to work!
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

shawnb

Quote from:  Vade on June 09, 2015, 10:53:13 PM
+1 and thanks for taking the time Shawn. Alright Buckeye's; let's huddle up and get to work!

Ohio has a very strong representation per capita already! 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Headless68

Thanks Shawn - thats exactly what I was looking for - most interesting info, more diverse than I was expecting too

Headless

supernicd

Hail Ohio! (and of course Rivendell - Elven guitarists are the best, having had hundreds of years to practice).

Hey thanks for creating this.  Pretty cool.  The membership here is a bit less US- and UK-centric than I would have guessed - truly a global community.  I might have expected the Japanese presence to be a bit higher given that the products we discuss most heaviy here originate in Japan.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

vxboogie

Quote from:  Vade on June 09, 2015, 10:53:13 PM
Go Bucks!

Headless68

I was expecting Japan to be up there too - maybe something else in play in local language ?

Vade

Quote from:  vxboogie on June 10, 2015, 06:59:30 AM
Go Bucks!

..and in that spirit here's a music video produced by local artists; "Ohio" by D.A.P. featuring Adam Clements & Katie Doup. I think they nailed it myself. OH-

Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

MusicOverGear

Big ups to ShawnB!

I would love to see one more graph - same as the first one but with "Unknown" thrown out.

BTW an alternate analysis of your data proves that NY is cooler than TX; NY is so hip they only use obscure, vintage, analog gear :)

mbenigni

Just updated my profile - never thought to bother before seeing this thread.  But location is a free text field.  How are you parsing out country, state, etc?