Will FTP hang in there or fade away... general opinions plz.

Started by musicamex, June 14, 2016, 09:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

szilard

It is nice to be retired, but I still don't seem to have much free time ;D At least I'm working on what I want to.

gumbo

Quote from: szilard on June 18, 2016, 04:04:00 PM
It is nice to be retired, but I still don't seem to have much free time ;D At least I'm working on what I want to.

...yes...     ::)

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

shawnb

If by "re"-tired you mean tired again, again, I think I've been retired already...

To answer the original post, it's absolutely not fading away, the FTP is here for a while.  It's still the best.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

musicamex

Retired is just a new set of tires.  As long as the motor holds out i plan to keep on truckin'.  Just need a little help reading the map these days.  SO MANY NEW ROADS TO TAKE AND SOME ARE DEAD ENDS WITH NO SIGNS OR REST STOPS. Glad to have so many amigos who already have navigated the way to help when i call home.

Con muchas gracias hermanos y hermanitos.

BTW  Happy fathers day!

chrish

Quote:
''To answer the original post, it's absolutely not fading away, the FTP is here for a while.  It's still the best.'' end quote
other than reading a bit about the FTP, i don't know much about it. I was wondering how it compaires to the vg99's pitch to midi function as far as midi glitch notes go? Does it transmit the guitars mag pickup signal? If not, you're still attatched to your amp, and at least,  even to the vg stuff by a wire even though the FTP is wireless. That radio switch guitar in combination with the radio pick may turn out be the best solution to trigger midi synths just because the switching is similar to a keyboard. Aren't all the guitar pitch to midi convertors  just 'fixes' in order to allow the guitar to trigger midi devices that were products derived for use with keyboard switches? When the software allows the guitar's analog signals to be coverted to a digital restructure of a pcm sample and then use those pcm samples as oscllators, won't the trp and other guitar pitch to midi devices just fade away? Edit for spelling 

shawnb

Quote from: chrish on June 19, 2016, 08:16:02 AMother than reading a bit about the trp (FTP), i don't know much about it. I was wondering how it compaires to the vg99's pitch to midi function as far as midi glitch notes go?

Owning all 4, here is my 10-second comparison:
  • GR-30:  Latency excellent; very few glitches; dynamics poor
  • VG-99:  Latency passable, somewhat inconsistent; frequent glitches; dynamics better; avoiding low E & A helps a lot
  • GR-55:  Latency okay/inconsistent; MANY glitches/squeals; dynamics very good; avoiding drums, piano, & sax-ish voices helps a lot
  • FTP:  Latency excellent; extremely few glitches; dynamics excellent
FTP glitches exist, but are much fewer & further between.  Expressiveness is the best of the bunch. 

You can work around VG-99 & GR-55 issues by carefully choosing voices - slow attack & synthy voices work best.  The GR-30 & FTP place no such limitations. 

I am not a 2SYN or JOMG user, so I can't provide a comparison to those products.

Quote from: chrish on June 19, 2016, 08:16:02 AMDoes it transmit the guitars mag pickup signal? If not, you're still attatched to your amp, and at least,  even to the vg stuff by a wire even though the trp is wireless.

The FTP does not xmit your guitar's audio.  You still need a guitar cable.  Remember, though, the FTP's wireless capability means you still only have the 1 cable. 

Quote from: chrish on June 19, 2016, 08:16:02 AMAren't all the guitar pitch to midi convertors  just 'fixes' in other to allow the guitar to trigger midi devices that were products derived for use with keyboard switches?

Only if you narrowly attempt to use synth sounds to emulate other instruments & only play in ways that are idiomatic to those instruments (e.g., cover bands).

But the guitar as a controller has many features that keyboards don't: Whammy, slide, pitch bend on individual strings/notes.  Lots of expressiveness that is unique to the guitar as a MIDI controller.  (1 Midi guitar = 6 mono keyboard controllers...)

Quote from: chrish on June 19, 2016, 08:16:02 AM
When the software allows the guitar's analog signals to be coverted to a digital restructure of a pcm sample and then use those pcm samples as oscllators, won't the trp and other guitar pitch to midi devices just fade away?

Yep.   If/when the SY-300 type technology matures, that is a possibility.  (We mustn't forget Roland's excellent COSM WAVE Synths on the VG8 series,  GR-55 & VG-99 also...)

Until then... I'm playing my FTP!
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

chrish

Thanks for that post shawnb Excellent points and review of the existing pitch to midi tech. I've been reviewing the past threads but hard to find specific info without a search funtion on my flip phone. My roland GR-50 has it's good days and it's bad days and i've been weighing the plus and minus's of what's out there. The big plus for the FTP is the price and now i know that codesmart's usb host module will allow it's use without a computer to control hardware midi synths. The used VG99's are around $500 for a good one and you get the COSM HRM synths, but if the pitch to glitch is a big factor with that unit, then it will have to wait as i'm mainly after a better pitch to midi converter for my hardware midi synths. It seems that pitch to midi tech would still survive even after the HRM tech arrives that includes pcm sample waveforms, because many midi synth modules exist and are still in production. That includes the midi to CV modular analog synths that are gaining popularity.

musicamex

Re glitch notes and errant sounds, i found that switching to a hex core flat stainless wrap string greatly reduced unwanted, unintended sounds and notes.  Most rockers still prefer the regular round wound hex core and the round core that i started carrying again a couple of years ago.  Round wound stainless wrap are the younger metal guys choice.  They also last longer on the coast here.