GR-55 - Moody Sax - Some Success...

Started by FrankG, March 07, 2011, 02:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankG

Hey All,

I'm not the only person in search of the GR-20 Moody Sax Voice... so I thought I'd post my progress so far...

I've opted to go ahead with GumTown's FloorBrd app as an editor for the GR-55 (The App is still in Beta, but I wanted to push it around to see what all was implemented and this was a good exercise, plus it got me a lot closer to the Moody Sax than I was able to with GR-55 on-brd editing wheel and Page button scheme...) 

Below (attached) are a series of screen caps that illustrate the "Structure" of essentially the one Sax Voice #400 **** Sax on PCM1 set to Bypass, and the individual Delay, Reverb and Chorus settings. (the values are readable on my screen but may need to be downloaded and viewed locally to be readable on your end)...

The Delay setting and Reverb really are the ticket, with the Chorus just adding as dressing, and particularly their Time values...

The Voice overall is the closest I've been able to get... I have Roland's Librarian Downloaded (not installed yet) will use it to post the finished voice in a few days (hopefully)...

And  to GumTown's credit the FloorBoard app for this purpose worked like a charm... all paramaters directly influence or are reflected by the GR-55 in real time and after majour tweak session I simply apply the GR-55 "Write" button (twice :) ) to retain the settings... Have power cycled repeated with no setting loss...

If anybody has a "GR-20 Moody Sax Clone" please post a link to your patch here ... It would inspire me to load and learn the "Librarian"

...I hope those images load ?!?
the power to do nothing is tremendous, but it must not be abused...

FrankG

Gee... ummm listening to the Sax Voice today, it's not as close as I thought yesterday...

Probably posted after 4:20 who knows???

Plus Voice #400 is not even in the Sax grouping it was #406 "Breathy Sax"...

You can imagine my embarrassment... ::)

FrankG

This a simple test for posting a GL5 file...

Attached below is what I've settled on for a GR-20 Equiv Sax... A near clone of Patch 22-2 the  GR-55 factory preset called "Moody Sax", so nothing radical unfortunately, but I do want to feel comfortable with the "Librarian" app and this was a practical test...

Again, if you have a "Killer" Sax patch please feel free to post it on this thread, as I'd make an effort to try it out!

shawnb

I like your test .g5l download, & will likely use it next time I want to play saxotar!
I used the 'Nice Tenor' preset in our last jam, and it went over very well. 
This is much warmer.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

FrankG

Hey ShawnB,

Glad it was worth trying for you...

I just got arround to trying out the Roland Librarian App yesterday. I did notice that I have a bit of tweaking to do as my GL5 is over 300K and I was able to download and install Patches that other folks posted that were well under 10KB in size...

I see the potential for this board to be a repository or library unto itself of GR-55 Voices, and really hope that it evolves into that. Given the level of complexity (relative to the GR-20) for Patch configuration, the GR-55 has the potential for being a "Black-Hole of time" I know I had thought 2 days tops and I'd heve 15 to 16 of my most utile GR-20 voices migrated and I'd be back to rehearsing for the spring season...

But I'm now on Day 6 or 7 (like 8 to 10 hr days...) and the GR-55 is still tied to the PC and maybe 50% setup to my liking...

I'm very pleased over-all with patches I've created and/or downloaded (particularly a set of Dobro Voices CW3 posted) they litterally sucked back the rest of the evening last ight once installed :)...

...fg

ddlooping

Very nice patch, Frank, thanks for taking the time to share it. :)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

Philippe

Jim Williams

At some other users requests I thought I'd give the GR-20 Moody Sax a try. Let me know if I'm even close.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

FrankG

Jim-413,

Very Cool... I listened to the MP3 and think I'll try that Voice tonight...

I don't know if it's even possible to hit the sound that Stan Getz achieved on his "Samba" album with Charlie Bird... But that's the gold standard (to my ear... :)

All the Best!

kenw

Hi peeps,

I've had the GR-55 for a few months now - and with the Floorboard editor I've been able to experiment with some of the sounds - I've been concentrating on the sax sounds quite a bit - I'm more of a free jazz fan - but quite a lot of bebop/postbop too - eg I like Pharaoh Sanders - he's not to everybody's taste !!

I like Frank's moody sax above - the breathytenor PCM and the tenor1 PCM go well together - however they're a bit tinny and "filtery" by themselves - I've found that turning down the cutoff and resonance to about -4 to -9 helps this - I also turn the portamento time to 0.

I've also found that the Lo-Fi compression MFX improves the sound (much to my astonishment !!) - and sometimes the EQ can take out any remaining tinniness

So I tweaked the patch (hope you don't mind) ...