RC300 - Routing Mic input To TRACKS ONLY not to output

Started by abirtwell, March 30, 2015, 09:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abirtwell

Hi Guys,

I've seen various similar related posts by people trying to do the opposite of what I am trying to acheive.

Basically I perform with the RC300 to build both guitar and vocal loops live in performances and used to use two microphones one direct to mixer for main vocals and a second to the pedal for recorded loops. I now use the TC helicon Voicelive Play GTX and have been experimenting with using just one microphone.

My voicelive pedal has a stereo output which means I can send one side direct to the mixer and the other side direct to the mic input on the RC300. I have a CTRL switch to activate input mic switch on and off which works great now apart from because both the mic outputs are live to the PA the vocals are overly loud. I'd love to find a way to make the mic input on the RC300 only record to the tracks and not route directly out to the PA, just the looped vocal to be played out front. Is there a way using some clever track panning to achieve this that anyone could think of?

Thanks in advance!

Threeleggedyoyo

Several possible solutions come to mind.

1) Is the microphone the only input?

If so, you can use the System setting to set the Input Out to Mute. If I recall correctly that makes it so that you only hear stuff you input when the loop plays it, but not while it's being recorded. That should do what you want, but it's not a Mic-specific setting. It will do the same to all your inputs. I think it's also available as a Memory level setting, so you can set it per patch instead of over the whole system.

You could also manually turn the MIC input knob with your hand or toe, but that's a little dicier.

2) You've already discovered the CTL Mic Mute function. You could try pairing that with an external switcher you hit at the same time. You could put the other stereo out (the one that goes to the PA) on an A/B switch with one end going to nowhere, or with a hardware mute pedal. Then hit the Mic Mute and that second button at the same time. This way you'd be switching one side of the mic on and the other off symultaneously.

3) Heck, that's too complicated. Just do what I do. Get an A/B switch and put the mic cable into the input. A goes out to your Mic input B goes to the PA. One is always silent. One click to switch. No problemo.