Show your GK Guitar

Started by Virtual Tone, February 22, 2008, 11:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brak(E)man

Quote from: aliensporebomb on August 29, 2012, 07:55:39 AM
Okay this needs some explanation - who built it and is that a little harp up on the upper bout ala Philip DeGruy?  Very interesting guitar and the wood looks nice too.

Quote from: Elantric on August 29, 2012, 08:16:27 AM
Not to mention the Fretless Neck too

It's my design based on an Ovation Breadwinner
( which is one of my other GK guitars )
together with my Luthier Fredrik Nevborn ( Nevborn Guitars )

not a harp but sympathetic strings like a sitar or the Danelectro Guitar Sitar rather.

You can hear them and the fretless neck in these 2 songs

The body is Mahogany with a top from Myrtle
( it's rare that you can get it this big )
the necks are Birdseye Maple
with Madagascar Ebony flamed with green splashes :)

Double GK and Fernandes sustainer circuits
Stacked humbucker middle position
humbucker in the bridge position
and one extra for the sympathetic strings
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

tekrytor

@Brak(E)man

A lovely ax you designed there, my compliments!

So how well does the fretless track with the GK? Good with GRs or better with COSM only?

I have a Yamaha fretless bass that I love to play, but the GK-2A I put on it was disappointing on my V.Bass. Any clues?
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Brak(E)man

Quote from: tekrytor on August 29, 2012, 06:54:57 PM
@Brak(E)man

A lovely ax you designed there, my compliments!

So how well does the fretless track with the GK? Good with GRs or better with COSM only?

I have a Yamaha fretless bass that I love to play, but the GK-2A I put on it was disappointing on my V.Bass. Any clues?

no difference in tracking with a fretted or fretless guitar
the more ( i'm guessing ) advanced the algorithms are ,
they might create  a few off noises for both fretted and fretless
both the songs above are done with VG and fretless
AdieuL.mp3 with a "synth" patch

Same with a GR or midi even though midi glitches in both cases

I don't see why the bass should be any different
what happened when you tried it ??

- Lydia Lunch

tekrytor

The sensitivity is awful. I have to pick very hard to get any response and the false triggers and glitches make it unplayable. It is amazingly simple and accurate with the Jazz bass. Unusable with the fretless. I'll give it another try though. Perhaps I missed some adjustments. Your success is inspiring.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Brak(E)man

Quote from: tekrytor on August 30, 2012, 08:56:48 AM
The sensitivity is awful. I have to pick very hard to get any response and the false triggers and glitches make it unplayable. It is amazingly simple and artefact with the Jazz bass. Unusable with the fretless. I'll give it another try though. Perhaps I missed some adjustments. Your success is inspiring.

I don't see any real reason for it  ???
I use very light strings on the fretless 0.08-0.38 halfrounds for the sustains and brightness sake
as well as easy slide access :)
so i have much less output than withe the fretted 0.10 - 0.52 but it worx just fine
i had to fine tune the distance BUT the distance on the fretted is much bigger then recommended
to balance the 2 necks.

Good Luck
and if I can help ..

- Lydia Lunch

cell7

sounds awesome! I want one.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: cell7 on September 06, 2012, 05:53:01 AM
sounds awesome! I want one.

I'll set you up
it's comes to about 15000 $

- Lydia Lunch

cell7

hmm ok :o i dont want one anymore...!

My guitarasaurus came to about $600 plus a crapload of my time. Nowhere near the same league, but its the povo version :)

Virtual Madness

Here's my Fender Televarious:  ;)

I built this back in 2010 and have been meaning to post pics of it ever since! (overcoming inertia one day at a time!)

It's got Seymour Duncan pickups in it, CTS pots, custom made switches, a stainless steel bridge and a custom made black cover for the internal Roland GK-2A pickup.

Each pickup can be switched on separately in series or parallel, in or out of phase, and they share the top 2 master volume and tone controls.

The GK pickup has the S1/S2 switch and the Guitar/Both/Synth switch on board as well as the bottom 2 volume and tone controls.

I absolutely LOVE this guitar. It does everything I need it to do, and is both a great "regular" guitar AND a great GK guitar. Sometimes you get lucky and everything just works out right. This was one of those times!

Royce

The greatest power in the universe is imagination!

Brak(E)man

Quote from: cell7 on September 18, 2012, 08:34:51 AM
hmm ok :o i dont want one anymore...!

My guitarasaurus came to about $600 plus a crapload of my time. Nowhere near the same league, but its the povo version :)

well I use a fretless Duke with a gk2a ,
about 60$ not including the hexpickup.
and maybe 1 hour of defretting and mounting the pickup  ;D

- Lydia Lunch

sloopdawg

Thought I'd add my guitar as well. Not as sweet as most but she's mine.

neophytte

Quote from: sloopdawg on October 04, 2012, 04:52:00 PM
Not as sweet as most but she's mine.

Natural blondes always look good :)

Cheers

Richard

tekrytor

myksara

Is the GC1 really worth it??..i personally think that in case something goes wrong with the gk pickup..it is easier to replace an external pickup than an internal..
Hows the neck n fingerboard feel n radius etc?...
Is this worth buying the GC1 by selling my mexican classic player 50s shoreline gold strat or godin lgxt?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

mbenigni

Quote from: myksara on October 11, 2012, 11:11:48 PM
Is the GC1 really worth it??..i personally think that in case something goes wrong with the gk pickup..it is easier to replace an external pickup than an internal..

To me, yes.  I prefer the location of the GK knob and switches on the GC-1 vs having them on the "wart" near the tailpiece; I prefer not having an extra cable on the front of the guitar; and I don't really see the internal gk pickup as being very likely to give you trouble any time soon.  But all of this comes down to speculation and personal preference.

QuoteHows the neck n fingerboard feel n radius etc?...
Is this worth buying the GC1 by selling my mexican classic player 50s shoreline gold strat or godin lgxt?

Not sure on the exact specs as far as fingerboard radius etc. go.  I'm sure Google could tell you as much.  As for whether it's worth selling a guitar you're already familiar with, and maybe attached to, nobody can answer that but you.  My general sense is that both the GC-1 and the old RR strat are very good Mexican strats in their own right, in addition to having internal GK pickups installed.

datsunrobbie

Quote from: myksara on October 11, 2012, 11:11:48 PM
Hows the neck n fingerboard feel n radius etc?...

GC1 has 9.5" radius, same spec as your Classic Player, with one more fret.

I have not played a GC1, but I owned a Mexican RR Strat. It was nice, but not the same feel as my American Standard Strat. I ended up installing a GK-2a in my American Standard and selling the RR Strat, and the guy who bought it says it is the better-playing guitar. I would not sell either of your guitars without playing the GC1 you are getting first. CNC machines should roll out the same guitar over and over, but there is something that keeps this from being true. I don't know why this is, but being made of wood probably has a lot to do with it. Try 10 new strats at a store and chances are you will find at least one that stands out, either as the best or worst of the bunch, before even plugging in to an amp.

myksara

Thanks to everyone for the comments..
I am now thinking between the Gc1-sunburst with rosewood fingerboard
Or a PRS SE SANTANA with an external gk pickup mounted on it.

just need some thoughts as to which option would you prefer..

I know that what feels best to me should be picked up,but here in india,
I don't have any store close by to try out..so it is going to be an online purchase.

what leans me towards a prs se santana is the excellent reviews n orange color with easy access to the
Upper registers..but not sure if there is space on it between the bridge n pickup to mount the externsl gk3
As for the gc1..only factor that i find gud is that its a gk ready strat..but i hate both the colours...help me.with your suggestions please
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

gvidelock

This last weekend I installed Graph Tech Ghost saddles and a hexpander in my American Tele. I had installed Joe Barden pickups last year and love playing the Tele. I hated having the GK pickup and control box and cable from the standard pickups. I also have a Godin Freeway and a Godin Spectrum with everything built-in. They look much cleaner this way.

I lined up the 13-pin connector cavity with the end of the Tele control box, so the hole was easy to chisel out. Only problem with the location is that all of my guitar stands interfere with the cable. I'll have to get one of those ones that holds the guitar by the neck.

The first pot next to the 3-way switch is the patch volume. I used concentric pots for volume and tone of the mag pickups. I did not mix in the piezo's as another source. I figured that when I use the mags only I'll be playing it as a Tele and when I want acoustic guitar sounds I'll use the GR-55.

I had seen Jeff Miller's fantastic tutorial on how he added the system to a Tele. But I waited too long to do this transformation and it looks like his website is down. I had to do it mostly from memory and from watching the YouTube video of the Strat installation.

I took the guitar and GR-55 to practice Tuesday night and used the Barden's through a patch for a Clean Twin and just loved that Tele sound. The acoustic guitar sounds are sounding more authentic too.

I'm finding that the tracking is so much better that I feel more confident in playing some of the piano and organ patches in the background behind the other guitarist.
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

PekkaM

Quote from: Lizod on March 27, 2012, 03:28:10 AM
Ibanez J-Custom JCRG21B - This is a great guitar, it was the first GK guitar by Ibanez they built only a handful, and were shown at NAMM 2001. The J-Customs are often used to test designs that filter into the normal production models. It has a five piece maple & bubinga thru neck, and bubinga body with a spruce top and hollow section between the pickups. Dimarzio PAF Pros, Lo Pro Edge trem, and an ebony fretboard:

Looking good! I have the A variant:

cell7

Quote from: PekkaM on October 22, 2012, 11:07:44 AM
Looking good! I have the A variant:

nice - i love the neck on these machines.

PekkaM

Quote from: cell7 on October 22, 2012, 02:43:54 PM
nice - i love the neck on these machines.

Yeah, neck through is very nice indeed even if not significantly easier on access when compared to Ibanez All Access Neck Joint. Beats the old blocky joint easily however.

audiotrax

Man all the guitars on this page are just beautiful!  Especially those Tele's.  Thanks for sharing your pics.
Owner of: VG-88, GI-10, Cubase 5, Kontakt, SampleTank, var VSTI's, Roland JV1080.  Strat with GK-2A, two Roland GR500 analog guitar synths

Mrchevy

Hey all, just thought I'd share the newest addition to my family, Schecter Hellraiser, now equipped with a GK3. Aslo my first 24 fret guitar and lovin it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

montyrivers

Quote from: Mrchevy on November 17, 2012, 05:18:15 PM
Hey all, just thought I'd share the newest addition to my family, Schecter Hellraiser, now equipped with a GK3. Aslo my first 24 fret guitar and lovin it.

Looks good!  Hid the wire under the bracket pretty well, there.  Hellraisers are great guitars.

Mrchevy

Thanks montyrivers, I've eyed them for a while but never pulled the trigger. I actually traded my Mustang IV amp for it so no money out of pocket. My only gripe on it was the string spacing at the nut end ( pretty narrow). I looked at that and thought, you know, there is enough space between the outer strings and the edge of the fret board that they could have cut the string slots with a little more spacing. So I picked up a graphite nut blank and made a new one. I had string buzz from the strings vibrating against my fingernails. Not any more. I would have never thought that 3/32 of an inch overall wider string spacing would make such a difference. Plays like butter now.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones