MIDI Speed Tests - Yamaha G50 10 ms Axon Response - Faster than GR-55 Roland etc

Started by drjoness2001, April 11, 2012, 06:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drjoness2001

Hello all! I wasn't sure where to post this, but I finally got around to testing a piece of Axon gear in my MIDI speed tests. Using Axon technology, the G-50 is easily 10 ms faster than the average stuff out there. I was a bit surprised. I wondered if the guitar itself made any difference, so I tried four guitars, and the results were about the same in every case, around 10 ms - 11 ms. I tried GK-2A and GK-3, fixed and floating bridge, etc.

http://www.joness.com/gr300/MIDI_SPEED.htm

And...the G50 is for sale now on ebay! Look for Yamaha G50. The unit is in mint condition, but I lean more towards modeling than pitch-to-MIDI, since piano is my first instrument.

arkieboy

Hi Wayne

Glad you finally got your hands on an Axon unit :-)

There is something that Andras said about tracking that makes a great deal of sense in retrospect: it's not just the speed of response but the consistency that makes a good pitch to midi convertor.  I've always thought the GM70 was a better unit than either the GR700 or the GR50 because while slow, it felt very predictable - that is the variability of the delay time was small despite the longer delay in recognition.  If the delay is predictable you can get used to it ...

Do you have any such data on the Roland units?

Thanks

Steve
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

whippinpost91850

I used a Gm70 for over15 years and i did feel I had more control(in some ways) then my gri,33,or 55

arkieboy

....  oh and were any of those guitars piezo equipped?

I find my Brian Moore to be so much more dependable with my AX100 MkII than any of my guitars equipped with a GK3.

Steve
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

audiotrax

That was really useful information.  Vewy interwesting....
So the GI-20 isn't really any different from the GI-10?

Yes, I would be really curious to see what the figures are with a piezo equipped guitar.  The low notes on my ghost equipped nylon feel like they respond twice as fast as the gk pickup.
Owner of: VG-88, GI-10, Cubase 5, Kontakt, SampleTank, var VSTI's, Roland JV1080.  Strat with GK-2A, two Roland GR500 analog guitar synths

germanicus

I have a yamaha g50, and unfortunately my particular experience with the g50 is that it does not seem faster/more accurate than my gr55. I havent run a hard numbers test like Wayne has, mainly because I found it much more prone to false triggers.

FWIW the g50 is based on an early version of the axon algorithms.
It doesnt work properly with piezo based 13 pin guitars.
Axons had an update that allowed Piezo usage, but the g50 never got that update.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

musicman65

My stuff always works the best when its for sale! LOL...just kidding. The Axion algorithm is known for its speed. A quick Google search shows it is a good technology with many users and ahead of its time. Too bad they went out of business...Roland is the last of the old skool midi guitar makers.

bd

WV

Looks like Axon technology is alive and well here:
???????2012NAMM : FISHMAN Triple Play

The AXON AX-100 worked much better with piezo-equipped guitars (Godin, Brian Moore) vs a GK pickup.
I spends too many hours over several months trying to zero in on optimal settings.

Funny thing: I picked up a GI-20 about 3 years ago, and within a couple of hours, found a sensitivity and Play Free preset combo that put me in the ball park. Haven't looked back since.

Using my Godin LGX-SA, I can play  bass lines using the open low E and A strings. No problem.

Loaded 2012 Mac Mini, OSX 10.10.5, Logic 10.2, DP8.x, Cubase8.x, Godin LGX-SA+MIDI Guitar App+ Boss GP10, JTV59+FTP,

Elantric

Yes I filmed this video at 2012 Winter NAMM - its on my Youtube channel

Be sure to read the latest developments on the Fishman Tripple Play thread here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5188.0

Hopefully it will ship before the end of the year - Last I heard was October 2012.

MPDmike

This guy in the video demos should be mentioned. His name is Burr Johnson, and he is a great demonstrator of MIDI guitar stuff. He got me into the AXON system, after I saw him at a Wembley music equipment exhibition in 2004.

WV

Quote from: Elantric on June 30, 2012, 07:32:01 AM
Yes I filmed this video at 2012 Winter NAMM - its on my Youtube channel
That must have been an exciting-as-hell moment!!!

QuoteBe sure to read the latest developments on the Fishman Tripple Play thread here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5188.0

Hopefully it will ship before the end of the year - Last I heard was October 2012.
Will do.
I'm dying for it's release, but better that it come out right the first time.
Loaded 2012 Mac Mini, OSX 10.10.5, Logic 10.2, DP8.x, Cubase8.x, Godin LGX-SA+MIDI Guitar App+ Boss GP10, JTV59+FTP,

WV

Quote from: WV on June 30, 2012, 07:34:49 PM
That must have been an exciting-as-hell moment!!!
Will do.
I'm dying for it's release, but better that it come out right the first time.

Burr Johnson really inspired me as well.

I watched his videos before and after I purchased an AX-100 in '06?

He seems so darn relaxed, having fun playing incredibly fast and complex passages.

Spider

Quote from: germanicus on April 12, 2012, 05:01:17 AM
I have a yamaha g50, and unfortunately my particular experience with the g50 is that it does not seem faster/more accurate than my gr55. I havent run a hard numbers test like Wayne has, mainly because I found it much more prone to false triggers.

FWIW the g50 is based on an early version of the axon algorithms.
It doesnt work properly with piezo based 13 pin guitars.
Axons had an update that allowed Piezo usage, but the g50 never got that update.

As I read (Axon Rep on Axon forum) G50 has the same algorithm (same speed) like Axon 100. G50 doesn't support piezzo like wrote Germanicus.
In may opinion G50 is faster (low E, A) then GR55 esp. when GR trigger external synth but isn't better then GR55. I finally sold G50 because GR55 is more playable i.e. less glitches etc.

Elantric

Additional MIDI Speed Tests

Final Latency Shootout: GR-55, Fishman TriplePlay, MIDI Guitar 64
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10700.0

and report download links
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=83