iConnectivity iConnectMIDI 4+

Started by mdortona, July 19, 2013, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

This post explains the iConnectMIDI4+ 's Audio Features and how they work
http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/4326#Item_62122
Hi @Syrupcore , @Zymos

OK. Each iPad at 16/44.1 has 4 audio channels of input and 4 of output. You can use them as 4 mono channels or 2 stereo pairs. That's 2 pairs of stereo in and 2 pairs of stereo out - per iPad. And - you have the same on the PC/Mac connection, i.e. two pairs of stereo in and two pairs of stereo out. As you change the bit depth / sample rate combinations in the iConfig setup up or down you will affect how many audio channels you can combine together. I have used - and been happy with using - the default which is what I just described, but, for example, if you take the bit depth higher to 24 or the sample rate higher to 48 or more, you will reduce the number of simultaneously supported audio channels per iPad and for the PC/Mac connection.

This is a reasonable compromise in my mind, because if you consider that not only is the box streaming this audio bidirectionally in whatever combination you select in the iConfig audio patchbay, it's also handling potentially multiway bidirectional MIDI as well. So, it's pushing a lot of data around at the same time.

Either in the next video demo (or the one after) I hope to show the iConfig app in a bit more detail. In this first one I was just showcasing what can be done.

As far as the output is concerned from the iPads. Let me take Cubasis as an example. If you look at the Cubasis output routing, you'll probably know you can send the audio output of a given track to whichever output channels you have supported by external hardware. For jack output this is normally a single stereo pair. With the iCM4+ connected, and using the default setup I've described above a given track could be sent to one of two possible stereo pairs (nominally 1+2 or 3+4 in Cubasis). You can then route those in the iConfig app, and in your DAW to different stereo input channels.

However, the PC/Mac connection also only has 4 channels (or if you like again, 2 stereo pairs for input and 2 for output) - not 8 - so you can route 2 channels of stereo from an iPad on port 1 (as in my Cubasis example above) or 2 channels of stereo from an iPad on port 2 or a combination of a stereo pair from each, or any other combination up to 4 channels of audio - e.g. mono from iPad 1 (say for a guitar part) + 3 from iPad 2 (say for a bass + stereo synth).

Here's a couple of screen captures of the audio patchbay the way I currently have it configured - which is a stereo output channel from each of the iPads to a stereo pair in to the Mac (USB 3). I also show the drop down for the first of those USB 3 connections too so you can see what you can route:

Elantric

And SonoSaurus wrote>
http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/4326/iconnectimidi4-now-available-for-order/p2
sonosaurussonosaurus April 25 +1 -1
OK, I have the ICM4+ now, and everything seems to work as I expected it would!

I was correct that when plugging an iPad with a CCK into a USB hub's host port, then plugging the ICM4+ into that hub using one of its normal jacks, and disabling the iOS audio for that jack in the ICM4+ config software, I can plug in my Focusrite USB interface into the hub and iOS uses it just fine. Along with the 16 new midi ports exposed by the connected ICM4+ :) No charging, of course.

I also tested the pass thru audio implementation by plugging the iPad directly into the ICM4+ using their shipped 30pin->USB cable (along with my Apple lightning to 30pin cable) and it does indeed seem to work well. I had a MacBook Pro plugged in to the ICM4+ as well, and using an AU Lab setup (with the ICM4+ audio channels as input, and my main audio interface as output) I could monitor the audio from the iPad through my studio monitors. Since this is software monitoring, both the buffer size on the iPad as well as the buffer size configured in your Mac/PC audio setup (AU Lab in my example) will affect the resulting latency, which I did not measure for accuracy, but seemed reasonable. The ICM4+ manual states that the additional latency it adds itself is configurable to be 1 to 4 samples (which is pretty minuscule in the scheme of things). I created a few aggregate devices too on the Mac, so a DAW can have access to all the usual I/O in your main interface as well as the channels from the ICM4+. Incidentally, this pass thru setup worked just as well when I had the iPad connected via CCK to the hub, and ICM4+ connected to that with the iOS audio option turned on. No real reason why you would do this in practice, because you lose charging.

After just this short time testing, it's great to be able to go back and forth between a bunch of controllers and drive iOS apps, Mac apps, and hardware synths (simultaneously if I want to) without re-wiring anything physically. Now to keep plugging more stuff in and figuring out the software routing config that works best.....

Elantric

http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/iconnectmidi4_preliminary_review_part_3_video_iphone_control_surface_latency_iconfig/

iConnectMIDI4+ Preliminary Review - part 3 - Video: iPhone, Control Surface, Latency, iConfig
Four new items on the iConnectMIDI4+
In the first video I had mentioned four items that in the end I didn't get to in that initial video overview and demonstration but I wanted to cover, and so here we are again in a second shorter video that address those.
Here, we take a look at:
o Connecting iPhones as well as iPads (Two different iPhones via both 30 pin and lightning adapters)
o Using a MIDI controller in more depth - the transparency of MIDI via the iConnectMIDI4+
o Latency - a simple measurement to show how low it is with the device
o An overview of iConfig - the new features for the iConnectMIDI4+
So, without further ado - enjoy - and thanks for watching! :-)
- See more at: http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/iconnectmidi4_preliminary_review_part_3_video_iphone_control_surface_latency_iconfig/#sthash.POLwKqIV.dpuf

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Elantric

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/not-all-of-the-usb-jacks-on-my-iconnectivity-iconnectmidi4-are-charging-my-ios-device/
Not all of the USB jacks on my iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ are charging my iOS device.
Article #1723013
The three USB Device jacks behave differently in regards to charging iOS devices.

Jack 1 will charge any iOS device.
Jack 2 will charge an iPhone or iPod Touch, but it will only keep an iPad charged (meaning battery life will not increase or decrease).
Jack 3 does not provide charging power.

iConnectMIDI4+ Owners Manual
http://iconnectivity.com/downloads/iConnectMIDI4/ICM4+%20MANUAL%20PAGES%204.23.14%2030pin.pdf

USB Device jacks!
PLEASE NOTE THE DIFFERENCE IN CHARGING CAPABILITIES
BETWEEN THE THREE USB DEVICE JACKS!! !
These jacks accept a USB B-standard plug for audio and MIDI
connection to a Mac or Windows computer, or the iConnectivity
Lightning or 30-pin to USB (B) connector for both audio and MIDI
connection to an iOS device. MIDI is transmitted at full USB speed.
Jack 1 provides 2.1 amps; it will charge any iOS device.
Jack 2 provides 1.0 amps, enough to charge an iPhone or iPod Touch,
and enough prevent a iPad (which takes more power) from discharging
more than about 1-2% per hour. !
Jack 3 (rear panel) provides no charging power, so given a choice you
would use it for a Mac or Windows computer.!
12 USB Host jack!
This jack accepts USB MIDI Class-Compliant devices (only). Its primary
function is to accept a MIDI controller that uses USB MIDI rather than 5-
pin DIN connections, however it is not limited to controllers.!
The USB Host jack provides up to eight banks of 16 MIDI channels,
which are enabled/disabled in the iCon?g software. These may be eight
jacks on one device, one jack on eight devices, or four jacks on two
devices.
Note:!
- THE USB HOST JACK IS NOT A STANDARD USB HUB JACK. It
accepts USB Class-Compliant MIDI devices only. Standard USB
devices like printers, keyboards, and mice will not work! Audio is not
routed over this jack.!
- This jack supplies a limited amount of current - up to 500mA - to USB
MIDI devices. You will need a powered USB hub to power multiple
devices (unless they have external power supplies).!
Audio is not routed over the network.!
Please see the separate section on the Network MIDI feature for set-up
instructions.!

Elantric

I finally got my IconnectMIDI 4+

Have not had much time to play with it yet - but the hardware has a good build quality, and there are many ways to implement this in your mixed ipad / Win / Mac music system. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iconnectivity-iconfig/id687451669?mt=8
Connectivity iConfig is a companion app to iConnectivity's MIDI interfaces. iConnectivity iConfig provides access to some sophisticated MIDI features in the iConnectivity MIDI interface connected to your system, as well as the audio settings. It allows you to save and open complete routing and processing Snapshot files that make working with sophisticated systems very simple. You can name inputs, route MIDI selectively, and process MIDI in various ways.

Toff.

This is a great sum of information.
I will head to my local store tomorrow and sample :)

Thanks heaps guys!
Musical regards,

Toff.

Godin nylon ACS special edition (Light Burst Quilted Leaftop), Taylor T5 Classic, Fishman Triple Play, Roland GR-20, Roland GR-55, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Digitech Vocalist Live5, iConnectMidi2+

ITL

I just received my iConnectMIDI4+ and am trying to use it with the FTP plugged directly into the USB Host Jack in the back.  The FTP Receiver dongle isn't lighting up to pair it with the transmitter.  Does anyone know if this port provides enough electricity to power the FTP Receiver dongle? Or do I need to get a powered USB hub in addition?  I hope not in that this wouldn't be ideal for a mobile setup.
Thanks!
LGXTSA, Godin Session Custom TriplePlay w/ Fishman Piezo, JTVariax59, Axe-FXII, Integra 7, Motif XS, VoiceLive 3

admin

http://tripletalk.fishman.com/2013/12/using-tripleplay-directly-with-5-pin-din-external-midi-hardware/

You might have a defective iConnectMIDi4+  - as my FTP Receiver works right away and syncs with FTp controller  when plugged directly into the  iConnectMIDi4+'s ( or original black  iConnectMIDI)   USB Host Port

Be sure you are using the official iConnectMIDi4+ power supply too.

And read the FAQ above regarding the iConnectMIDI4+ Host Port

And read the FTP+ iConnectMIDI4+ success stories form other users.

=========
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9050.msg81711#msg81711

<kingjahrome wrote>
QuoteAs mentioned in previous posts Sweetwater showed them in stock this week, and I just received one yesterday.

It worked out of the box with Fishman Triple Play triggering a late 90's Yamaha PSR530 keyboard, and no computer connected.  Pretty nice!

Have not used any other features yet but I plan to use the iPad integration as well for recording midi and softsynths into Ableton and Sonar.

Elantric

Longer review of iConnectMIDI 4+
http://practicalusage.com/?p=1056

rmbaylin

Looking for an answer and setup info .please.

Using an iConnectivity 4+ and my iPad Air via CCK and USB cable I am able to get my GR55 to switch patches. 

My understanding is that I can connect a wireless router to the iConnectivity 4+ and use it to receive midi and then route that out to the GR55.   

I don't see any info in the manual, and I've tried a bunch of things to no avail.

Is this possible to do?

For reference:

ipad (192.168.1.98) connects to the router (192.168.1.1). The iConnectivity  (192.168.1.106) is cabled from router port to network jack.   I can log into the wireless router web page via the iPad.    I am not sure how to ping using the iPad, but I can do it from my laptop (192.168.1.43) when I connect it to the same wireless unit and get a ping back from the iConnectivity 4+.   So it looks like I have properly configured and connected. 

I am I missing some piece of s/w or a config setting, or am I stuck using the cable?

BackDAWman

I've never tried this myself but I would suggest using Midibridge to connect your wireless midi network to whatever app/s you are running on the iPad

mooncaine

Quote from: ITL on July 05, 2014, 06:26:26 PM
I just received my iConnectMIDI4+ and am trying to use it with the FTP plugged directly into the USB Host Jack in the back.  The FTP Receiver dongle isn't lighting up to pair it with the transmitter.  Does anyone know if this port provides enough electricity to power the FTP Receiver dongle?

This may be too late for you, but helpful for others: two quotes from the manual that answer your question.

QuoteTHE USB HOST JACK IS NOT A STANDARD USB HUB JACK. It accepts USB Class - Compliant MIDI devices only. Standard USB devices like printers, keyboards, and mice will not work! Audio is not routed over this jack.

This jack supplies a limited amount of current - up to 500mA - to USB MIDI devices. You will need a powered USB hub to power multiple devices (unless they have external power supplies).

The manual also says that you can host up to 8 USB MIDI devices on that jack, if you put them on a powered hub and plug that powered hub into that jack.

Elantric

We get a few folks who post:

Quote" Help - Fishman Tripleplay USB Receiver does not work with IConnectMIDI 4+"

Which is typically due to pilot error . The  Fishman Tripleplay USB Receiver is a USB Class Compliant "MIDI over USB" device - needs no USB driver to work with OSX, IOS, Android, Linux, Raspberry Pi, Kenton USB Host to MIDI adapter, Disaster Area Ghost Converter, , ,
and

IConnectMIDI 4+ ( using the rear USB Host Port

and the original Black 2010 era IconnectMIDI

Only iConnectMIDI box that is NOT compatible is  IConnectMIDI 2+  - since that model does NOT have a USB host port.

ITL

I don't know if it is a quality control issue or just bad luck, but I tried two different iConnectMidi 4+'s  with my FTP and they wouldn't power the receiver, so I sent them back and bought the Kenton USB Host mkII and it works fine. 
LGXTSA, Godin Session Custom TriplePlay w/ Fishman Piezo, JTVariax59, Axe-FXII, Integra 7, Motif XS, VoiceLive 3

Elantric

QuoteI don't know if it is a quality control issue or just bad luck, but I tried two different iConnectMidi 4+'s  with my FTP and they wouldn't power the receiver, so I sent them back and bought the Kenton USB Host mkII and it works fine.

I remember that !

Weird  -and i trust you were using the supplied  iConnectMidi 4+ AC Power Supply?

Also here is a useful thread at KVR for details on iConnectMIDI4+ Audio pass thru between iPad and Windows using ASIO4ALL
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5860388

Elantric

Been playing more with my iConnectMidi 4+

Just want to point out, my iConnectMidi 4+( along with my 3 year old 1st gen Black iConnectMIDI both work 100% with the Fishman Tripleplay USB Receiver to send MIDi data to external hardware synths - as well as working as USB Class Compliant MIDI interfaces for IOS/ANDROID/WIN/OSX.

Even my old  1st gen Black iConnectMIDI is recognized and works with my new iPhone 6 Plus under IOS 8.1.2

Both iConnectMidi 4+, and 1st gen iConnectMIDI work as "USB Host to MIDI" hardware converters  - even lets my Line6  FBV Shortboard MKII control my IOS Apps - like Jamup Pro and Yonac ToneStack
One important thing to remember - you must update the Fishman Tripleplay to latest firmware using a PC/Mac - and perform the necessary FTP Controller / FTP Receiver Wireless "Pairing" procedure BEFORE you try to connect FTP to iConnectMIDI

Spider

Quote from: Elantric on January 13, 2015, 12:38:13 PM

One important thing to remember - you must update the Fishman Tripleplay to latest firmware using a PC/Mac - and perform the necessary FTP Controller / FTP Receiver Wireless "Pairing" procedure BEFORE you try to connect FTP to iConnectMIDI

Why updated is necessary?

Elantric

Because there is no guaranty how long the FTP has been sitting on the dealer shelf, There is a chance you could have a FTP built back in Feb 2013 and myself, I experience tracking has improved and :bugs: have been solved over the course of FTP firmware updates.

read Firmware release Notes here
http://www.fishman.com/articles/fishman-releases-12-update-of-its-powerful-tripleplay-software

Elantric

Up to now Ive been Been using my Lighting USB Camera Adapter to connect my iConnectMIDI 4+

If you were an early adopter of the iConnectMIDI 4+  - you might need one of these for the  best possible performance Lightning connection to a modern IOS device - they are now available

http://www.fullcompass.com/search.php?parent=471&search_simple=true&txtAll=ICONNECT-LIGHTNG-CAB

This Lightning Connection Cable for your iConnectMIDI2+ or iConnectMIDI4+ is an Inline iOS Connection Cable that connects the iConnectMIDI2+ and the iConnectMIDI4+ through USB Type B ports to your iOS device including iPod touch, iPhone and iPad through the Lightning dock connector, giving you the best possible performance. Designed for indoor use only.

I ordered one of these last week - and it shipped today

whippinpost91850

Elantric

1 meter - but this Lighting Extender cable makes it longer

http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Extension-Through-dockXtender-CableJive/dp/B00KH09Q5S/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1421262059&sr=1-3

Lightning Extension Cable (6 foot Black) for iPhone 6, 6 Plus; Pass Video, Data, Audio Through Male to Female 8-pin Cable. dockXtender for Lightning by CableJive.

Elantric

tracy

After almost a year of being away from the whole iOS/guitar setup, I finally got around to getting an iCM4 today. About to start experimenting and putting a rig back together. Glad to have this thread as a resource.

Just to check, in the interim have any other devices become available that charge the iPad while passing through the USB? Thats really all I was originally looking for.

But plugging my MacBook in to the setup through USB should be fun to explore.
@tracyevans    •     http://www.exhibitry.com

Vade

@"Just to check, in the interim have any other devices become available that charge the iPad while passing through the USB? Thats really all I was originally looking for."

There's the audio version to consider...

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectAUDIO4plus

•Multi-host Device ports – use 2 computer devices (Mac/PC/iOS) at the same time
•Audio passThru™ routes audio digitally between computer devices
•Host port for connecting up to 8 MIDI peripherals (with Class-compliant devices connected to a powered hub)
•4 XLR ¼" TRS combo analog inputs, each with individual +48V phantom power toggle
•4 ¼" TRS balanced analog outputs
•¼" Headphone output with independent mix
•29 routable MIDI ports: Mac, PC, iOS, 5 pin MIDI DIN and class compliant USB MIDI devices
•1 X 1 MIDI DIN in/out
•iConfig software (Mac, Windows, iOS) makes it simple to set up filtering/routing/merging
•High-resolution audio - up to 24-bit/96kHz AD/DA conversion
•USB audio and MIDI Class-Compliant – no drivers needed

•Charges an iOS device
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

tracy

Quote from: Vade on March 14, 2015, 12:05:04 PM
There's the audio version to consider...
http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectAUDIO4plus

I had forgotten about this one. Not surprising considering it was announced over a year ago and has yet to ship. Oh, iConnectivity, you are such a tease.

Thanks for reminding me. This one is a much better fit for my needs than the one will all those MIDI DIN plugs. I have placed my pre-order and will be returning the iCM4.

Happily, it looks like I won't have to wait much longer. At about 7:15 in the video below from late January the iConnectivity rep says they are "on the water now" (literally on a slow boat from China) and should "hit the streets in about 6 to 8 weeks." And that was 6 weeks ago!

@tracyevans    •     http://www.exhibitry.com