iConnectivity iConnectMIDI 4+

Started by mdortona, July 19, 2013, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

These iConnectMIDI 4+ reviews must be from beta testers - All the USA Retailers and correspondence with iConnectMIDI USA will still not confirm a delivery date   

GovernorSilver

Yeah, Derek Jones (Music Inclusive) is a beta tester, and has been beta-testing some IOS apps as well.

rolandvg99

According to Scandinavian distributor, Luthman, I'm scheduled to receive mine in 2-3 weeks. Close to 9 months since I placed my pre-order...  8)
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

tracy

My guy at Sweetwater tells me that the IconnectMIDI 4+'s have arrived.
@tracyevans    •     http://www.exhibitry.com

Elantric

Published on Apr 28, 2014
While being in Asheville for Moogfest, I showed the powerful iConnectMIDI4+ to Sally Sparks in her studio. We went through every step of setting it up to integrate two iPads into her existing workflow. In the end, Sally tries out iMini with a regular MIDI keyboard and takes a trip down memory lane.

GuitarBuilder

Ordered mine from Sweetwater today.  Who wants my old iConnectMIDI2+?
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Elantric

My dealer states there are delays in getting iConnectMIDI products into USA.

they're in canada and there are import issues)

But the good news is my dealer should have it next week.

thebrushwithin

I received mine 2 days ago, but unfortunately, haven't had time to try it out. I bought it at Sweetwater, on Tuesday, and had free 1 day delivery. They actually exist!!! I was beginning to wonder.

rolandvg99

Still playing the waiting game... And still wonder if I should cancel or not. They removed the option to add audio through the USB host port the day they announced the  iConnectAudio4 . Bummer...

Elantric

Quote. They removed the option to add audio through the USB host port the day they announced the  iConnectAudio4 . Bummer...

IconnectMIDI 4+ Owners Manual is here
http://iconnectivity.com/downloads/iConnectMIDI4/ICM4+%20MANUAL%20PAGES%204.23.14%2030pin.pdf

http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/

Each has access to bidirectional pass through audio and MIDI and both can talk to the connected devices. So, extending the scenario just posed - you could connect two iPads in a live situation, have one control half of your synths and USB controllers and the other control the other half. Or both have access to both. It's pretty amazing what this opens up in terms or possibilities! It doesn't stop there. Of course you can also connect a PC or Mac as well. Now you have incredibly easy multiway bidirectional digital pass through audio and MIDI routing options that have no parallel anywhere else in the current audio world in a single low-cost device like the iConnectMIDI4+ to the best of my knowledge.
Not only can you route from the PC/Mac to / from each iPad (or how about one iPad and one iPhone?...) you can also - sit down for this one - route digital pass through audio between the two iPads. Wow! Now, Audiobus 2 has just recently hit the streets and it is a fantastic piece of enabling technology that allows you to set up multiple audio chains between apps inside an iPad - if you aren't using it you should be! :-) However, with increased app routing you are going to begin to tax even very capable iPad Airs at some point, and if you have lower specification iPads, you can now use each one to their respective optimum potential by setting up an Audiobus chain inside each one to whatever each can handle and then chaining the audio out from one into the audio in to another via the iConnectMIDI4+ directly.
Wow!
Did I mention Wow! .... ?

In the second video installment I'll hopefully demonstrate using alternate devices such as iPhones in combination with iPads and also audio passthru between two iOS devices. Exciting stuff! :-)
- See more at: http://www.musicinclusive.com/blog/#sthash.J3fyBCuo.dpuf

rolandvg99

Yes, Steve, still amazing, but the original design was also said to bring in audio from a class compliant audio card through the USB host port which now is dumbed down to MIDI only. Guess I'm still on.  :)

Elantric

Quotebut the original design was also said to bring in audio from a class compliant audio card through the USB host port

I never heard that iConnectMIDI4+ ever supported that feature specification.

Curious where you read that?

rolandvg99

Quote from: Elantric on May 02, 2014, 10:28:29 AM
I never heard that iConnectMIDI4+ ever supported that feature specification.

Curious where you read that?

It was mentioned in an early conversation on their facebook page.

thebrushwithin

First time use update. Well....so far my new unit is not going so well. I registered , and proceeded to the download page for the iConfig program for my iMac, when you press the download button, all you see is the endless code written, and no way to download anything. Great....so, next I downloaded the iPad iConfig, which went fine, HOWEVER, even though I used the front usb din 1, which also charges the iPad2, using their supplied USB to30 pin connection cable, whenever I touch one of the app's menu items, it says "No iConnectmidi detected". So, I already opened a support ticket. On a happier note, I opened Ableton Live 8, loaded in Omnisphere, and Wavestation, plugged my FTP USB dongle into the back USB port, on the IC4+, and it works beautifully, and all iConnect's ports show up as options in. I had a terrible time getting sound from my iPad2 apps, as the FTP is giving signal visually, but no sound through headphones. So, I had to set up the audio output in Ableton Live8 to iConnectmidi4+ and ...voila, my Z3TA+, and each of my iMac synths all work well. Whenever they get back to me about the iConfig situation, I'll report back, cause right now, I am flying blind without it.

Elantric

Quote, and proceeded to the download page for the iConfig program for my iMac, when you press the download button, all you see is the endless code written, and no way to download anything.

Works here

Right click and save  this
http://www.iconnectivity.com/downloads/software/mac/iConnectivity%20iConfig_v3.dmg

or
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=76

or
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=76

thebrushwithin

QuoteRight click and save  this
http://www.iconnectivity.com/downloads/software/mac/iConnectivity%20iConfig_v3.dmg

Thanks, I was just clicking on the download button, which shows the actual code.

GuitarBuilder

Got mine today in the mail.  Started experimenting with it - have iPad audio streaming back into DAW on Mac.  However, the sounds starts degrading over time with crackling and echo.  Any thoughts on what the cause may be?  I only get that with the synths, not when I play music on the iPad.

Elantric

Probably need to increase the Audio Buffer size in iConnectMIDI4+ Control Panel Setup app.

And be sure you are running latest firmware.  I expect there will be a new firmware version every few months.

thebrushwithin

Had the same experience, as my synths I use in Ableton work great with a setting of 64, but the iPad synth was popping, so increasing the buffer in Ableton to 128, has cured it.

Orren Merton

Does anyone know yet how the IconnectMIDI 4+ handles word clock? Or does it?

Thanks,
Orren

Elantric

Probably write their customer service.

I imagine an IPad/ iConnectMIDI 4+ Feeding an OSX Mac DAW employs and acts same as any other USB Audio interface being used as an OSX aggregate audio device when combined with your existing Appogee Quartet. They describe the typical connection strategy in the iConnectMIDI 4+ Manual.

kingjahrome

As mentioned in previous posts Sweetwater showed them in stock this week, and I just received one yesterday.

It worked out of the box with Fishman Triple Play triggering a late 90's Yamaha PSR530 keyboard, and no computer connected.  Pretty nice!

Have not used any other features yet but I plan to use the iPad integration as well for recording midi and softsynths into Ableton and Sonar.

GuitarBuilder

Still testing my newly received iConnectMIDI4+.  So far all is working right, except for using TriplePlay software with FTP.  I keep getting "Receiver not found".  FTP triggers my iPad and hardware synths just fine.

Elantric

Quoteexcept for using TriplePlay software with FTP.  I keep getting "Receiver not found".

Since the iConnectMIDI 4+ is not a USB Hub, why would you expect that to work?
For many of us the whole point of the iConnectMIDI4+ is it's ability to function as a USB Host to 5 pin MIDI Converter, which allows the FTP to directly drive hardware Synths without a computer.

rolandvg99

Confirmation of what I thought I read a year ago. Taken from the discussion going on over at the Audibus forums.
http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/4326#Item_62122

MarcoMarco May 1 +1 -1

Hey all -
Here's the convo I had with iConnectivity re: connecting USB audio interfaces to the 4+ host port ->
Me - Just got a copy of the draft 4+ manual. I recall in a previous conversation some time ago where it was stated that a class-compliant USB audio interface could be connected to the USB host port. But the manual says, MIDIonly. Can someone please clarify? April 24 at 6:22pm
iConnectivity - in the early days of planning the iCM4+ we had intended to do this. When we got someways into development we realized it was going to be difficult (possibly impossible) to accomplish with the processors we are using for the iCM4+. We decided not to start over with the design and proceed without that feature. We still are continuing to look into this for a future firmware update but again it might not even be possible with the current hardware configuration. April 25 at 12:20pm
Now I have a 4+ here, boxed up and ready for return due to the above convo. BUT, I also have an Apogee Duet IOS that will arrive tomorrow. I got to thinking...being that the Duet (1) charges the iPad with it's AC adapter and (2) has it's own CoreMIDI compliant MIDI port, I wonder if I could simply connect one of the 4+ IOS ports to the Apogee's MIDI port, disable the audio on the 4+ IOS port and have that work. Will let everyone know tomorrow.
Big up sonosaurus! Your findings make it a bit easier to think about canceling my RMA.