You Rock Guitar "Gen 2"

Started by RicardoLove, February 20, 2011, 11:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenSonic

Quote from: polaris20 on February 23, 2011, 03:17:35 PM
Do you have pics of it?
I have pics and have written someone I am in contact with at the company for permission to post it here.

Elantric

QuoteThe info I have on the You Rock Guitar SE scheduled for release "later this year"  is that it is equipped with an "eccelerometer for bend and modulation"

Not functional 6 weeks ago -

The good news is they  pruned the staff late last year, and perhaps they will finally offer a product that matches the hyperbole.

tracy

Quote from: Elantric on February 23, 2011, 03:36:54 PM
The Fretboard is a pressure sensitive myler overlay on a plastic removable neck

How do those membranes feel for playing? I really am liking the feel of the Fender Mustang which has individual easily mashable buttons.
@tracyevans    •     http://www.exhibitry.com

Elantric

Its ok for something i paid under $199 for  - it has 21 frets too. However, due to the non repeatable balistics/dynamic sensitivity  of the YRG plucking strings , for most players  it works best to think of the YRG as  a " EVH  / Michael Hedges MIDI Tapper" - and skip using the YRG strings entirely.

Probably better to seek more YRG details over at this link to their forum:
http://www.yourockguitar.com/forum/

and
YRG GenII here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6204.0

As a grab & go headphone practice tool, the YRG + my Ipod(Iphone)+ headphones + a short 3.5mm TRS cable (to feed output of Ipod to the "mix in" input on the YRG, are all i need to learn tunes with while camping.

ZenSonic

Elantric

QuoteView yrgse.png in slide show

Retry posting your pics?

FWIW - I like www.photobucket.com, then i simply insert a URL link to the photo.

Elantric

The YRG SE pro model is over on the far right - Cliff Elion is in the center - he's the main guru at YRG.

:

polaris20

Quote from: ZenSonic on February 23, 2011, 03:48:50 PM
The info I have on the You Rock Guitar SE scheduled for release "later this year"  is that it is equipped with an "eccelerometer for bend and modulation". I am not sure what that is???

Hopefully they've gotten better with time estimates. :D

Quote from: Elantric on February 23, 2011, 04:51:08 PM
The YRG SE pro model is over on the far right - Cliff Elion is in the center - he's the main guru at YRG.

:

Looks nice! Cliff's actually a really nice guy, and was quite helpful to me over e-mail and on the forum. I hope they got rid of some of the other "interesting people" that I didn't much care for. I truly had high hopes for the thing, but was very disappointed, and the hyperbole coupled with the attitude made matters worse.

Elantric, can you tell me honestly (I trust your opinion, having "known" you awhile on the net) is the YRG now a playable MIDI controller? Have they fixed the string sensitivity issues?

Elantric

QuoteElantric, can you tell me honestly (I trust your opinion, having "known" you awhile on the net) is the YRG now a playable MIDI controller? Have they fixed the string sensitivity issues?

I understand they have released a new firmware update that has addressed the lack of repeatable string dynamics.

Perhaps I'm lucky because I can play my April 2010 era YRG adequately right out of the box.

and read
YRG GenII here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6204.0

res075oh@gte.net

I can program the YRG to output BEADGC six string bass by tuning a patch down -12 after choosing preset #65, which gives you a BEADGC tuning but at the standard guitar octave. Well, unless I've forgotten how to do it in the past couple of months.  However, that is done on board the YRG so I kind of have some remote feeling for how it is done. 

I don't have any of the programs you mention and do not output into a pc.  With the YRG I can run the onboard sounds directly to a bass amp; or I can [IIRC] run the BEADGC bass midi to a hardware synth.

Darned if I can see how my pc would know which string I'm playing when I play an A on the 17th fret of my fifth string [5 string bass] or whether I'm playing an A of the same pitch on the 4th string.  I didn't know that midi would output string information; just note pitch and so on.  But then there's tons I don't know...

Thanks,
James

Quote from: Elantric on February 23, 2011, 10:14:34 AM
On the You Rock Guitar, you can enable a mode where each string has its own MIDI transmit channel

Its simple to perform real time MIDI note transpose +/- 12 semitones  on a string by string basis using Sonar, Logic, Cubase, Reaper, etc

tracy

Quote from: res075oh@gte.net on February 23, 2011, 10:02:51 PM
Darned if I can see how my pc would know which string I'm playing when I play an A on the 17th fret of my fifth string [5 string bass] or whether I'm playing an A of the same pitch on the 4th string.

I can't speak for the Mustang or YRG yet as I have not explored their MIDI implementation, but I am guessing that it is similar to the way that Roland and others have implemented it. The hex pickup (like the Roland GK-3 ) is really six separate analog pickups, one for each string. It "knows" the difference between similar notes because it can tell which string they came from. When the GR-20 converts this to MIDI, it can send the data from each string to a different MIDI channels. This allows for all sorts of cool stuff to happen: different synth sounds on different strings, turning off strings entirely, and alternate tunings.
@tracyevans    •     http://www.exhibitry.com

res075oh@gte.net

The YRG has string triggers and pressure sensitive "frets"; no pickups as such.  However, I can see that a processor could look at each input and determine the string quite easily [effectively as if it were in fact a pickup]; if midi allows that data to be transmitted to a hardware [or software] synth then I can see how it could work.

Regards,
James

Quote from: tracy on February 24, 2011, 12:13:12 AM
I can't speak for the Mustang or YRG yet as I have not explored their MIDI implementation, but I am guessing that it is similar to the way that Roland and others have implemented it. The hex pickup (like the Roland GK-3 ) is really six separate analog pickups, one for each string. It "knows" the difference between similar notes because it can tell which string they came from. When the GR-20 converts this to MIDI, it can send the data from each string to a different MIDI channels. This allows for all sorts of cool stuff to happen: different synth sounds on different strings, turning off strings entirely, and alternate tunings.

RicardoLove

Everybody is talking about string bending...you have to look at as another instrument with guitar type access. The whammy bar can be held in your hand while you pick and used for bend function. Guitar players that play keyboard understand that concept. 

I will say though it seems like we would have a "perfect guitar synth" in 2011! The modeled sounds like the sitar and even the bass are examples of really close expression that a guitar player wants when playing non guitar sounds, so I feel you, but it is what it is...another tool.   Below I am posting a video of my favorite expressive patch that I wish all PCM sounds could do. It has PCM sounds really low but it is a bango patch with ambient fx and PCM sounds at a low volume it's in the ROLAND GR-55 and it's called "Exorbitanz". Forgive the sound quality, it's a cell phone but you can still hear the expressiveness and how it reacts like a guitar does.
email: ricardolovemedia@gmail.com
demo web site: http://www.reverbnation.com/rlove
GR-55 demos http://www.soundcloud.com/ricardolove
For hire Music Producer/Remixer

polaris20

Quote from: RicardoLove on March 12, 2011, 03:45:08 PM
Everybody is talking about string bending...you have to look at as another instrument with guitar type access. The whammy bar can be held in your hand while you pick and used for bend function. Guitar players that play keyboard understand that concept. 

I will say though it seems like we would have a "perfect guitar synth" in 2011! The modeled sounds like the sitar and even the bass are examples of really close expression that a guitar player wants when playing non guitar sounds, so I feel you, but it is what it is...another tool.   Below I am posting a video of my favorite expressive patch that I wish all PCM sounds could do. It has PCM sounds really low but it is a bango patch with ambient fx and PCM sounds at a low volume it's in the ROLAND GR-55 and it's called "Exorbitanz". Forgive the sound quality, it's a cell phone but you can still hear the expressiveness and how it reacts like a guitar does.

Nice playing, Ricardo! And yeah, that's kinda why I sold my YRG's and went back to the GR-30, and now the GR-55 (if it ever comes).

Elantric

New "Gen 2" You Rock Guitar

http://yourockguitar.com/

YouRock Guitar <Gen2>  Product Description

The <Gen2> represents the next step in the evolution of our breakthrough Midi Guitar technology. Building on our patented fingerboard design the <Gen2> introduces new features that make improvements to the core musicality of the product. The <Gen2> retains the main features of the YRG as a no latency MIDI Guitar/Controller with built in music synthesizer in a compact mobile design.

Performance

New <Gen2> pickup system for improved reliability and consistency.
    Firmware improvements to complement the new pickups.

Features

Firmware has been tweaked for a more musical experience. The new Layer and Zone structure allows two sets of sounds to be mapped on the fingerboard per user selection. Other new features: chorus effect, transposition, pan, zones can be stored per layer in the 99 presets.

Sounds

The sounds are all new, through our relationship with professional sample house 'Soundwaves', we have completely reworked the built-in sound library to enhance the stand-alone capability of the YRG <Gen2>.

<Gen2> Features List:
New features indicated by *

HARDWARE :

<Gen2> pickup design*
    Limited Edition Pick Guard* (Limited Edition Only)
    Limited Edition Head Stock*(Limited Edition Only)
    Detachable 22 fret guitar neck for portability
    Whammy bar
    Modulation joystick
    Bridge mute
    Standard ¼" guitar jack
    Stereo mini headphone output
    Stereo line-in for iPods and MP3 players
    High speed USB/MIDI interface
    MIDI output - 5-pin legacy connector
    GameFlex port connects wirelessly to Wii and PS/3 (Gameflex cartridge sold separately)
    Uses 4xAA batteries or USB power (sold separately)

FIRMWARE :       

Player Performance

Slides up and down neck easier and more consistent*
    Adjustable open damping*
    Adjustable crosstalk filter*
    Monophonic mode (like a single voice synth)*
    Tracking and playability/feel improvements*

MIDI Control

New MIDI controller mode supports DAW's like Ableton Live!*
    User defined Joystick to MIDI controller mapping*
    Body Switches to MIDI controller (on/off) mapping*
    MIDI program change stored in presets
    MIDI mono mode (one channel per string) supported
    Standard MIDI class driver for compatibility with PC's, MACs, iPads. Works with most DAWS, Recording Software, Tablature software and sound modules

On-board Synth

15 new professionally sampled guitar sounds: acoustics, electrics, basses*
    15 new professionally sampled synth sounds: piano, strings, pads, drums, synth leads*
    10 additional Limited Edition sounds* (Limited Edition Only)
    20 new on-board jamming and practice loops*
    Velocity switching samples supported for future downloadable content (DLC)*
    Stereo chorus effect built in*

Presets/Layers

100 preloaded presets combining sounds, tunings and modes.
    Customizable Layers can be mapped into used defined zones*
    GUITAR layer and SYNTH layer can be assigned sounds, transposition, volume, pan, MIDI channel, zone*
    You Rock Modes include, Major, Minor, Minor Pentatonic and Major Pentatonic scales*
    Most common open tunings pre-programmed
    User programmable open tunings
    Never Needs Tuning and is always ready to play
    One Shot recorder for on-the-go inspiration

*Limited Edition comes with signed Certificate of Authenticity

Elantric

I attached the new owners manuals for the latest "Gen 2" You Rock Guitar as PDF.

And here are some demos of the new sounds.

Last I checked HelloMusic still had a few of these  YRG "Gen2" Limited Edition versions for $199
http://www.hellomusic.com/ec/DealMain.aspx?did=15433

Elantric

I just got to play a bit with the new Gen 2 YRG - they fixed several things, and this is now a very decent MIDI Controller

germanicus

Quote from:  Elantric on August 29, 2012, 12:33:27 PM
I just got to play a bit with the new Gen 2 YRG - they fixed several things, and this is now a very decent MIDI Controller

Hello Music has them for $199 right now. If you use the code "Tweet20" you get 20 bucks off.

Figured for 180 it was worth pulling the trigger. Im doing alot of midi guitar controlling soft synths, and finding melodyne as a better way of inputting midi as opposed to using my gr55. I hope a keypad/button based controller will mean less glitches to remove.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Hopkins

Whoa, that's like the old SynthAxe but without the ergonomic improvements that the design allows!  (Or the extortionate price, for that matter...)

http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/synthaxe.html

Elantric

I'm very happy with the "Gen 2" YRG  - its very versatile

Hopkins

Just read a bit more and listened to those clips above - it seems like amazing value for money!  I am very tempted!

germanicus

after tooling with the gen2, im super impressed. the 'touch' mode is incredible for inputting midi into a daw.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Piing

I am tempted too.  ::)

BTW: Are there older versions of this thing, like "Gen 1" or "Gen 0"? I am asking because I have found one dealer here in Thailand, but the price is too low ($139) considering that all imported music gear is about 20-25% more expensive in Thailand. http://music-boulevard.weloveshopping.com/store/product/view/You_Rock_Guitar_YRG_1000_MIDI_Controller_Electric_Guitar-22892712-en.html

Piing

Elantric

(Germanicus wrote)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=recent

Quote(im getting spoiled using a Yourock now). The triple play looks cool, but its not going to track better than a Yourock in touch mode and live it requires extra gear id rather not schlepp (a computer with interface).

I also wanted to chime in and mention what a good tool the You Rock Gen II guitar is.

I should point out there is much hatred about the YRG in the ranks of MIDI guitarists  - mostly due to overzealous marketing shills with huge egos spamming the yahoo MIDIGuitar forum back in 2010.

But most of those bad seeds are no longer attached to the current You Rock Guitar company - as they have parted ways with the old  "Inspired Instruments" company that originally  distributed the YRG.

The YRG designer,  Cliff Elion is a brilliant engineer who goes way way back to the Photon MIDI guitar of 1987, which was purchased by Henry J at Gibson before killing the company  in

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/61683-youve-never-seen-les-paul-before.html

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1498085-Anyone-ever-hear-of-a-Les-Paul-Hyperspeed

and he has assembled a very good support crew  - highly recommended.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/you-rock-guitar-you-rock-guitar-2nd-generation/h86637005000007?src=3WFRWXX&CAWELAID=1684869945#used

QuoteA MIDI guitar with plenty of uses and zero latency.

The YRG is a MIDI guitar for recording, composing, and creating Tablature via MIDI. It can also be used stand-alone with its internal sounds.

This YRG marks the next evolution of the ever popular YRG-1000 by Inspired Instruments Inc., also known as YouRock Guitar. It is yet to be beat as the first fast tracking, no latency, affordable digital MIDI guitar on the market. The YRG's patented fingerboard technology and electronics have revolutionized the way a guitar player, other aspiring musician or DJ can create, record and play music.

The YRG connects to a host of mobile devices including the popular iPad to use with GarageBand. It also connects via USB to the MAC and PC. The YRG can be used with most recording and tablature software such as Logic, Reason and Ableton to name a few. Also compatible with Legacy MIDI synthesizer devices via its 5-pin MIDI connector.This versatile instrument never needs tuning and is backpack friendly. For beginners, or, if you enjoy games like Rocksmith and RockBand, the YRG is a perfect crossover instrument to real guitar playing.

Performance
New pickup system for improved reliability and consistency and firmware improvements to complement the new pickups.

Features
Firmware has been tweaked for a more musical experience. The new Layer and Zone structure allows two sets of sounds to be mapped on the fingerboard per user selection. Other new features: chorus effect, transposition, pan, zones can be stored per layer in the 99 presets.

Sounds
The onboard sounds are all new. Through a relationship with a professional sample house the built-in sound library is completely reworked to enhance the stand-alone capability of the YRG .
Features

Hardware:
    Improved pickup design*
    Removable pick-guard included.
    Detachable 22 fret guitar neck for portability
    Whammy bar
    Modulation joystick
    Bridge mute
    Standard ¼" guitar jack
    Stereo mini headphone output
    Stereo line-in for iPods and MP3 players
    High speed USB/MIDI interface
    MIDI output - 5-pin legacy connector
    GameFlex port connects wirelessly to Wii and PS/3 (Gameflex cartridge sold separately)
    Uses 4xAA batteries or USB power (sold separately)
    Firmware:
    Player Performance
    Slides up and down the neck are easier and more consistent*
    Adjustable open damping*
    Adjustable crosstalk filter*
    Monophonic mode (like a single voice synth)*
    Tracking and playability/feel improvements*
    MIDI Control
    New MIDI controller mode supports DAW's like Ableton Live!*
    User defined Joystick to MIDI controller mapping*
    Body Switches to MIDI controller (on/off) mapping*
    MIDI mono mode (one channel per string) supported
    Standard MIDI class driver for compatibility with PC's, MACs, iPads. Works with most DAWS, Recording Software, Tablature software and sound modules
    On-board Synth
    15 new professionally sampled guitar sounds: acoustics, electrics, basses*
    15 new professionally sampled synth sounds: piano, strings, pads, drums, synth leads*
    20 new on-board jamming and practice loops*
    Velocity switching samples supported for future downloadable content (DLC)*
    Stereo chorus effect built in*
    Presets/Layers
    100 preloaded presets combining sounds, tunings and modes.
    Customizable Layers can be mapped into used defined zones*
    GUITAR layer and SYNTH layer can be assigned sounds, transposition, volume, pan, MIDI channel, zone*
    You Rock Modes include, Major, Minor, Minor Pentatonic and Major Pentatonic scales*
    Most common open tunings pre-programmed
    User programmable open tunings
    Never Needs Tuning and is always ready to play
    One Shot recorder for on-the-go inspiration
    * Indicates new feature

Take advantage of these second generation features. Order today.

Since some folks ask - this is the YRG GUI config app for OSX