FCB-1010 + UNO firmware = powerful affordable footcontrol

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2008, 06:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

vauge99

Ok, good evening fellow vg-heads,

my english is not the best, but I try to write slowly  ;D I´m new to this forum, so don´t be upset, if I ask stupid things at the wrong places  :) First question: I own a brand new vg-99 and looking for a floorboard. My dealer warned me about the behringer fc1010. It would not work correctly with the roland gear. Is he right? I want the board to switch patches and the 2 pedals for wahwah and volume. Thank you for read ´till this point

vauge99

Brent Flash

Quote from: vauge99 on July 23, 2008, 01:42:38 PM
Ok, good evening fellow vg-heads,
my english is not the best, but I try to write slowly  ;D I´m new to this forum, so don´t be upset, if I ask stupid things at the wrong places  :) First question: I own a brand new vg-99 and looking for a floorboard. My dealer warned me about the behringer fc1010. It would not work correctly with the roland gear. Is he right? I want the board to switch patches and the 2 pedals for wahwah and volume. Thank you for read ´till this point
vauge99
Welcome to the forum!
Get the Roland FC-300, you won't be sorry. Much easier!
There are users that are happy with the 1010 but if you want the most control go with the FC-300. IMHO :)

vauge99

Thanks for that immediate reply :)
Over hear in Germany the FC-300 is about 300.-€. The 1010 goes for a littler more than half of that price, and I could buy a used one for about 100.- € So my thoughts were: To buy the use one and spend another 16.- € for the eprom....
By the way... I lend the roland rig from my dealer (he had to order the new one) and had 2 days later 2 gigs.. great sound, much better than with my pod x3 live, which I sold because of quality problems.

vauge99

Dukemaster

Anyone have a sysex that makes the FCB-1010 work like the FC-300?
If so can they attach and post it here please?

sixeight

An FCB1010 will never work exactly like an FC300. It is just a different animal all together. FC300 integrates better with VG-99, but is more expensive. FCB1010 is a bit more work to get sorted, but is cheaper in the end.

GeePeeAxe

I have now the FCB1010 without the uno firmware.
Really nice unit for less than 100 euro! Finally I can
switch between patches with feet ! Today I programmed
the VG-99 to respond to the exp pedals of Behringer too.
Love it !

(OK, I love both units...)
Djordje
www.midiguitar.de

thebrushwithin

Please tell me how you got the exp pedals to work with the VG00. I would very much apprecite it. I have been using it with my VG88 with no problems, but only patch changes with the 99. Thank you very much.
Mark

Brent Flash

Quote from: thebrushwithin on August 14, 2010, 06:33:56 AM
Please tell me how you got the exp pedals to work with the VG00. I would very much apprecite it. I have been using it with my VG88 with no problems, but only patch changes with the 99. Thank you very much.
Mark
Welcome to the group thebrushwithin!  :)

You want to know how with the 1010? The VG has to be setup to respond to the CC# that the 1010 sends out. This is done in the CONTROL ASSIGN section. Let us know if you can't figure it out and we will be happy to help.

glennfin

I've been using an FCB1010 for years now to foot control all kinds of MIDI gear.

I don't see anything the FC300 can do that the FCB can't do, besides connecting to the VG99 with a single ethernet cable....

But....for the extra money the FC300 costs, you get a foot controller that was designed to be used with the VG99, the on screen editing, etc...... that single cable interface to the VG99 is pretty nice!  8)

sixeight

Gastric

Quote from: glennfin on September 13, 2010, 12:53:28 PM
I don't see anything the FC300 can do that the FCB can't do, besides connecting to the VG99 with a single ethernet cable....

One thing the FCB1010 cannot do that I believe the Roland FC300 can is provided named patches. I always found the FCB1010 extremely annoying in that regard, more so after installing UNO.

whippinpost91850

Anybody here ever have the FCB1010 programming just go away?? I went to practice last night and could not switch any of the programs an my preamp or GR55 :'(
I have 2 gigs tomorrow and would hate to have this happen live.

whippinpost91850

Just to let you know. I had ordered a Eureka prom for my FCB1010 from Eureka Sound. When they found out it wouldn't do what I needed, They immediatly(without being asked) cancelled my order and refunded my money.
  Kudo's to Eureka Sound for not trying to shove something I couldn't use, down my throat.

Elantric

QuoteJust to let you know. I had ordered a Eureka prom for my FCB1010 from Eureka Sound. When they found out it wouldn't do what I needed, They immediatly(without being asked) cancelled my order and refunded my money.
  Kudo's to Eureka Sound for not trying to shove something I couldn't use, down my throat.

Eureka PROM is primarily  for using the FCB-1010 with the Roger Linn Addrenalinn

But they do list it as VG-99 compatible too:
More here:
http://www.eurekasound.com/

whippinpost91850

I wanted it to work for me, but it will not send program change info on multiple MIDI channels.

nosaintnick

So I know my way around the fcb pretty well. I use both the ripwerx and mountain sys editors and have the UnO chip. However I can't figure out how to send a sysex message rather than a program change.

I copied the messages the VG99 editor uses to turn the first control assign 2 target on and off. They are
"F0 41 00 00 00 1C 12 60 00 70 1C 01 13 F7" to turn it on and "F0 41 00 00 00 1C 12 60 00 70 1C 00 14 F7" to turn it off. I basically just want to trigger the wav controller manually with the fcb but I don't know what field I enter these messages into either on the ripwerx or mountain sys editors.

With the ripwerx editor there is a checkbox to turn on the sysex send ability for each footswitch but the numeric field won't accept such a large command (you can paste the number into it but after sending it to the board it's interpreted as
F0 00 00 00 07 F7). There is also a global field to enter in a 3 byte sysex id number but not really sure what part of those commands constitute the id.

Any thoughts?

whippinpost91850

CAN ANYONE WHO HAS A FCB1010 HELP ME. WHEN I  USE MY (FRESHLY CALIBRATED) EXP. B PEDAL WITH MY KEMPER, IT ACTS LIKE A COMBINATION WA/ REVERSE VOLUME PEDAL ??? INSTEAD OF JUST A WA. :'(..... i'M USING A N UNO CHIP AND RIPWERX TO PROGRAM. SENDS PROGRAM CHANGE AND VOLUME PEDAL WORKS FINE

nosaintnick

Seems like the problem is on the Kemper end. You can't send more than one controller with the expression pedals at a time (though they can be toggled between two control numbers). There is a midi watch window under the tools tab that will show you what messages are being sent real time. Check that to make sure you know what number is coming from the pedal.

whippinpost91850

arkieboy

There are two key options when setting up the FCB to work with the VG99: do you use stomp box mode or not?

After many years of working with GR gear I am in the habit of changing patches rather than modifying them, so I'll present a non-stomp use case here.  Additionally I tend to reuse the same basic rhythm sounds - nylon, 12, clean chorus, lightly distorted marshall and a more HM style JCM800 chug - again and again so it makes sense to have a bigger pool of patches.  Given roughly one lead sound per song, that means I get five songs in a bank :-)

Just because you are not in stomp box mode doesn't stop you from having switched controllers - you can set up the patch pedals to additionally send a controller message provided you tell the uno chip to suppress further program change messages.  In this way, once you select a patch you can continue to use that pedal as a momentary or latched controller. In my setup the bottom row of switches send controller 64 (damper pedal) set to be momentary and the top row send controller 65 (portmanteau) latched.  This allows me to tap tempo/hold on patches in the lower bank, and switch in an effect - usually a harmony part or toggle Leslie speed - on the upper bank.

The continuous controllers are set to 1 (modulation) and 4 (foot controller). As with the switched controller numbers these are chosen to be useful in guitar-to-midi applications too.  The pedals can also be seen as latched controllers so I get the full range of options on my rhythm sounds, which need to be versatile.

Patch messages sent are strictly incremental, 0-1 sends pc-1, 0-2 sends pc-2 and 1-1 sends pc-11.  By using the patch mapping facility in the 99 to assign the right patches to the right pedals I can now forget about the FCB setup.

All that remains is to assign a VG99 patch to each incoming program change message, and patch the controllers to the parameters in those patches I wish to control.

Setting the patch map: from the patch select screen press system, midi (F6), page right four times and make sure RX PC MAP is set on, then press it again to access the map list.  F2 and F3 move you up and down the list, and the F5 knob selects the sound that is selected when that patch number is received.

I usually make a spreadsheet in excel or a word table and plan out my banks, then print it to take to rehearsal.

To set the controller assignments, from the patch select screen press CONTROL ASSIGN, press page right 6 times until you see CONTROL ASSIGN 1-6.  Press F1 to select the first assignment then rotate the F1 knob fully clockwise so it says CC.  Then turn the F2 knob until it says either 1 (FCB pedal A), 4 (FCB pedal B), 64 (momentary bottom row) or 65 (latched top row) depending on your requirement then use F4, F5 and F6 to set the destination parameter in the VG99.  Repeat for as many control assignments you want to set.

I'll upload the sysex for the FCB later if anyone thinks it might be useful

Hope this helped.  Corrections gratefully received

Steve

Note: I prefer to avoid controller 7 as subtle differences in its implementation on different devices can lead to problems. Some devices receive 7 as patch volume - sending cc7:125 to a synth patch set at a volume of 50/127 will increase its volume to 125/127; others scale it to the current patch volume so that c7:127 is the volume you programmed and lower values of c7 will reduce the volume of the synth which seems to me more sensible.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

arkieboy

Example spreadsheet screenshot attached.  Sysex file to follow when I get round to booting my windows laptop ...

s

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

arkieboy

Ok, after some more delving into the VG99, I've found you don't have to choose between latching an non-latching modes as the VG has a latching option - my latest FCB setup now has a momentary controller sending controller 64 messages under all of the patch change pedals.  You can use this for momentary functions - such as a momentary freeze - or for latching ones - such as switching on a wah pedal - simply by setting the correct option on the '99.

I find this and the two pedals are enough realtime control for me and the advantages of having 10 patches instantly accessible now outweigh the FC300 by some margin.

This is how you set controller 64 to switch on the wah pedal with the first press, and switch it off with the second one.

* Select 'control assign' from the front panel
* use the 'page' buttons to get to page 7
* select 'asgn1'
* in page one set 'source' to be 'CC' by turning the rotary control all the way clockwise
* select #64 using F2 - the control assign now responds to the control message sent by the FCB
* set 'SW' (F3) to 'on'
* repeatedly press F4 until the target parameter is the FX bank where your wah pedal is (for me FX(A))
* turn F5 until you get to wah
* turn F6 until you get to wah sw
* go to page 2 of the control assign option and select 'Latch' for 'SW MODE'.  Now a press of the FCB pedal will switch the wah on, and the next press will switch it off
* check 'min' is 'off' and 'max' is switched 'on' (F2 and F3)
* press exit several times and save your changes

All that remains is to set 'asgn2' to send CC1 messages to the wah pedal pos and you are controlling the wah in your VG99 from the FCB

Hope this is clear

Steve

[size=78%]  [/size]

Elantric

Midi Foot Controller Behringer FCB1010 (size reduced / Modded (Russian)
http://gasclub.livejournal.com/1167.html

(Google Translation)
Once I needed a MIDI foot controller and I bought Behringer. With two expression pedals, with the possibility pereprogramirovaniya firmware, and most importantly cheap! What more is needed?) But he bastard was heavy and huge (
And it has been decided to zamodit bit: to saw - thus reduce the disadvantages :) The demand was that he could get into the rack frame and make it more fun. Here's what I got :)

That such nyashka. Pokras figovenko and holes are not very nice to get the back side ... but oh well ...
Devyatikontaktny gash in, what would one wire to transmit MIDI, switching between the two switches and phantom power. The bottom panel of the PCB did - it lighter than the original steel. Still plans to sign the buttons and inputs.

And here fotochka to compare how much I sawed off.

The most important thing now to buy and put UNO Chip with steeper firmware.

---

mbenigni

QuoteMidi Foot Controller Behringer FCB1010 (size reduced / Modded (Russian)

Now that is cool!