Positive Grid BT-4 Bluetooth MIDI Controller First Impressions

Started by GuitarBuilder, November 26, 2015, 12:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuitarBuilder

Just got my BT-4 as part of the pre-order process.  At first glance, it is a solid, heavy, well-made foot controller.  The momentary switches feel very solid as well.  It has an on/off switch and a TRS effects pedal jack on the back.

I downloaded the BT Pedal Editor app onto my iPad and was able to easily connect with the BT-4 via bluetooth.  There are a number of factory presets for BIAS FX and JamUP, as well as 19 User presets.  Switch assignment is very simple: tap on the switch label and configure the switch for single tap as well as long press.  You can select all the controls for JamUP XT and BIAS FX from a menu or go to MIDI Mode for CC and PC commands.  Very nice and easy indeed!

Now for the not-so-great part: after selecting any of the factory presets, there is absolutely no response when pressing a switch on the BT-4!  I tried it with BIAS FX and JamUP, as well as various other presets.  Either I'm completely incompetent (I followed all the instructions to the letter) or there's a hidden trick in uploading the presets to the switch.  Needless to say, I submitted a ticket to tech support and awaiting the (hopefully embarrassingly simple) response!   ::) :P ;D
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

kovacs

Uh-oh...hoping it gets fixed quickly. I'm still waiting for mine. :)
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Elantric

Use a IOS MIDI MONITOR app to verify you see MIDI Message traffic from BT-4

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Elantric on November 28, 2015, 01:52:18 PM
Use a IOS MIDI MONITOR app to verify you see MIDI Message traffic from BT-4

I did - zero messages.  The LEDs on the BT-4 don't even light up when depressing a switch.  Somehow the presets are not being stored on the BT-4.   ??? ???

Elantric

Idgolfguy wrote>

Thought I'd have to include the G'day.
Been reading the forum for awhile as I've been a Guitar Synth user since the 80's.

Got back into playing a couple of years ago when I started using the IOS modelling. I gig occasionally using IPads 4 and Pro (12.1) with the Positive Grid apps. Using Ik's Blueboard and PG's BT4 for wireless midi.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18826.msg134307#msg134307

I'll preface my setup with an overview of my setup.

I don't play professionally. I did it for a living in the 80s. These days, I'm in IT. Stopped playing completely in the 90s and got back into playing about two years ago.

I play in a 14 piece band with eclectic music, 4 piece light rockish band. I also periodically gig in pickup bands and the odd session as I read.

As stated in my first post, my main live setup now is HK Nano 600, Ipad 4 running BiasFX through a Line 6 Sonic Port. The Blueboard and BT4 coupled with the two EV-5 are my app controllers.

Platforms:
Ipad 4 and Ipad Pro 12.1
Surface Pro (original)

Music Apps on the Ipad (not conclusive)
PG - Bias, Bias FX, Jamup Pro, Tone Stack, Amplitube, Ampkit, Mobile Pod, ForScore

The Blueboard is setup
Settings:
Mode: Ctrl Change
Allow Bank Change: On
Send PC in Ctrl Change Mode: On
Footswitches Backlight: ON

On a single bank for CC for the following:
A - CC52 - Overdrive effects (On/Off)
B - CC53 - Modulation effects (including Wha On/Off)
C - CC54 - Delay effects (On/Off)
D - CC55 - Tap

EV-5 CC7 - Volume
EV-5 CC 01 - Wha Swell

With BiasFX, the CCs are set individually on each effect. I switch different combinations of effects in and out.
With JamUp, the CCs are set based on effect type or group.

As I may choose between Jamup and BiasFX, I've coordinated the CCs to be similar.

BT4 Setup
I don't have a pedal connected to in yet. When I find an EV-5 for sale, will pick it up.
I use the BT 4 in 2 modes - Bank View and Preset View.

Bank View:
A Page+ which moves to the next bank
B Page- which moves down one bank
C Preset+ which moves to the previous preset
D Preset- which moves to the previous preset

Preset View:
A Preset A
B Preset B
C Preset B
D Preset D

I have hard coded button A (hold press) to take me to Bank View and button B (hold press) for Preset View.
I found the Tap functionality flaky on the BT4. May be a latency issue. The BB is better and accurate for Tap delay etc.

Overall, the build on the BT 4 is better physically but the switches are too hard and noisy. The BB has better software features and more intuitive to programme.

Codeseven

Thanks for this comparison. I was just looking into whether to buy a robust looking BZt-4 or a Blueboard. This is at least the second time Izvestia read that the BT-4 has latency issues.

I'll probably then either go with the Blueboard or perhaps invest in the upcoming PG Distortion box and use it for MIDI control.

Elantric

Most Bluetooth controllers do have latency issues

the Korg nanokontrol have lowest latency for a wireless midi controller

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18403.msg122261#msg122261

Codeseven

It'll be interesting to see if latency becomes a thing of the past when Bluetooth 5 arrives.

GuitarBuilder

I did not post my update - the BT-4 switches require much more force to activate than my other foot switches (and there's a loud snap); I was testing it by hand at first - obviously works fine when you step on it with all your body weight.  However I think this does add a little to the latency because the switch is not instantly activated.

Latency is pretty bad; I decided to go back to using a wired MIDI controller via IK iRig PRO into iPad.

Idgolfguy

I liked the BlueBoard better.
I got both so that I can use both wirelessly.

Is the latency caused by the app's slow response rather than the pedals themselves!