Alternative to axon

Started by bb25, September 15, 2015, 02:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bb25

Hi , I used to use an axon ax 50 with an rmc 13 pin midi pick up built into
My guitar running through Apple mainstage , I sold the axon over five years
Ago but now I want to get back into midi guitar only to find the axon is discontinued,
Could anybody advise as to what a good alternative would be to this , bearing in
Mind I already have the 13 pin guitar and the synth sounds of Apple mainstage ,
Thanks in advance .

gumtown

Boss GP-10 or Roland GR-55 if you want to keep the RMC 13 pin system.
These include built in synth, guitar & amp modelling and effects, plus the guitar to midi (via USB only for the GP-10).

Fishman Triple Play including GK style pickup built in - wireless guitar to midi.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

bb25

Thank you , what I want is something without the synth sounds
Etc , just for playing the synths within logic , I would like something
With a string split option but not totally nessesary , would the Roland gi 10
Be any good ?

gumtown

Gi-10, or Gi-20 will do but the USB drivers are no longer supported unless the unit is set to USB compatibility mode, or a USB-Midi device is used.
Any Roland GK synth will do guitar to midi, the newest do it best (debated by some), a GR-20 will do what a GI-20 does, plus the internal synths are seen as an extra bonus.

The GP-10 do midi note out to, with lots of GK settings to fine tune your setup, and the OSC synth will give features that midi synths can't do in expressive control, (since the modelled synths work with the original signal as the synth oscillator instead of midi conversion).

The Fishman Triple play is said to give the best guitar to midi results.

So there are many options...
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

bb25

Thanks very much for your help , I'll probably hold on and see if I can get a used axon

kenact

There are Windows 7 drivers for the GI-20, both 32 & 64 bit.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7