PRIMOVA - MIDX-10 Roland/Boss compatible 5-pin to USB converter (GP-10 etc.)

Started by CodeSmart, July 30, 2015, 06:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippinpost91850

gtlist

Is this still available? I just find it. This is the last thing that my gp-10 perfect.
Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe hss with gk3.Tom Anderson Atom wraparound bridge.
Tom Anderson Crowdster plus+ with gk3.
Steinberger GTPro hsh with sustainer pu and Gk3
Taylor 814CE,   Taylor GS Mini, Epiphone masterbilt dr500mce, martin xt1
Roland Gp-10, voicelive 3, Boss Sy-1000

CodeSmart

Quote from: gtlist on August 25, 2015, 07:50:10 PM
Is this still available? I just find it. This is the last thing that my gp-10 perfect.
It's in prototype stage. Got first PCB and raw enclosures incoming now. The get into the waiting list, email sound@primova.se
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: CodeSmart on August 18, 2015, 01:52:31 PM
Ok, I add connector to the PCB for a connector and try to implement it in the software. I have free I/O pins. I've already written "clever" MIDI merge code for the GKMX-33 project so it should be possible. If working OK I see two alternative ways of doing it mechanically: Alt A and Alt B

(A) Using circular holes for a Micro push button and a 3mm LED and the Flash the setting between sessions,
or (B) use a Slider switch (however rectangular holes are painful).

What is best from a user standpoint? Give me your vote!!!

I would prefer Alt B
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

CodeSmart

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 26, 2015, 12:58:57 PM
I would prefer Alt B
I hate to admit it's also my preference.

I have received the prototype PCB and found out a few quirks on the power side, however computer-wise it's up and running. Will soon order a new set of boards. At least the board I soldered up allows me to finalize the software.

I have the merge code to implement, code for the LED's, problem with re-attaching Roland gear the third time (probably a heap memory leak) and a case were MIDI out data is sent twice by the UART. Need to fix these things...

Have received raw alu enclosures but I won't making any drilling until I have a final PCB in my hand. There's no undo button on the drilling machine. 8)

CodeSmart

Spent the day with the debugger. Debugging with PIC-Kit3 is a bit challenging and time consuming. Found out where the leaks were located by encapsulating and counting heap memory allocation and freeing. Now I can attach and detach (plug/unplug) a Roland USB device unlimited times. Also have most of MIDI Merge functionality in place. Merge/Thru also works without a USB device attached.

I had to stop and go rehearsing with the band tonight so there's still some work to do.

I haven't yet tracked down why incoming USB MIDI data is a transmitted twice via the MIDI out USART. Might be a problem with the circular buffers. I have four of them spinning around plus the new merge data buffers. Pointers and circular buffers with tail/ head indices can be nasty. Especially when you are limited in debugging features.

There's only one way forward, and that is to spend more hours another day 8)

CodeSmart

I'm happy  ;D because tonight I got hours off and managed to found the the last bump in the Boss/Roland outback windy roads and made a fixup for it.

The MIDI MERGE functionality was not easily made. I hope it's working properly as it's difficult to simulate all the possible collisions between the two data streams, letting the first taking priority over the other until the variable length MIDI message is completed or a timeout occur. It seams to work. I have also noted that GP-10 already by itself actually echoes many of the MIDI messages it receives (the ones it does not respond to) back to sender, so I'm not sure how useful the Merge feature will be.

Real time status messages are transparent and has highest priority over the normal traffic and they don't make the IN & OUT LED's flash. The status LED will be yellow while unattached and green when attached to a device. In case of error (should not happen) it start to blink red. As said before, unplugging and re-plugging various devices is now bullet-proof without a power-off.

I think now I have a working release candidate of the firmware  8)

Regarding the PCB I hope to be able to send files for production of the second (and hopefully last) incarnation tomorrow. The "only" problem with first board was the 5 volt generation (failed to read data sheets/current limitations properly and ordered stuff that started to smell very bad as it got smoked).

I will asap make a strip-down 5V powered board for SixEight so he can try it within his project with that many SysEx messages (I guess they can be more software challanging than regular 1-3 byte MIDI transfers).
Sorry guys it takes so long time, but everything is more complex than first realized.

gumtown

It is looking good!!
Midi merge is a difficult one, like a set of traffic lights.
hopefully no one uses it to do a firmware update via the merger.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Jim Williams

Looks great, nice and pedalboard friendly. I can't wait. Great job bro.
+1

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

batman

Yeah this looks very cool and much better than having to mess around with a Raspberry Pi.  Awesome work.

joaobraga

CodeSmart

Thanks all. I have built and posted a board to SixEight today for his MIDI controller project.
Will be interesting to see how it works.
New PCB's are now in production, normally get them within a week.
Probably time to start drilling enclosures. Plan is to ship only a handful first, in case something shows up. There's no boot loader in it (didn't have time), so to do firmware updates I unfortunately need to get the unit back.

sixeight

Jim Williams

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Joskoh

whippinpost91850

CodeSmart

Well, wife is out having fun so I might as well write a draft for the MIDX-10 manual.
If someone with a better English than me would care to proof read it I would be very thankful  :)
Any input is greatly appreciated.

http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX_10_Manual.pdf

Elantric

Since the SY-300 already has a 5pin MIDI I/O - I would omit mention of SY-300, instead state the Primova MIDX-10 is compatible with "Boss GT-001" instead!

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on September 04, 2015, 04:33:32 PM
Since the SY-300 already has a 5pin MIDI I/O - I would omit mention of SY-300, instead state the Primova MIDX-10 is compatible with "Boss GT-001" instead!
Well Elantric, Yup, that's a good selling point but I don't have a Boss GT-001 to verify with. But I have actually verified the other guys, GR-55, GP-10, SY-300 haven't tried my recent VG-99 but will do ASAP. If someone here has a GT-001 please let me know. My companion guitarist in the band has a GT-100 but I'm not sure it will 100% verify as a GT-001...I also haven't tried my GT-10  ::)

Elantric

If you have access to a GT-100 - test it !

I bet both the  GT-100 and the GT-001 share the same USB chipset and architecture

sixeight

Package received. No time to test this weekend though. Just been out all day and band practise tonight. Tomorrow also fully planned. One of the busiest weekends of the year...

But its looking good. Smaller than a Raspberry Pi and I expect it will boot a lot faster too.

CodeSmart

Quote from: sixeight on September 05, 2015, 09:28:56 AM
But its looking good. Smaller than a Raspberry Pi and I expect it will boot a lot faster too.
Great you got it so fast. It will boot in milliseconds. It's just need lock the PLL and kick the USB stack in action.

I bent the legs of the LEDs when packing, give them a facelift and they'll shine.

Take your time. I'll be waiting 8)

CodeSmart

Gundy raised a question if the MIDX-10 can connect to several devices using a hub. The answer at this time is NO

CodeSmart

I got to leave this thing for a while. Got a brain meltdown regarding SysEx problems with Midx-10. Thanks to Sixeight (blessing you) Stuff is not doing what is expected. Might be a higher level of abstraction I can't figure out and its terrible frustrated. PC now working, CC now working but got mumbojumbo bouncing back. Pedal buttons report PC and Guitar-MIDI  ok. GR-55 sluggish in patch change while connected, why? Also discovered that Edirol UM-1 and Roland UM-ONE mk-2 uses same weird things (special Roland driver #^^*+*%%)

Tried:
- Finding source code of Jack actually revealing issues - no way
- Running PC USB protocol analyzers (tried three variants) - nobody home, could not capture USB streams, might try a another older computer).
- Do I need to get a a hardware analyzer at $1000?

I've invested in hardware to produce pretty many units but I'm foubar regarding the firmware, arghhh  :'(

Got two weekends of gigs so I'll give this crap a sleep. I really tried and I'm very f*****g tired of it.
Sorry guys, did my best.
Robert